• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2020 6:56 pm
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
120 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto

Cell phone employee accessing account

Is it possible for cell phone tech support employees to access your phone account to read text messages, listen to phone conversation etc.?
One of the guys I have met works for one of the big 3 telecom's Tier 2/3 tech support and was bragging how he can access any account to listen to calls, reads messages etc.

Though it sounds like BS - does anyone have any more information on it? Is it really possible what that guy claimed?
Share:
26 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33632 posts
19435 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, it's possible and actually part of the agreement.
Feb 29, 2020
101 posts
15 upvotes
Can you please share a link of that agreement?
vkizzle wrote: Yes, it's possible and actually part of the agreement.
Feb 29, 2020
101 posts
15 upvotes
Do you really believe that?
rs97ap wrote: ... One of the guys I have met works for one of the big 3 telecom's Tier 2/3 tech support and was bragging how he can access any account to listen to calls, reads messages etc...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33632 posts
19435 upvotes
Ottawa
DeJesus wrote: Can you please share a link of that agreement?
My apologies, I misunderstood your post.
I was referring to a work issued phone.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
120 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
DeJesus wrote: Do you really believe that?
Not really but again - unbelievable things do happen everyday :p
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3047 posts
608 upvotes
doesn't this violate some privacy act? I mean, the only time calls and text can be pulled is if you committed a crime that requires a warrant to obtain the calls...

i mean, as an employee (not of Rogers), I can pull a customer and agent call to review content of the call for training purposes... but to think that some upper level tech can just pull a private call whenever they want seems a bit far fetched... I call BS and ask him to provide evidence and then if he does, report him.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Sep 14, 2012
500 posts
254 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The only thing that the employee would be able to pull up is the outgoing call logs and perhaps the incoming call logs and outgoing/incoming text message numbers (but not the actual messages themselves).

They can't listen in on the calls or read text messages.

Even if it was technologically possible for example police warrant, etc. it can't just be done because an employee feels like monitoring someone.

With all the permissions required for certain apps, I would be more worried about an app that I installed on my phone listening to my phone calls, monitoring my phone/SMS logs, and accessing my photos/files on my phone than I would be of an employee at the celllular service provider reading my text messages or hearing my phone conversations.
Feb 29, 2020
101 posts
15 upvotes
Even a worked issued phone, there no way your employer can listen to your phone call conversations... Unless they purposely installed an feature in the phone itself... But the cellphone carrier employees cannot listen to phone calls...
vkizzle wrote: My apologies, I misunderstood your post.
I was referring to a work issued phone.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33632 posts
19435 upvotes
Ottawa
DeJesus wrote: Even a worked issued phone, there no way your employer can listen to your phone call conversations... Unless they purposely installed an feature in the phone itself... But the cellphone carrier employees cannot listen to phone calls...
Not listen live, but they can record it for later.
Jun 29, 2017
4 posts
They are either trying to impress you or scare you. No, they don't have access to anything like that. Personal calls (not calls you make to their support teams) are not recorded, unless there is a warrant as mentioned above, and technical support would have nothing to do with that. Text messages are deleted from the server as soon as the phone receives them, again except for a legal exception.

I work for one of the big three at a level where I have access to a lot of things. Don't worry, your sexy conversation is safe from the telco. Just make sure you don't have any malware on your phone.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3864 posts
1134 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Did you know, the Tech support worker is usually the bottom of the company organizational chart. it is highly unlikely the guy on the very bottom who makes like $14 or $15 bucks an hour has access to these kinds of things if they even exist, and even if they do, its likely someone with a little more of an important job will likely have these kind of access THAT IS , if such access even exists, which I do not believe it does. They try to scare you, or watch too much CSI New York

Most people in this kind of roles are simply logging tickets or following a script of some sort, and are on the bottom of the barrel. plus everything is logged and if someone is caught abusing it, they get fired, this includes people who leak confidential info wether its about a customer or inside info.
Hi
Jun 21, 2011
798 posts
90 upvotes
YYZ
I know that when a company puts you on waiting like rogers or bell or whoever the agent can actually listen to your conversation
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3864 posts
1134 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
its called putting on mute, nothing new, but yes there would be silence, no hold music, this is old news. Call Centre jobs are Higher pressure, whos got the time to dink around and listen to you when they put you on hold? they are too busy trying to hit their stats and fix the issue to do mischievous things while your on hold
Hi
Feb 29, 2020
101 posts
15 upvotes
There’s no violation for that... OP stated then someone from the inside can supposedly access some voice calls conversations ans SMS transcript... Your exemple isn’t any fraudulent and OP statement doesn’t make much sense either...
bas00m wrote: I know that when a company puts you on waiting like rogers or bell or whoever the agent can actually listen to your conversation