Home & Garden

Ceiling finish and painting (painter recommendation)

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2021 9:49 am
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
147 posts
52 upvotes

Ceiling finish and painting (painter recommendation)

Hi Everyone,

We scraped our painted popcorn ceiling. Once we removed it, there are many imperfections. I was going to do the job on my own but after scraping the popcorn ceiling and the dust and mess it created. I would rather want a professional take care of it. Even though I had mask on it was a struggle breathing.

We got one quote from a reputable painting company which includes the following:
- patching up all the holes/imperfections(dropping the pot lights casing)
- cleaning up any residue of popcorn left behind
- 2 rounds of skimp coat, sanding,
- 1 layer priming
- 2 round painting.
- painting the crown molding

The total square footage is around 340 sq.ft. and quoted me 2000 dollars with taxes and 3 year warranty. If you guys have any recommendation(s), please let me know.

The house is located in Mississaga.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3060 posts
1668 upvotes
Mississauga
http://mvppainting.ca/

Residential and commercial. They have/had contracts with local Rexall, Sheridan College, builders.

Used them for 3 of my properties.
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
FaisalS831999 wrote: Hi Everyone,

We scraped our painted popcorn ceiling. Once we removed it, there are many imperfections. I was going to do the job on my own but after scraping the popcorn ceiling and the dust and mess it created. I would rather want a professional take care of it. Even though I had mask on it was a struggle breathing.

We got one quote from a reputable painting company which includes the following:
- patching up all the holes/imperfections(dropping the pot lights casing)
- cleaning up any residue of popcorn left behind
- 2 rounds of skimp coat, sanding,
- 1 layer priming
- 2 round painting.
- painting the crown molding

The total square footage is around 340 sq.ft. and quoted me 2000 dollars with taxes and 3 year warranty. If you guys have any recommendation(s), please let me know.

The house is located in Mississaga.
How was the experience?

I said from the beginning that something would cost over $1300. To scrape and fix the ceilings.

Too many times a homeowner tackles a job and finds out that it’s too much work. Then a contractor (trade) will come in and basically charge the same price. As if nothing was done....it ends up being more work to fix the DIY mess.

I’m not trying to knock the OP for trying.

I will say this again. If it is a small repair that isn’t visible then give it a try.
For bigger jobs....call a qualified trade!!!
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
147 posts
52 upvotes
raptormaniac wrote: How was the experience?

I said from the beginning that something would cost over $1300. To scrape and fix the ceilings.

Too many times a homeowner tackles a job and finds out that it’s too much work. Then a contractor (trade) will come in and basically charge the same price. As if nothing was done....it ends up being more work to fix the DIY mess.

I’m not trying to knock the OP for trying.

I will say this again. If it is a small repair that isn’t visible then give it a try.
For bigger jobs....call a qualified trade!!!
None taken!

It was a messy job as in dusty and toxic.

Actually, the lady who gave us a quote stated that had we not scraped the popcorn ceiling, it would be additional 1500 dollars. So we did save there. We discussed about the idea of adding skim quoting ontop of the popcorn ceiling. She would've still recommended to scrape the popcorn ceiling due to low height and we already had crown molding.

We are still saving some.