• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2010 11:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6151 posts
2361 upvotes

Cell Phone Back-to-School Showdown!

Hey guys, I put together this post for two reasons; It'll allow everyone to see all the B2S plans in one location, and it will also allow us to bounce ideas and whatnot off of each other to get the best deal. I'll only be mentioning plans that have data, since it seems most people are looking for the new Android/iPhone phones, and data seems to be a must! Without delay, here we go!

Telus (I think they have the best deals for B2S right now, especially the $55 plan)

$40/month
Up to 100 local anytime minutes + an additional 100 minutes (available w/ 3yr term)
100mb of Data
Unlimited Nationwide Family Calling
Unlimited local night and weekend minutes starting at 6pm
Unlimited outgoing and incoming text, picture and video messages
Ulimited Nationwide talk and text messaging with your 10 favourite numbers
Voicemail 3, call waiting and conference calling
Eligible Phones: All mobile phones on a 3-year term. INQ Chat on a 2-year term, select smartphones on a 3-year term (Nokia E72, Nokia E71, HTC Snap, LG New Chocolate, Samsung Advance, HTC Hero)

$55/Month
200 anytime minutes
1GB of data
Unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 6pm
Eligible Phones: No restrictions, all smartphones on a 3-year contract, INQ phones on a 2-year contract.

Bell

$50/month
200 local anytime minutes
500mb of Data
Unlimited local nights and weekends starting at 6pm
Unlimited text messages
--OR--
Call Waiting
Conference Calling

Rogers

$50/month
500mb of Data
Unlimited evenings and weekends from 9pm
UNLIMITED MY5 Canada-wide Talk/Extreme Text/Picture&Video Messaging
--OR--
UNLIMITED Local Calling to/from Rogers Wireless, Rogers Home Phone or Fido® customers
--OR--
Double Your Minutes (Equals 400)
--OR--
5 pm Early Evening Calling
Call Waiting
Group Calling
Call Forwarding

Virgin Mobile

$50/month
200 anytime minutes
Unlimited Nationwide talk and text to 10 numbers
500MB of data
Unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 7pm

$65/month
250 anytime minutes
1GB of data

Fido
No Student Plans (Will update if plans become available)

Koodo

Wind Mobile

Mobilicity

Public Mobile

Solo Mobile

Like I said, the Telus plan looks to be the best, and of course these are student plans, but I don't imagine that will stop the industrious RFD community. I'll be giving Bell a call soon to see if I can snag that $55 Telus plan with the Samsung Galaxy S on a 3-year contract.
16 replies
Temp. Banned
Feb 16, 2005
13610 posts
140 upvotes
Winnipeg
hmmm my daughter is on the telus $40 plan with my 5.... and she has a bb or some sort.. but she only has social networking... having the my 10 and the gig of data would be good for her....
driving to NS to move, be back in a weekish
Jan 26, 2009
420 posts
204 upvotes
game_fanatic wrote: Hey guys, I put together this post for two reasons; It'll allow everyone to see all the B2S plans in one location, and it will also allow us to bounce ideas and whatnot off of each other to get the best deal. I'll only be mentioning plans that have data, since it seems most people are looking for the new Android/iPhone phones, and data seems to be a must! Without delay, here we go!

Telus (I think they have the best deals for B2S right now, especially the $55 plan)

$40/month
Up to 100 local anytime minutes + an additional 100 minutes (available w/ 3yr term)
100mb of Data
Unlimited local night and weekend minutes starting at 6pm
Eligible Phones: All movile phones on a 3-year term. INQ Chat on a 2-year term, select smartphones on a 3-year term (Nokia E72, Nokia E71, HTC Snap, LG New Chocolate, Samsung Advance, HTC Hero)

$55/Month
200 anytime minutes
1GB of data
Eligible Phones: No restrictions, all smartphones on a 3-year contract, INQ phones on a 2-year contract.

Bell

$50/month
500mb of Data
Unlimited local nights and weekends starting at 6pm
Unlimited text messages
--OR--
Call Waiting
Conference Calling

Rogers

$50/month
500mb of Data
Unlimited evenings and weekends from 9pm
UNLIMITED MY5 Canada-wide Talk/Extreme Text/Picture&Video Messaging
--OR--
UNLIMITED Local Calling to/from Rogers Wireless, Rogers Home Phone or Fido® customers
--OR--
Double Your Minutes (Equals 400)
--OR--
5 pm Early Evening Calling
Call Waiting
Group Calling
Call Forwarding

Virgin Mobile

$50/month
200 anytime minutes
500MB of data

$65/month
250 anytime minutes
1GB of data

Fido

Koodo

Wind Mobile

Mobilicity

Public Mobile

Solo Mobile

Like I said, the Telus plan looks to be the best, and of course these are student plans, but I don't imagine that will stop the industrious RFD community. I'll be giving Bell a call soon to see if I can snag that $55 Telus plan with the Samsung Galaxy S on a 3-year contract.
WIND doesn't need student plans, there 35 or 45 dollar plans are ALREADY better then what the Big 3 offer .
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6151 posts
2361 upvotes
ChampUz wrote: WIND doesn't need student plans, there 35 or 45 dollar plans are ALREADY better then what the Big 3 offer .
Depends on what you need. If you find yourself not living in a Wind Zone, or consistently leaving the Wind Zone, then they could have unlimited everything for $1/mth, if you can't use the service, there's no point in having it.

Also, people knock getting the 3-year contracts, but I'm not wild about paying full price for a phone. If I can get a solid plan, there's no reason not to get a 3-year contract, and get huge savings on the phone. Wind's prices seem good, but the lack of coverage and paying full-price for a phone is holding me back from buying from them. I'd also need to get the $45/month plan plus data from Wind in order to equal the Telus offer, and the cheap data only lasts a year. Not really a better deal, in my books. A poor selection of Android phones doesn't help, either.
Jan 26, 2009
420 posts
204 upvotes
game_fanatic wrote: Depends on what you need. If you find yourself not living in a Wind Zone, or consistently leaving the Wind Zone, then they could have unlimited everything for $1/mth, if you can't use the service, there's no point in having it.

Also, people knock getting the 3-year contracts, but I'm not wild about paying full price for a phone. If I can get a solid plan, there's no reason not to get a 3-year contract, and get huge savings on the phone. Wind's prices seem good, but the lack of coverage and paying full-price for a phone is holding me back from buying from them. I'd also need to get the $45/month plan plus data from Wind in order to equal the Telus offer, and the cheap data only lasts a year. Not really a better deal, in my books. A poor selection of Android phones doesn't help, either.
I am talking if your living in a Wind Home Zone. Well it's ultimately you decision if you want to get a high end phone or not, contract or not. But WIND's Plans are simple, No SAF , 911, BS FEES, Caller ID. And for coverege I can tell you it's gotten really good compared from Start. GL with you and your TELUS plan, I hope you get charged $80 with all these BS fees.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6151 posts
2361 upvotes
ChampUz wrote: I am talking if your living in a Wind Home Zone. Well it's ultimately you decision if you want to get a high end phone or not, contract or not. But WIND's Plans are simple, No SAF , 911, BS FEES, Caller ID. And for coverege I can tell you it's gotten really good compared from Start. GL with you and your TELUS plan, I hope you get charged $80 with all these BS fees.
Not sure what fees you're referring (911 fees? There's no SAF with Telus, as far as I can tell), but looking at the Wind plans, the $15 voice plan + $5 for unlimited texting + $10 for 500mb of data, I'd be looking at everything I needed for $30/month. It's a shame very few good phones are compatible with Wind's network. Ideally I'll try and get Bell to either match that Wind plan I just mentioned, get them to match Telus' student plan, or offer me something in between. We shall see.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2574 posts
113 upvotes
Wind promos can't be combined, you get choice of promo.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6151 posts
2361 upvotes
mariokarter wrote: Wind promos can't be combined, you get choice of promo.
Thanks for that mariokarter, I noticed it didn't apply to the $15 plan anyways, so I thought maybe upgrading to the $45 plan + $10 data might be worth it if I could still get the credit, but it doesn't appear so. Oh well.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2574 posts
113 upvotes
game_fanatic wrote: Thanks for that mariokarter, I noticed it didn't apply to the $15 plan anyways, so I thought maybe upgrading to the $45 plan + $10 data might be worth it if I could still get the credit, but it doesn't appear so. Oh well.
If you were originally considering the $15 plan than wouldn't the next best plan for your voice needs that is eligible for the data discount be the $35 plan?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6151 posts
2361 upvotes
mariokarter wrote: If you were originally considering the $15 plan than wouldn't the next best plan for your voice needs that is eligible for the data discount be the $35 plan?
Well I would primarily use the phone for texting, so I'd need to add $5 for unlimited texting + $10 for the data promotion, so I'd be looking at $50/month with Wind, which isn't ideal considering the limitations. Ideally, Bell retentions will offer me something decent in the $40 range, and I can just lock into a 4-year contract and get a cheap iPhone4 or Samsung Galaxy S.
Jan 26, 2009
420 posts
204 upvotes
game_fanatic wrote: Not sure what fees you're referring (911 fees? There's no SAF with Telus, as far as I can tell), but looking at the Wind plans, the $15 voice plan + $5 for unlimited texting + $10 for 500mb of data, I'd be looking at everything I needed for $30/month. It's a shame very few good phones are compatible with Wind's network. Ideally I'll try and get Bell to either match that Wind plan I just mentioned, get them to match Telus' student plan, or offer me something in between. We shall see.
Very Few? There are alot of good Android Phones that are compatible with WIND. Here are some to name Google Nexus One, Motorola Droid, Driod 2 (if it comes to Canada), Samsung Vibrant/Captivate/whatever the hell else its called, and a million other HTC's on Tmobile USA with sense. Also, if were lucky, the HTC Evo 4G and Motorola Droid X will get GSM varients.

Also, consider once you get out of your LCA, you'll pay some long distance minutes, which I believe is higher then WIND's canada roaming of 25 cents.
Plus you don't get provincial calling, heck you can't even call from toronto to Oakville on a local calling plan without being charged xextra. .
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6151 posts
2361 upvotes
ChampUz wrote: Very Few? There are alot of good Android Phones that are compatible with WIND. Here are some to name Google Nexus One, Motorola Droid, Driod 2 (if it comes to Canada), Samsung Vibrant/Captivate/whatever the hell else its called, and a million other HTC's on Tmobile USA with sense. Also, if were lucky, the HTC Evo 4G and Motorola Droid X will get GSM varients.

Also, consider once you get out of your LCA, you'll pay some long distance minutes, which I believe is higher then WIND's canada roaming of 25 cents.
Plus you don't get provincial calling, heck you can't even call from toronto to Oakville on a local calling plan without being charged xextra. .
Well looking at current plans for Wind, I don't see any deals glaringly better than the Telus plan. Quick comparison:

Wind $45 Plan
Canada-wide calling to any number from any WIND Zone plus all incoming calls while in any WIND Zone

Incoming/Outgoing Text (CA/US) from any WIND Zone

WIND to WIND calling across Canada from any WIND Zone

Call Control (Caller ID, missed-call alerts, call forward, call conferencing, call waiting, call hold)

Voicemail

Add $10 for 500MB of data (50% off data promo)

Total = $55

Telus $55 Plan

200 anytime minutes
1GB of data

Plans are the same price. With Wind I get more minutes and CID. With Telus I can get a subsidized phone, better coverage, and twice as much data. I would never go over my minutes with the Telus plan, so having more minutes isn't a big deal. I'm trying to see the benefits of going over to Wind, but I'm having a tough time seeing the advantages.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2574 posts
113 upvotes
ChampUz wrote: Very Few? There are alot of good Android Phones that are compatible with WIND. Here are some to name Google Nexus One, Motorola Droid, Driod 2 (if it comes to Canada), Samsung Vibrant/Captivate/whatever the hell else its called, and a million other HTC's on Tmobile USA with sense. Also, if were lucky, the HTC Evo 4G and Motorola Droid X will get GSM varients.

Are you serious?

solo-mobile-aka-bell-re-launching-brand ... ra-912894/
mariokarter wrote: Google Nexus One, Motorola Droid, Driod 2 (if it comes to Canada), Samsung Vibrant/Captivate/whatever the hell else its called, and a million other HTC's on Tmobile USA with sense. Also, if were lucky, the HTC Evo 4G and Motorola Droid X will get GSM varients.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6151 posts
2361 upvotes
No worries mariokarter, I read it in the other thread first so I knew it was a lazy copy + paste job. It's exciting to know the Samsung Galaxy can work with Wind should I go that route! I might pop into my local BBV and see if I can swing a deal of some sorts. Thanks for the info!
Jan 26, 2009
420 posts
204 upvotes
game_fanatic wrote: No worries mariokarter, I read it in the other thread first so I knew it was a lazy copy + paste job. It's exciting to know the Samsung Galaxy can work with Wind should I go that route! I might pop into my local BBV and see if I can swing a deal of some sorts. Thanks for the info!
Welcome to the Conversation! Lol my bad, I forgot to give you the credits mariokarter

So credits to you