Carol Leifer - Writer/Comedian

Black = "You're FIRED!"
70 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
3754 posts
145 upvotes
What did you guys think about the first episode for people who watch the show?

I think this season the men's team is way more stacked with star power than the women. I dont even know half of the people on the womens team, but I know almost all of the celebrities on the mens team.

I loved the twist with joan rivers, I hope they continue to have twists on every task.

Nobody deserved to get fired on the womens team, but i do think cyndi lauper should have been fired because she was the project manager on the losing task. She didnt do a good job of managing her team, and managing the line outside the diner so that all the big donors can get in.

Pros of celebrity apprentice: You get to see these celebrities' personalities come out. And its entertaining when they clash heads and argue.

Cons: I hate the challenges where its just about who you know and call to give a big donation. Thats not skill, thats just who ever is the most famous has the richest friends, wins.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1752 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
That governor's going to get fired next (if the guys lose).

I don't see how Holly Robinson Pete didn't get fired, she really didn't get her hands dirty (only cashier and bitching at her coworkers).
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2672 posts
736 upvotes
TheDarkRage wrote: That governor's going to get fired next (if the guys lose).

I don't see how Holly Robinson Pete didn't get fired, she really didn't get her hands dirty (only cashier and bitching at her coworkers).
I don't even get how she's even on the show. She's not even a D list celeb. What has she done since 21 Jump St??
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9449 posts
494 upvotes
TheDarkRage wrote: That governor's going to get fired next (if the guys lose).

well she saved herself when she repeatedly pointed out that she was the one who noticed that Carol should stop attracting customers and help out inside. Also, she was the one asking if there were any high rollers outside and for them to bypass the line
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6810 posts
3303 upvotes
Not watching Trump's tripe ever again.

Last season started off well by imitating the UK series. i.e., the opening narrator, more inter-team negotiations/competition, etc. But instead of letting it be a business competition comme Sir Alan - the show ended up being another personality contest.

The finale was particularly bad. Piers Morgan outright lied about his record on the 1st celeb season; even though he lost 2 of 3 judged categories to Trace in his finale, he still earned so much money that he called out Trump for being a hypocrite if he wasn't chosen the winner for raising the most for his charity. Yet, as Trump's advisor last season, he had the gall to call out Annie for having a losing record, despite out-raising everyone else on the show - just as he did a season earlier.

And to top it all off, Trump awards Joan Rivers the grand prize, with his reasoning being that Joan was "old, but feisty". You mean it wasn't the fact that Trump's sister is on the board of directors for Joan's charity?
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa
The terms "celebrity" and "all star" are used a little too liberally on this show.
Please keep sigs clean
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2005
1907 posts
6 upvotes
The biggest mistake by the girls was firing Carol Leifer she knows a lot of people in the NY area and could use her so called "star power" to bring some people into their task.

I would have thought that Holly Robinson Peete should have got the can. She seems like the new Omarosa to me, I think Cindy Lauper should have been canned. Didn't bring too much to the table for the task. She should have said ok people how much time we have and then went out and got their big tippers.

I think the men had a better approach to the task at hand. They had a world class chef and some decent people who could draw a crowd and get people in it. I would have liked to see Rod Blagojevich get canned such a douche-bag.

Maria Kanellis though is fine as hell. Never was a wrestling fan but she is got that cute vibe to her like the girl next door.
!
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9449 posts
494 upvotes
The smartest thing the men did was set their price point that high. That means only people with a lot of money would be eating...
Dec 23, 2004
544 posts
2 upvotes
Skip2MyLou wrote: What did you guys think about the first episode for people who watch the show?

I think this season the men's team is way more stacked with star power than the women. I dont even know half of the people on the womens team, but I know almost all of the celebrities on the mens team.

I loved the twist with joan rivers, I hope they continue to have twists on every task.

Nobody deserved to get fired on the womens team, but i do think cyndi lauper should have been fired because she was the project manager on the losing task. She didnt do a good job of managing her team, and managing the line outside the diner so that all the big donors can get in.

Pros of celebrity apprentice: You get to see these celebrities' personalities come out. And its entertaining when they clash heads and argue.

Cons: I hate the challenges where its just about who you know and call to give a big donation. Thats not skill, thats just who ever is the most famous has the richest friends, wins.

That's the reality of the real business world .... in many business scenario's it's who you know and not what you know.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6810 posts
3303 upvotes
sucka wrote:
That's the reality of the real business world .... in many business scenario's it's who you know and not what you know.
In the first British celeb edition, Cheryl Cole called up Simon Cowell for a donation, even though the two of them didn't personally know one another. They weren't even on the same record label (Cheryl's with UMG/Polydor... Simon's with Sony/Syco) Yet, she was able to sweet-talk her way to Simon's wallet... and ultimately a job on the X Factor.

Likewise, Piers Morgan cold-called the CEO of Cantor Fitzgerald to show up for his charity auction in the season 1 finale.

In both cases, the contestants got 6-figure donations from ppl who weren't within their personal network.... so it's a lot more work than just opening your rolodex and calling it a day.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18433 posts
6463 upvotes
Toronto
The women's team is made up of a bunch of no-names.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2422 posts
788 upvotes
This show is a guilty pleasure. At least this season.

Imagine going back to 1986 and someone telling you:

Trump (at the time his public image was of a real jerk/playboy/won't shakehands/Mr. 80's)

...having a show with Brett Michaels (Mr. Too Cool hairband, women in love with him all over)...and Ozzy's wife (Ozzy was viewed as a dangerous man once)....with Cyndi Lauper (a very big star at the time)...with Joan Rivers showing up (once viewed as the future of late night after Carson would retire)....

Weird.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3253 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
Madchester wrote: Not watching Trump's tripe ever again.

Last season started off well by imitating the UK series. i.e., the opening narrator, more inter-team negotiations/competition, etc. But instead of letting it be a business competition comme Sir Alan - the show ended up being another personality contest.

The finale was particularly bad. Piers Morgan outright lied about his record on the 1st celeb season; even though he lost 2 of 3 judged categories to Trace in his finale, he still earned so much money that he called out Trump for being a hypocrite if he wasn't chosen the winner for raising the most for his charity. Yet, as Trump's advisor last season, he had the gall to call out Annie for having a losing record, despite out-raising everyone else on the show - just as he did a season earlier.

And to top it all off, Trump awards Joan Rivers the grand prize, with his reasoning being that Joan was "old, but feisty". You mean it wasn't the fact that Trump's sister is on the board of directors for Joan's charity?
Oh, I hate that Piers Morgan guy and his attitude. Take refuge in the fact that Jeremy Clarkson punched Piers 3 times in the face though at the British Press Awards for saying crap (accusing JC of cheating on his wife, etc.).
Oct 31, 2007
3458 posts
518 upvotes
Like others have said the guys seem to be far more well known than most of the woman's team. Cyndi definately should have gone but they want her to stick around since shes 1 of 2 women on the show that people might actually know. These shows are so rigged though, Donnie just fires who the producers tell him to fire to keep the show going. I still watch it though for some reason.

Fingers crossed for the Dice man to come back from last season under cover Joan rivers style, Hey Donnie Chump O!