Real Estate

Locked: Ceiling cracks in basement. Am I dead?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2022 10:28 pm
[OP]
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
55 posts
80 upvotes

Ceiling cracks in basement. Am I dead?

I've noticed some cracks forming in our basement ceiling

Could there be a non devastating reason for this? They are minor but noticeable. I've tried to feel if the ceiling is wet and can't notice much.

I noticed the area of the cracks have a different paint slightly so I think the prior owners may have done some work here and it's just a result of that?

What if it's something serious? Could basement collapse?
Images
  • 20220505_172501.jpg
  • 20220505_172415.jpg
  • 20220505_172433.jpg
  • 20220505_172440.jpg
  • 20220505_172410.jpg
Last edited by Madal123 on May 5th, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Share:
28 replies
Sr. Member
Dec 10, 2017
890 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
Madal123 wrote: I've noticed some cracks forming in our basement ceiling

Could there be a non devastating reason for this? They are minor but noticeable. I've tried to feel if the ceiling is wet and can't notice much.

I noticed the area of the cracks have a different paint slightly so I think the prior owners may have done some work here and it's just a result of that?

What if it's something serious? Could basement collapse?
Hey OP are you still alive?
Stay Frosty'
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
7275 posts
2226 upvotes
pics?
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Sr. Member
Jan 2, 2021
651 posts
1143 upvotes
You sure it's not just water damage from a leak? They do look like "cracks" sometimes.
Newbie
User avatar
Apr 24, 2022
29 posts
20 upvotes
Or could be just drywall shifting a bit. Post pictures of the cracks.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2245 posts
1211 upvotes
Calgary
Do we need a ouja board?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 14, 2003
10776 posts
769 upvotes
Mississauga
There's a bunch of reasons why cracks appear in ceilings. Could be something as simple as expansion and contraction on drywall joints at key points (which I have myself), or it could be a result of a leak, or it could be something far more severe like foundation problems. Without some pics, we really can't advise more.
4chan melts your brain.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2878 posts
5426 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
OP, why even tell us where the crack is?

Without pics, context, or explanation I'd appreciate it if you could've kept it more vague for better diagnosis answers as RFD is known to provide.
Realtor®
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1178 posts
2295 upvotes
GTA
krn905 wrote: Hey OP are you still alive?
OP Please confirm that youre not dead
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14728 posts
10863 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
RIP Op

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2033 posts
2389 upvotes
Isn't op the pastries and headlock guy?

Never change, RFD. Never.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1494 posts
995 upvotes
Manitoba
Cracks appeared....time to replace house.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
55 posts
80 upvotes
I have added photos below and one to the OP

The prior sellers run a store here in town so I called them and gave them an earful about their shoddy workmanship and trying to sell a lemon

I let them know this won't be the last they hear from me if something bad happens

The main cracks are faint but run horizontal and vertical
Images
  • 20220505_172501.jpg
  • 20220505_172440.jpg
  • 20220505_172433.jpg
  • 20220505_172415.jpg
  • 20220505_172410.jpg
Member
Oct 14, 2010
457 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Madal123 wrote:
The prior sellers run a store here in town so I called them and gave them an earful about their shoddy workmanship and trying to sell a lemon

I let them know this won't be the last they hear from me if something bad happens
Careful, you might find your headlocked again, and you might have to quietly disengage like with your tenant Face With Tears Of Joy
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2011
670 posts
205 upvotes
danfromwaterloo wrote: There's a bunch of reasons why cracks appear in ceilings. Could be something as simple as expansion and contraction on drywall joints at key points (which I have myself), or it could be a result of a leak, or it could be something far more severe like foundation problems. Without some pics, we really can't advise more.
+1

pretty sure it's just cracks in drywall joints. the uniformity of them suggest it's along the areas where 2 drywall sheets meet, taped, and mudded. one of them appears to be a large patch since it's so rectangular. it's possible someone had to access the space above and repair the hole they made.
Member
Jun 22, 2011
479 posts
399 upvotes
Madal123 wrote: I have added photos below and one to the OP

The prior sellers run a store here in town so I called them and gave them an earful about their shoddy workmanship and trying to sell a lemon

I let them know this won't be the last they hear from me if something bad happens

The main cracks are faint but run horizontal and vertical
Maybe instead of being an absolute knob, get someone who knows this shit to look at it first.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2245 posts
1211 upvotes
Calgary
moral of the story: never sell to or rent from OP.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
9319 posts
3693 upvotes
Maple
masarwar wrote: moral of the story: never sell to or rent from OP.
Haha. Unless you can do headlock on him. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Can’t resist!
I hate to speculate. I hate to forecast. I am just proactive.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
55 posts
80 upvotes
Maybe you guys let ppl tale advantage of you but not me. I will fight and destroy those who try to take advantage of hard workers

Do you also thank the dealership when the car you bought dies on the drive back home? Or get a gift card for the man having an affair with your wives? Not me

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)