Expired Hot Deals

CC Monster HDMI Cable $24.95

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2009 11:10 pm

Poll: Which HDMI cable did you buy? (no bsing)

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Oct 28, 2005
285 posts
9 upvotes

CC Monster HDMI Cable $24.95

Monster (HDMI300-1M EU) 300 Series HDMI to HDMI Cable 1m. Length - 3.28ft
Reg. $99.95
Instant Saving $75.00
so $24.95 + tax

*Instant Savings offer valid from 2009-01-19 to 2009-01-31. Limit 2 per customer, while supplies last.
115 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14591 posts
5204 upvotes
London
get 2x the length for 1/5 the price at monoprice.com
Dec 14, 2007
400 posts
2 upvotes
Kitchener
Still not worth it... $25 for 3ft. Belkin HDMI cables are $10 for 6ft. And it's not like Belkin is some no-name brand company. If you are some die-hard monster fan, then this is good for you. But for the other 99.9% of the people, it's a cold deal.
Jun 11, 2007
174 posts
1 upvote
Markham
I don't know why everyone is bashing the OP, he is just trying to help you guys out by posting what he thinks is a good deal, no need to call him names and post stupid pictures of icebergs.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6359 posts
1201 upvotes
Canada
dubby wrote: I don't know why everyone is bashing the OP, he is just trying to help you guys out by posting what he thinks is a good deal, no need to call him names and post stupid pictures of icebergs.
Would you say the same if he posted an MDG deal?
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2872 posts
29 upvotes
:arrowu:

:lol:

mdg

needs no further comment :D
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1104 posts
89 upvotes
In support of the OP:

Look at all you mean thrifty people picking on the OP.

OP Posts a deal on an HDMI cables, 75% off retail, and you all say its cold!

Sure price not so attractive when you compare it to a cheap poorly constructed $5 HDMI cable.

But when comparing it to other monster cables (with all their overhyped marketing) this is actually not a bad deal if you're looking to buy a monster HDMI cable! Yes, there are still some people that would prefer to buy well known Brand Name products.

All you "hardcore" AV experts buying high end, expensive Audio/Video equipment, and then you skimp by choosing the $5 chinese made cable? What happened? Ran out of money after buying your expensive AV Equipment? I'll laugh in your faces if you believe you're buying a good quality cables at $5 to connect your Bluray Players, HD Cable boxes. etc.

Everyone gets away with it working because you're dealing with a digital signal, etc. I hope no one is using the same logic here for speaker and anologue cables! I Also hope no one here using the $5 cables are running long lengths 20+ ft. Because you're losing out.

Just to mention the cardinal rule to go by when selecting cables: Your system is only as good as your weakest link!

BTW, I'm not stating monster cable is a high end cable by any means nor am I saying its the best option here. Belkin for $10 would be better if you're trying to save money.

I use much higher quality cables in my systems from a company called Transparent. It's just my personal choice from many years of experience in the AV world. For the differences I hear and see, I don't mind the cost nor am I cheap when it comes to purchasing cables. Lots of people can't see, nor are trained to pick up the differences. Its nice to educate the non believers when they're harsh on people trying to recommend the more expensive cables.

and to qoute an installer friend on this topic:

"I have been integrating AV equipment from a simple projector/ plasma install to complex touch control systems for over 10 years. I cannot tell you how many times I get called by clients who have either installed their own or hired a another company to install AV equipment to correct issues cause by low grade "cheap" cables. Many of you are quick to announce your 42", 47" 50" 60" or larger display but go cheap on the connectivity parts. This is just like purchasing Porsche but consistantly putting low grade fuel with water and wonder why it stalls on the take off."

"And by the way, 1's and 0's can get corrupted or lost just like any other type of signal and just because a picture is present doesn't mean all 2,000,000+ pixels are transmitted correctly."

I mean no ignorance or harm with my post, simply spreading my informed oppinion and trying to support the OP. Look at it this way, you make your choice, while others will choose the more expensive route. Don't get offended, its not your wallet getting lighter. Good Analogy would be, You can enjoy your "cheap" vodka while I enjoy my Grey Goose.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the long rant!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4571 posts
1499 upvotes
Vancity
The $5 Chinese made cables from monoprice are not cheap quality. I have a handful of them, as well as other cables from monoprice. Can anyone confirm Monster is not made in China? We are talking about a 3.28 ft cable, so distance is a non-factor. I do have $2-$5 cables connecting a HD box, BD player to a good receiver. The $25+ Monster cables would not make my audio/visual experience any better. There's nothing wrong with people paying big money for these cables. Someone has to get the economy rolling; it might as well be them. :)
sexyblackbmw wrote: In support of the OP:

Sure price not so attractive when you compare it to a cheap poorly constructed $5 HDMI cable.

But when comparing it to other monster cables (with all their overhyped marketing) this is actually not a bad deal if you're looking to buy a monster HDMI cable! Yes, there are still some people that would prefer to buy well known Brand Name products.

All you "hardcore" AV experts buying high end, expensive Audio/Video equipment, and then you skimp by choosing the $5 chinese made cable? What happened? Ran out of money after buying your expensive AV Equipment? I'll laugh in your faces if you believe you're buying a good quality cables at $5 to connect your Bluray Players, HD Cable boxes. etc.

Everyone gets away with it working because you're dealing with a digital signal, etc. I hope no one is using the same logic here for speaker and anologue cables! I Also hope no one here using the $5 cables are running long lengths 20+ ft. Because you're losing out.
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1104 posts
89 upvotes
recordman wrote: The $5 Chinese made cables from monoprice are not cheap quality. I have a handful of them, as well as other cables from monoprice. Can anyone confirm Monster is not made in China? We are talking about a 3.28 ft cable, so distance is a non-factor. I do have $2-$5 cables connecting a HD box, BD player to a good receiver. The $25+ Monster cables would not make my audio/visual experience any better. There's nothing wrong with people paying big money for these cables. Someone has to get the economy rolling; it might as well be them. :)
Sorry I should of specified I was concentrating on the $5 cables anyone can buy at local bargain stores, like walmart, tscc, etc.

I did some more research on Monoprice cables, and they don't look half bad! Everything good is OUT OF STOCK though! sucks, and they're in the U.S., means I have to wait longer for shipping (and pay for it), and possibily pay duties... What was your experience like with shipping to your home?

I want to order some various cables to do some testing at home, see if they stack up to what I hear. I'll report back! This is the only way to compare cables.

edit: Ahhhh, $4.11 shipping for a $6 cable, and they use UPS.... bummer. I better order a lot to make it well worth it

I've always been fortunate to be able to buy high end cables at cost (Transparent, Kimber, Ultralink, Audioquest) and I've clearly stayed away from Monster cable even though I was able to get most of their top end stuff, for $20-50. I don't think its right to what they're doing to consumers, but hey, they're a business and their marketing schemes are ingenious. Its not only them. Most stores make $25 on a $200 DVD Player. And they make at least $100-150 on a $200 Cable. Why else would people think they push expensive cables so much? Just another business trying for huge profit margins!
Jun 25, 2008
864 posts
768 upvotes
sexyblackbmw wrote:
I use much higher quality cables in my systems from a company called Transparent.
Then you're willingly throwing money away.

There's crap cables, there's good quality cables, and then there's high-end overpriced cables that make no difference in any independent double-blind test ever conducted (I actually ask you to find one!)

Sometimes I feel like selling Ultra High-Purity Transparent Aural Elite Platinum series cables for $500 a pop. I'm pretty sure I could source the same factory in Taiwan that makes other high-end cables and I'll probably make a fortune screwing over audiophiles the world over.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5121 posts
2521 upvotes
A Place to Stand
FYI - These were $19 at Canada Computers last week.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1104 posts
89 upvotes
mikeberthold wrote: Then you're willingly throwing money away.

There's crap cables, there's good quality cables, and then there's high-end overpriced cables that make no difference in any independent double-blind test ever conducted (I actually ask you to find one!)

Sometimes I feel like selling Ultra High-Purity Transparent Aural Elite Platinum series cables for $500 a pop. I'm pretty sure I could source the same factory in Taiwan that makes other high-end cables and I'll probably make a fortune screwing over audiophiles the world over.
This post is an epic fail. I won't even begin with you! :lol:

besides, its not your wallet or money I'm spending, Its my own; and who's saying I spend $500 a pop/cable? I never mentioned anywhere how much I spent on cables. You'd be appauled!

If I remember correctly, Transparent has never manufactered a cable by the name of "Ultra High-Purity Transparent Aural Elite Platinum series cables", Nor currently has anything by the name of this. I don't know what junk you claim to be selling but its not this companies cables. Must be the Taiwanese knock-off! Another fail on your part.

One thing you got right was the amount of money you can make running a successful audiophile cable company, but clearly failed when you proved you don't know the differences between anolog and digital signals, and how you never could actually distinguish differences between Transparent $500 cables and generic $5 cables. You're Clearly not an audiophile.

Please I don't want to hear anymore of this garbage of comparing $5 audio cables to $500 audiophile cables. It just shows whomever starts this argument is clearly misinformed on this topic.

We're talking digital HDMI cables here. And yes I did see this HDMI for $19 last week as well! They didn't sell any so they raised the price $5? I don't understand CC's logic.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4571 posts
1499 upvotes
Vancity
Shipping is a bit expensive for the bulkier cables, but still reasonable. Anyway, if I have to drive to a B&M store, it takes time and gas. I think they ship by US PS, and there's no duties that I was charged for (I never order more than $20 at a time). I had to wait 1-2 weeks for my orders, which is fine with me because I never need any cables immediately. You can have them email you when your item of interest comes back in stock. Some times return to stock in 1-2 weeks. For the price they charge, one can afford to order a spare cable or two to kick around just in case family/friend needs one urgently.
sexyblackbmw wrote: I did some more research on Monoprice cables, and they don't look half bad! Everything good is OUT OF STOCK though! sucks, and they're in the U.S., means I have to wait longer for shipping (and pay for it), and possibily pay duties... What was your experience like with shipping to your home?

I want to order some various cables to do some testing at home, see if they stack up to what I hear. I'll report back! This is the only way to compare cables.

edit: Ahhhh, $4.11 shipping for a $6 cable, and they use UPS.... bummer. I better order a lot to make it well worth it
signature closed for renovation
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1663 posts
5 upvotes
For home systems, the quality of cable matters very little. Monoprice cables are more than adequate for home systems.

A fun little read:
http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-h ... ter-cables

For those that are too lazy, I snipped out a shorter version:
[QUOTE]...ran an experiment on [me] and four other audio aficionados *snip* each time heard with the speaker hooked up to Monster Cables, and the other time, hooked up to coat hanger wire. Nobody could determine which was the Monster Cable and which was the coat hanger. The kicker? None of the subjects even knew that coat hangers were going to be used. *snip* This is for a short run of cable. If you're going over 50 ft, then you may benefit from better shielding, but for most home people's home theaters, this is not the case. Remember folks, just because something performs better spec-wise doesn't mean it actually sounds better. *snip* Of course, a coat hanger doesn't have a Monster Cable lifetime warranty, so if your coat hanger breaks, you'll have to go out and buy another coat hanger[/QUOTE]

For those that are wondering, the author and his friends are (or at least claim to be) people that's been in the AV industry for 20+ years
Jun 25, 2008
864 posts
768 upvotes
sexyblackbmw wrote: This post is an epic fail. I won't even begin with you! :lol:

besides, its not your wallet or money I'm spending, Its my own; and who's saying I spend $500 a pop/cable? I never mentioned anywhere how much I spent on cables. You'd be appauled!
I never said you spent $500 on each cable. I just made up a number.
If I remember correctly, Transparent has never manufactered a cable by the name of "Ultra High-Purity Transparent Aural Elite Platinum series cables", Nor currently has anything by the name of this. I don't know what junk you claim to be selling but its not this companies cables. Must be the Taiwanese knock-off! Another fail on your part.
I made up the name as well. Apparently it's semi-realistic enough for my grand scheme to work.
One thing you got right was the amount of money you can make running a successful audiophile cable company, but clearly failed when you proved you don't know the differences between anolog and digital signals, and how you never could actually distinguish differences between Transparent $500 cables and generic $5 cables. You're Clearly not an audiophile.
http://www.audioholics.com/education/ca ... -snake-oil

http://www.audioholics.com/education/ca ... -resonance

http://www.dansdata.com/danletters106b.htm Section "Audiophilia, continued, again"
http://www.dansdata.com/danletters117.htm Section "It continues"
http://www.dansdata.com/danletters118.htm Sections "Audio insanity 1,2,3"

http://www.ilikejam.org/blog/audio/audiophile.html

http://www.vxm.com/21R.64.html

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/06/s ... alert.html -> a $500 ethernet cable. For audio enthusiasts.

http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html A posting from 1996 with a good discussion
Please I don't want to hear anymore of this garbage of comparing $5 audio cables to $500 audiophile cables. It just shows whomever starts this argument is clearly misinformed on this topic.
Hey, now you're talking about $500 cables!

Like I said, there are certainly crap cables that exist at the lower end of the price range. My only point is that quality cables that perform the same as ones 10-100 times more expensive are readily available. In any case, I don't feel like having this argument; I just find someone on the other side of it using RFD ironic.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1104 posts
89 upvotes
PlayerOne wrote: For home systems, the quality of cable matters very little. Monoprice cables are more than adequate for home systems.

A fun little read:
http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-h ... ter-cables

For those that are too lazy, I snipped out a shorter version:

For those that are wondering, the author and his friends are (or at least claim to be) people that's been in the AV industry for 20+ years
My home systems and your home systems are a lot different I guess.

I WOULD NEVER hook up my $12,000 Loudspeakers, and my $20,000 worth of pre/power amps with $200 Monster Cables, let alone a bloody coat hanger like this moron! What a stupid comparison. I call it BS. And I'm sorry $5 Monoprice.com cables won't cut it for my 2 channel system, I've already done similar tests with chinese made cables and the results are horrifying. Maybe they'll be alright for the home theatre setups in my home. I'm going to buy and try them to give a fair comparison before I say anything bad about them.

Remember your systems are only as good as their weakest link.

I've noticed people have a lot of learning to do about sound and audio cables here. Maybe I can help.

Offtopic since we're talking about Digital Video cables here, but good read nontheless.

Start with this great article from Stereophile on Tara labs cables. Even the reviewer was skeptical at first and told the company rep not to bother bringing his cables by. After he gave some new cables a chance, he was shocked by the differences he heard.

here is the link http://stereophile.com/cables/1206tara/index.html

and for people who don't want to read it all, a quick summary
I listened to it through Harmonic Technology's top-of-the-line Magic Link One interconnect, and the sound of that disc was as astonishing as it's always been. Then Bryan replaced the Magic Link One with whatever TARA Labs interconnect he'd brought, which included a mysterious black box that he placed behind the Steelhead. I gritted my teeth and opened my skeptical ears.

What I then heard from that familiar recording I will never forget. That one stupid interconnect had completely transformed not only the sound of that recording, but my expectations of how close the playback of recorded music could come to live music. I understand that all of the cable in the chain, from the recording gear in Kingsway Hall to Bernie Grundman's mastering room, was not this new interconnect. I understand any skepticism about how one piece of wire could so dramatically alter the sound of an audio system. But it did.

Conclusion
Don't hate the messenger. A length of TARA Labs The Zero arrived in my listening room unannounced and unheralded, and I had no idea what it cost. But when it was inserted in my system, I knew immediately what it was doing to the sound. And when the entire system was wired with Zeros, it sounded even better.

Is the Zero's astonishing performance the result of its low-pressure dielectric? The lack of insulation or dielectric material around the conductor? The in-phase propagation of frequencies only a bat can detect? The parallel construction, which yields ultrawide bandwidth and ultralow capacitance? The floating-shield/star-ground arrangement, which avoids terminating RFI/EMI contamination into the RCA plug's ground and thus directly into the associated equipment? All of that? Some of that? Other reasons yet unknown?

I don't know. All I know is that everyone familiar with my system who's come down here for a listen during the many months the Zeros have been here has easily been able to hear their purifying effect on the music. My wife, though a good listener, hardly qualifies as an audiophile, and she nailed it in a minute.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2008
1104 posts
89 upvotes
mikeberthold wrote: I never said you spent $500 on each cable. I just made up a number.

I made up the name as well. Apparently it's semi-realistic enough for my grand scheme to work.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/ca ... -snake-oil

http://www.audioholics.com/education/ca ... -resonance

http://www.dansdata.com/danletters106b.htm Section "Audiophilia, continued, again"
http://www.dansdata.com/danletters117.htm Section "It continues"
http://www.dansdata.com/danletters118.htm Sections "Audio insanity 1,2,3"

http://www.ilikejam.org/blog/audio/audiophile.html

http://www.vxm.com/21R.64.html

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/06/s ... alert.html -> a $500 ethernet cable. For audio enthusiasts.

http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html A posting from 1996 with a good discussion

Hey, now you're talking about $500 cables!

Like I said, there are certainly crap cables that exist at the lower end of the price range. My only point is that quality cables that perform the same as ones 10-100 times more expensive are readily available. In any case, I don't feel like having this argument; I just find someone on the other side of it using RFD ironic.
Interesting articles! Thanks. I believe a lot of the writers were and probably still are skeptics to the audiophile world, especially towards expensive cables. You can't give a fair comparison to people who don't have an open mind to hear any differences. A lot of them don't have the trained ears either to distinguish the subtle differences. This goes for a lot of people especially basing their research soley on internet forums and what others are telling them rather than buying the products and doing the comparisons for yourself.

Hearing and sound is subjective, and everyone will always have their different perspective on this topic.

I personally speak from thousands and thousands of hours of listening time to various home audiophile setups that I've owned over the past 20+ years, and the equipment I've sold and tested at the AV stores I worked part time through University many years ago.

And hey, everyone loves a great deal! Thats why I enjoy RFD. Great group of people as well! When it comes to my passion of Audio/Video, prices are no object for better performance and realism of experience.