Home & Garden

in-ceiling speakers for bathroom - 6.5" or 8"?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 3:27 pm
Sep 26, 2015
816 posts
434 upvotes

in-ceiling speakers for bathroom - 6.5" or 8"?

Looking to install ceiling speakers in my master bathroom (already prewired). Are 8" speakers an overkill for a small room?

My setup will probably as per below, unless there are other options I should be thinking about:
- Polk Audio RC60i or 80i
- Chromecast audio
- Amp

Appreciate any input.
2 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
How do you define small? It depends how large the room is, but yes I would say it is. How loud to you want the music to be in your master bathroom? I have a huge master bathroom and have 2 x 6.5" ceiling speakers outside the fully enclosed steam-shower, which are more than adequate for normal listening level (ie not blaring loud), and then a single stereo 6.5" speaker inside the shower. Also, will you have a wall volume control in the room? That would be necessary to tune the volume to the level you desire unless you are willing to suffer whatever volume comes out of them based on what level the other speakers in the house are set to.

I use Sonos. A little bit more about my setup for what it is worth: I have each Sonos amp feeding 2 rooms, so 2 pairs of speakers per amp, with a volume control between the amp and each set of speakers, so that way I can control each set independently even though they are coming off the same amp. That saves me buying more amps. The volume control also lets me turn off the volume in a room instantly if i get a call without opening the Sonos app on my iPhone or computer.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1164 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
I also have the Klipsch 6.5" outside of the shower (glass shower panels to ceiling) with a keypad on the wall to control volume/music selection etc and find fairly loud outside the shower at volume 6 (40 watts per side 80 total) for the bathroom only. Inside the shower while showering, it's acceptable at volume 6, if I turn it up louder, I find people through out the house can also hear it "too loud". To get a better sound you would need speakers inside the shower also.

EDIT: I'm using NuVo Grand Concerto

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)