CBV collection centre spam calls

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2021 8:53 pm
[OP]
Jan 3, 2021
38 posts
6 upvotes

CBV collection centre spam calls

How can I stop spam calls from CBV collection centre. They seem to be calling from different number each time. I am not the one they are looking for and would instantly disconnect when I confront. They would not remove my number from their files. Such a nuisance.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
2346 posts
2419 upvotes
GTA
You can turn on silence unknown callers on your iPhone or Android phones.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5698 posts
3662 upvotes
I gave them a taste of their own medicine. I used a VoIP service to automatically call all of their office numbers and play a recording that says "CBV Collections, stop calling the phone number *****", and I sent dozens of pages of fax to their fax numbers. Not only did they stop calling, they also blocked my number from calling them. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8709 posts
9674 upvotes
The Prairies
Send a registered letter and tell them to stop calling your number or be sued.

I get they have a job to do, but some go over the top and go on a power trip, and need to be put in their place.
They need to accept the possibility that they have the wrong number, but on another note, I’m sure they hear that line every time they call somebody.
Jan 19, 2006
514 posts
325 upvotes
BC
Had the same BS from these clowns.

They were calling my Telus landline, so I subscribed to "Call Control" and blocked all the CBV collection centre phone numbers I could find on Google and their calls never got through again.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10361 posts
2289 upvotes
Victoria
They've been hounding me for what feels like a decade because I might of forgotten to pay a speeding ticket I got in a different province in '98. They're relentless. I use call control to screen on my cell, but they figured out my work number too.

I guess one of these days I could deal with it, but it's become principal.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2137 posts
1644 upvotes
GTA West
Some years ago I had to change my phone number to get away from collection agencies. That happened when I got a new line and found out that the previous owner was a deadbeat who owed money to a lot of companies. They said they would stop calling if I identified myself - yeah, sure! Changing the number was the easy, sure way out.

This week I got a call intended for a remote relative with the same last name. I was surprised that the caller, while rude, believed me when I said I was not the party they wanted to reach. She promised to remove my number from that file. Maybe she realized my voice belongs to a person twice as old as their debtor.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10489 posts
2113 upvotes
Nowhere
I'm having a similar problem but I'm dealing with multiple collection agencies. I believe CBV was one of them. I can't keep track of all the acronyms. In June of this year, I started receiving calls from collection agencies on my cellphone for some guy I've never heard of. At first I thought it was a scam but they were all asking for the same guy. I have had this number for 20 years. There are mostly robocalls and are coming from multiple different agencies. When I looked up the companies, they are all bottom of the barrel collection agencies that pursue old debt. There are about 10 different companies calling if not more. I've lost count of them all. It's like whack-a-mole, I get rid of one and another pops up.

A few times when a real person called they have refused to tell which agency they were calling from so I know which ones were told not to call. One claimed to be with Bell Mobility and another said Bell Canada. My number was not a Bell number. One guy I spoke to who was nice said that the information they have is very old when I told him that I've had the number for 20 yrs. Others have been really nasty and when I said I didn't know the guy, they started asking for all kinds of other people. I have reported some to the do not call list.

I picked this number 20 yrs ago and don't want to give it up but now I am missing my own calls because I just assume it is one of them calling. This is a pay as you go phone that I use for emergencies so they are wasting my airtime at $.30 a minute. In the past week, they started texting me. At least now I finally have the correct spelling of this guy's name. Does anyone know if there is a central list with debts so I can get my number disassociated with this name?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7362 posts
3483 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Cheap Cat wrote: I'm having a similar problem but I'm dealing with multiple collection agencies. I believe CBV was one of them. I can't keep track of all the acronyms. In June of this year, I started receiving calls from collection agencies on my cellphone for some guy I've never heard of. At first I thought it was a scam but they were all asking for the same guy. I have had this number for 20 years. There are mostly robocalls and are coming from multiple different agencies. When I looked up the companies, they are all bottom of the barrel collection agencies that pursue old debt. There are about 10 different companies calling if not more. I've lost count of them all. It's like whack-a-mole, I get rid of one and another pops up.

A few times when a real person called they have refused to tell which agency they were calling from so I know which ones were told not to call. One claimed to be with Bell Mobility and another said Bell Canada. My number was not a Bell number. One guy I spoke to who was nice said that the information they have is very old when I told him that I've had the number for 20 yrs. Others have been really nasty and when I said I didn't know the guy, they started asking for all kinds of other people. I have reported some to the do not call list.

I picked this number 20 yrs ago and don't want to give it up but now I am missing my own calls because I just assume it is one of them calling. This is a pay as you go phone that I use for emergencies so they are wasting my airtime at $.30 a minute. In the past week, they started texting me. At least now I finally have the correct spelling of this guy's name. Does anyone know if there is a central list with debts so I can get my number disassociated with this name?
Put in contacts names so that see on call display. If no call display name you are familiar with then don't answer.

You can always check VM from landline or non pay as you go phone.
Selling Viking 7 winters on steel wheels. Good for Subaru and some Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Lexus, Toyota. Almost New, less then 1k kms used.

viking-contact-7-winter-tires-steel-wheels-2507125/
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10489 posts
2113 upvotes
Nowhere
georvu wrote: Put in contacts names so that see on call display. If no call display name you are familiar with then don't answer.

You can always check VM from landline or non pay as you go phone.
During this same time, I have been dealing with numerous health care providers for my elderly mom between arranging home care and getting her into long term care. My cell number was given as a back up in case of emergencies as I need to be reached but most people call it first. Unfortunately with many people still working from home, they block their numbers so it is hard to know who is calling. So I'd still have to check whether it was for me or not. The other big problem is that the phone is ringing all the time. Some days they call every 20 minutes with various different numbers throughout the day. Some numbers have called me over 50 times in a short period. 9 out of 10 calls aren't for me so I started ignoring them and then I miss important calls. Before this started, my phone hardly rang because I only gave this number out for emergencies. Most people know to call me at home. At home, I don't carry my cell phone around with me so before if my cell phone rang, I knew it was an important call I would run to get it, now I don't bother and have missed important calls.

The blocked numbers still leave a voicemail even though I changed my outgoing message to say I am not the person they are looking for. When I can, I have been checking voice mail on landline. But again given the numbers of calls and vm messages, I don't always check and have missed the odd important messages.

The point is that they have taken over my phone and should not be allowed to do this. There seems to be no easy way to stop them. Anyone I have talked to who has had a similar problem says to change my number. I don't want to change a 20 yr old number. Every time I stop one collection agency, another pops up. This started in June and today, a new agency texted me. There should be a central way that I can get my number off whatever list it is on associated with this person. How is that this only started after 20yrs? If these were old debts, where were these people all these years? I never heard this name until June when this started. I'm in Ontario if that helps. It seems we need stronger laws to protect people, especially innocent people, from collection agencies.
Feb 15, 2018
216 posts
157 upvotes
hvwkzq wrote: I gave them a taste of their own medicine. I used a VoIP service to automatically call all of their office numbers and play a recording that says "CBV Collections, stop calling the phone number *****", and I sent dozens of pages of fax to their fax numbers. Not only did they stop calling, they also blocked my number from calling them. Face With Tears Of Joy
Somehow I think you are this guy! =)
Oct 8, 2020
295 posts
434 upvotes
Ottawa
A few years ago my mom got a call from CBV about a 15-year old debt from Telus. When I pulled my mom's credit report, the alleged debt wasn't even on there.

My mom wrote a letter to CBV giving me consent to deal with them on her behalf. I subsequently wrote a letter to CBV instructing them to send us proof of said debt but denying she owed anything and to sue her if they believed we were mistaken. Never heard from them again!