Request-A-Deal

Cell Phone plans/Internet Deals

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 3:28 pm
[OP]
Dec 13, 2013
5 posts

Cell Phone plans/Internet Deals

Moving into a new place in a week and looking to get a new phone plan. Ideally im looking for unlimited everything with minimum 5 gs of data. Around 50$ after all costs would be great.

Internet: did start and techsavvy before. What else is good?
7 replies
Oct 24, 2010
808 posts
578 upvotes
Ottawa
For mobile, who are you with now and how long have you been there?

Zoomer Wireless is pretty popular on RFD. BYOD ends up $36/month for 5GB, unlimited texts, and 800 minutes; or $40.50 for unlimited minutes and 6GB. They also offer a $100 activation credit and free lower end or older phone if you sign for 24 months. They're owned by Rogers, but have roaming agreements (with free roaming) with Telus and Bell outside of Rogers' coverage areas as long as the majority if your data is used within their network.

I joined Zoomer on a BYOD month-to-month early this month, and sign up and porting was simple. My SIM arrived by mail within a couple business days, and porting my number over just took clicking a button.

My previous provider, for 2+ years, was Virgin and they quickly called me after the port for a loyalty and retention deal that beat out Zoomer and pulled me back. $400 device credit, $50 device credit, $37/month for 5GB and unlimited talk/text; it ended up ~$50/month after tax with a new Galaxy S10 for 2 years. So if you've been with one of the big buys for a while, it might actually benefit you to just port out to a month-to-month or prepaid somewhere (Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile, etc) and hope for a phone call.
May 24, 2008
517 posts
124 upvotes
Alberta
I am moving five lines after 5 years with Freedom Mobile to Zoomer. It's on Rogers network so I will get a decent signal. I went for the promotion $40.50 plan 6gb, unlimited across Canada calling and global texts. Got five free phones and $500 credits so am pretty stoked.
Using the awesome Blackberry KEY2. & KeyOne. Used to have BlackBerry Passport SE, Z30, Z10, BOLD 9900, 9000, Playbook 36gb
Dec 13, 2012
5 posts
Montreal
Hi, quick question:
I'm now considering Zoomer and hoping for a call back from my actual provider (Fido). You had no problem to go back to Virgin and cancelling with Zoomer after such a short term? Is there a "trial" period where we can cancel the contract?
Thank you!
May 24, 2008
517 posts
124 upvotes
Alberta
Thirty days if I am correct with my memory. I am delighted I chose Zoomer, for me it ticked all the boxes. I benefited from a referral as well bagging an extra $50 credit, Good luck
Using the awesome Blackberry KEY2. & KeyOne. Used to have BlackBerry Passport SE, Z30, Z10, BOLD 9900, 9000, Playbook 36gb
Feb 11, 2019
342 posts
402 upvotes
ON
Dynatos wrote: My previous provider, for 2+ years, was Virgin and they quickly called me after the port for a loyalty and retention deal that beat out Zoomer and pulled me back. $400 device credit, $50 device credit, $37/month for 5GB and unlimited talk/text; it ended up ~$50/month after tax with a new Galaxy S10 for 2 years. So if you've been with one of the big buys for a while, it might actually benefit you to just port out to a month-to-month or prepaid somewhere (Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile, etc) and hope for a phone call.
Ported out number from Virgin to Telus EPP yesterday, though haven’t activated the number on Telus yet.

Received call just now from Virgin loyalty department, similar offer with regard to $400 device credit, with $47 for 10GB (was on the 56 for 10, no contract). The rep did seem very willing to include further discounts but YMMV, wasn’t particularly interested so didn’t enquire further. Was with Virgin for just over a year, first on the BYOD 40/6, then BYOD 56/10 (raised to 61 recently, but with 12 month + covid months 5$ credit)
May 24, 2008
517 posts
124 upvotes
Alberta
Lolol, so I left Freedom Wednesday and all I got was an email asking to to select reasons why I left other than that it's been radio silence. Mind you they probably wanted me of the Promo 50 plan as it was a killer plan and maki ng them no cash from me. Onwards Zoomer Wireless!