• May 19th, 2009 10:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3547 posts
1161 upvotes

[Canada Computers] CC: 8 gig 133x Kingston CF cards ~$26

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... id=990.437

Kingston 8gig CF cards 133x speed going for $25.99 at Canada Computers. Given the 4 Gig cards are a few dollars less and getting the 266x cards are $146 each, this could be considered quite the steal.

Not too bad if you're looking for some CF cards for a DSLR. Not the fastest stuff out there but good enough for the average user.
11 replies
Jan 26, 2007
133 posts
I had luck with this brand way back. So when these came on sale at Canada Computers last fall (at a similar price) I bought one of them... 133x 8 gigs. ......

Worse decision ever made. The card was slow on my Canon 40D. Took forever to write, forever to read. Never again.
Feb 9, 2007
270 posts
186 upvotes
Scarborough
Very disappointed, will never buy Kingston memory card again.
halcyon wrote:
May 18th, 2009 9:06 am
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... id=990.437

Kingston 8gig CF cards 133x speed going for $25.99 at Canada Computers. Given the 4 Gig cards are a few dollars less and getting the 266x cards are $146 each, this could be considered quite the steal.

Not too bad if you're looking for some CF cards for a DSLR. Not the fastest stuff out there but good enough for the average user.
Dec 31, 2006
386 posts
11 upvotes
Greater Tarana Area
001CEO wrote:
May 18th, 2009 11:02 am
Very disappointed, will never buy Kingston memory card again.
Exact opposite for me. Just bought one for my dslr... zero probs. R/W speed is just fine.

Is it model specific? My research said any faster than 133x was a waste of $$ for the Sony a200k (ie thats the fastest its going to R/w) ...maybe the Canon 40D need faster memory?
Up to 100% OFF
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3547 posts
1161 upvotes
I got 2 of these and after some of the comments and reviews online, looks to be a bit of hit and miss.

Just taking a few test shots in burst mode on a D300, everything seemed fine. Using a Lexar 8Gig 300x, the Lexar obviously writes faster. I get the impression if you need to take pics that require speed (ie. sports photography, low light conditions), probably best to avoid this.

My fear is whether this sucker is reliable. A lot of "this is a great product" stories but not without it's share of "where'd all my pics go" horror storries. I'm thinking of returning one of the two that I got. I'd probably just stick this in a Nikon D70 when it's just fun pics with friends but wouldn't trust it for a wedding or for work.
Mar 8, 2007
140 posts
3 upvotes
My concern isn't the consistency of quality from Kingston - their stuff is great - but whether or not these are genuine cards. Counterfeit flash memory is everywhere, and with the issues reported here by just a few RFDers, it makes me think CC's supply is suspect.

For me, this is a case of too good to be true.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1731 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
I have the 4gig version of this card, did not observe any slowness on a 40d.

But counterfeiting is definitely a concern though.
May 17, 2005
305 posts
Nepean, ON
halcyon wrote:
May 18th, 2009 12:24 pm
I got 2 of these and after some of the comments and reviews online, looks to be a bit of hit and miss.

Just taking a few test shots in burst mode on a D300, everything seemed fine. Using a Lexar 8Gig 300x, the Lexar obviously writes faster. I get the impression if you need to take pics that require speed (ie. sports photography, low light conditions), probably best to avoid this.
I'm sure you mis-spoke there. What in the world does low-light conditions have to do with the speed of your card? I'll give you "sports photography" but what you really mean, generically, is any high frames-per-second shooting situation, sports or otherwise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3547 posts
1161 upvotes
robg wrote:
May 18th, 2009 4:17 pm
I'm sure you mis-spoke there. What in the world does low-light conditions have to do with the speed of your card? I'll give you "sports photography" but what you really mean, generically, is any high frames-per-second shooting situation, sports or otherwise.
Whoops

Sometimes I'll shoot say a performance where lighting might not be the best and thus, I'll shoot on a continuous burst mode in hopes that it isn't a blurry shot. This in turn can fill the buffer and it's the hope that one of these shots are both clear and obviously, good.

But this is just a particular event where a low light situation requires a fast write speed due to the continuous shooting. But you're right in that most low-light situations have nothing to do with write speeds.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2005
1346 posts
185 upvotes
London, ON
The lowest price on this I have seen is $19.99 a few weeks ago from MemoryHouse.