• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2021 7:55 pm
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
683 posts
211 upvotes

Cell Phone Plans

Apologies, I'm out of the loop on this and I'm sure this topic has been re-hashed many times, but what's up with mobile plans in Canada?

2 years ago I broke the screen on my Galaxy S8 and while in Costco I just casually asked the kiosk dude if they fixed them. A few hours later I had 2 new mid-range phones (Pixel 3 for me and an iPhone8 for my wife) and a new plan with Virgin, plus a bunch of Costco gift cards etc. While the data wasn't big (3GB for+3 extra for me) everything was $100 a month (2 x plans and phones).

Now I'm in need of another phone (battery is fried) and figure since my term has expired, it'd be an easy upgrade. While I can definitely get more data for my money, there is no way I'm getting a decent phone for under $60 a month (plan and device). The guy at Costco just said "those days are gone" and I walked away when I realized I'm not getting anything decent under $80-90 a month.

I have no issues buying devices outright and doing a BYOD plan, or whatever, but it kills me that I need to. The only real concern I have with a phone is a decent camera, and it be Android. I usually bounce between Samsungs and Pixels.

Any recommendations on a route to go? Are there not any decent corporate plans anymore (i.e. military, government or health care worker)? Is there a time of year to wait until? My current phone is almost borderline functional, but I'm stubborn and will wait,

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2101 posts
95 upvotes
Medicine Hat
Those days are gone.

Buy a phone outright in your budget, get a pre-paid plan, be cheap and happy.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4741 posts
2098 upvotes
GTA
Take a look at Zooomer Wireless and their two year terms. Runs on the Rogers network. Keep in mind there is a 10% discount on two year terms listed on their site so even though the $50 plan says $50/month, it comes out to $45 afterwards.

You can get a decent phone on that $45 7GB plan

https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3269 posts
781 upvotes
I think they clamp down on corporate plans... if you got a corporate plan and you're not eligible, they will probably change it... I had a Fido ambassador plan and 8 years ago, I got a text message to confirm my dealer code. So, it's better to check with your work for the corporate plan.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
683 posts
211 upvotes
randomdef wrote: Those days are gone.

Buy a phone outright in your budget, get a pre-paid plan, be cheap and happy.
Are pre-paid plans somehow more economical?
Apr 25, 2019
362 posts
590 upvotes
DirtyDog wrote: Are pre-paid plans somehow more economical?
Yes, you can get 5 GB for $40, or 10.5 GB for $50 on auto pay. Lucky Mobile, Chatr, and Public are the cheapest providers, with the caveat the speeds are capped at 3 Mbps. I use Lucky, and have been for almost 2 years. I hardly notice the speed. It's plenty fast.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25