Cell Phones

Celebrating 20 years with Fido, what can I get?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2021 12:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto

Celebrating 20 years with Fido, what can I get?

So in July, I celebrated 20 years with Fido, having gotten my first number and cellphone with them all the way back in July 2001!

2 decades worth of loyalty. In fact it is the only company I have ever been with. And generally, speaking, while they are not at the cutting edge of data speed, latest phone models etc, I am pretty comfortable with them.

With that being said, and me being someone who doesn’t feel comfortable asking for free stuff, do you thing it is a good idea to call and ask for free phone? I see some iPhone models I like on their websites, but most require long commitment and monthly payment, neither of which I am interested in (yes ironic that I am no interested in long term commitment!) - well it is more the fact that I don’t want to pay monthly for the device.

And I actually do want a newer/better phone, as I have been using an iPhone 6 for over 3 years now.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
28 replies
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
So if I understand correctly, you want Fido to give you a new Apple iPhone for free but you not paying more then a Month To Month Plan?
Woodbridge905 wrote:
With that being said, and me being someone who doesn’t feel comfortable asking for free stuff, do you thing it is a good idea to call and ask for free phone? I see some iPhone models I like on their websites, but most require long commitment and monthly payment, neither of which I am interested in (yes ironic that I am no interested in long term commitment!) - well it is more the fact that I don’t want to pay monthly for the device.

And I actually do want a newer/better phone, as I have been using an iPhone 6 for over 3 years now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
DeJesus wrote: So if I understand correctly, you want Fido to give you a new Apple iPhone for free but you not paying more then a Month To Month Plan?

Actually , i am fine with a ‘lightly used’ to stay on month to month. If they give me new (for free) than I am ready to commit for 2 years.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
So Amigo if you getting a “free” new Apple iPhone from Fido and you walk away after 7 months, what should be your penalty for breaking your commitment?
Woodbridge905 wrote: Actually , i am fine with a ‘lightly used’ to stay on month to month. If they give me new (for free) than I am ready to commit for 2 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
DeJesus wrote: So Amigo if you getting a “free” new Apple iPhone from Fido and you walk away after 7 months, what should be your penalty for breaking your commitment?
Yes I understand your point , but that is why o mentioned I am fine getting even used ones for free. But then again, Fido had made close to $35,000 from me over the last 20 years, so I have more than paid for one free phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
Fido owes you nothing, you mean nothing to them. you have spent 20 years paying for a service. Period.
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote: … I am fine getting even used ones for free. But then again, Fido had made close to $35,000 from me over the last 20 years, so I have more than paid for one free phone.
Did Your get 1 year free electricity after paying Hydro for 20 years as well?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: Fido owes you nothing, you mean nothing to them. you have spent 20 years paying for a service. Period.
You may or may not be right. Businesses subsidize prices of phones by locking you in long term. That is nothing new. Now add some serious loyalty, and they may be able to do a bit more, so not sure why it seems so far fetched for.

Anyway, I will call and talk to them and see what happens. If not, I may consider Rogers for the first time, especially since I have various other services with them (hence a discount)
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
Congratulations by the way!

Did you login over www.fido.ca to see what was your different loyalty offers available exclusively to toi right now?
Woodbridge905 wrote: So in July, I celebrated 20 years with Fido, having gotten my first number and cellphone with them all the way back in July 2001!

2 decades worth of loyalty. In fact it is the only company I have ever been with. And generally, speaking, while they are not at the cutting edge of data speed, latest phone models etc, I am pretty comfortable with them.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
DeJesus wrote: Congratulations by the way!

Did you login over www.fido.ca to see what was your different loyalty offers available exclusively to toi right now?
I did. They are offering me an extra 30 GB data (from my current 20gb) for an extra $10. But not interested because I rarely ever go above 10GB.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
376 upvotes
Toronto
DeJesus wrote: Did Your get 1 year free electricity after paying Hydro for 20 years as well?
Sorry man, but that analogy is not relevant here in so many ways. First of all, hydro is a monopoly, so I have no choice. Not to mention, it is a Necessity, so my power company has no obligation to pay or give me an incentive for being a monthly user.

On the other hand, with cell phone companies, it is all about luring you with better offers/plans/devices to lock you in.

Think about it. I have been on a monthly (non-contract) term for over 4 years. So with nothin tying me to them, I could early pick up and leave tom or the moment I get a better offer. Sure I haven’t done that in 20 years, but now that I am considering it and if my loyalty means nothin to them, then it is a two street!
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
I see, and how about a new phone? What the Loyalty offer for the a new Apple Upgrade?

Woodbridge905 wrote: I did. They are offering me an extra 30 GB data (from my current 20gb) for an extra $10. But not interested because I rarely ever go above 10GB.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1470 posts
2042 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Woodbridge905 wrote: ...

Anyway, I will call and talk to them and see what happens. If not, I may consider Rogers for the first time, especially since I have various other services with them (hence a discount)
That's the way to go! You never know until you've tried.
I am the complete opposite, I believe I have changed carriers at least every second year. I"ve got a great deal with Telus, yet I lurk around here daily looking for the next big thing. They probably despise people like me, so that ought to translate to rewarding loyalty. Yet based on the amount of cynicism your post has generated, no one here believes that to be likely to happen
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1861 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Woodbridge905 wrote: So in July, I celebrated 20 years with Fido, having gotten my first number and cellphone with them all the way back in July 2001!

Fido likes youGrinning Face
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13208 posts
4554 upvotes
LOL, this thread is hilarious

"Celebrating"

WOW
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14275 posts
3510 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Woodbridge905 wrote: Anyway, I will call and talk to them and see what happens. If not, I may consider Rogers for the first time, especially since I have various other services with them (hence a discount)
Fido has been owned by Rogers since 2004, so you might as well.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23463 posts
5508 upvotes
Toronto
Most likely Fido will give you a virtual clap on the back!!!

**you know, in these times of Covid - no touchy touchy!!!**

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Feb 29, 2020
243 posts
69 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote: ...
On the other hand, with cell phone companies, it is all about luring you with better offers/plans/devices to lock you in.

Think about it. I have been on a monthly (non-contract) term for over 4 years. So with nothin tying me to them, I could early pick up and leave tom or the moment I get a better offer. Sure I haven’t done that in 20 years, but now that I am considering it and if my loyalty means nothin to them, then it is a two street!
From my understanding, as a long time Fido Subscriber, you have access to exclusive Loyalty Price Plans AND Additional Discount towards a Financing Program for new phone. You might also has access to Additional Bonus Data as well. So far I never read a story from any member here stating then their cellphone provider gave a free phone as a Gift without any commitment...

Maybe the best thing to do is to contact Fido and ask them if they can give you a free phone without commitment.
Apr 25, 2019
894 posts
1538 upvotes
YXE, Sask.
I'm also "Celebrating" 2 years with Lucky Mobile.....

(I deserve a free $25 credit!)

/s ........by switching to Public Mobile soon.
Koodo BF 2022 $30 20 GB ($25 for first 5 months!)
Samsung Galaxy A53 owner.