• Aug 14th, 2021 4:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1968 posts
1829 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Cell phone recommendation for illiterate and non english speaking grandmother

My grandmother is both illiterate and cannot speak or understand english. She needs a phone with:

• Big pysical buttons
  • No features except calling (not even texting)
  • Should have those charging docks so she doesn't need to plug in

The only one i found that fulfills some of this is the RCA from amazon, but it does not hav a dock. Does anyone have any recommendations that fulfill them all?

https://www.amazon.ca/RCA-Unlocked-Emer ... 69&sr=8-19
6 replies
Aug 30, 2012
169 posts
83 upvotes
Make sure whichever phone you get will be able to receive 3G or higher service otherwise sim may not work with your provider.
The charging cradle is nice but there are phones which have charging ends that are round so no need to figure out which side of plug goes into charging port.
The SOS is good as can program to ring a particular number to let you know there is a problem.
Also check for hearing aid compatibility if individual wears hearing aids...otherwise there will be feedback squeals using phone.
Some of the phones come with multi language which might work for your individual as well.
I found Doro phones were very simple and came with different options .Check Facebook market and eBay as well once you settle on a few phones that suit the needs.
https://www.amazon.ca/Factory-Unlocked- ... 623&sr=8-5

If you buy from amazon...order several phones you think might be suitable and test them out with your grandmother,return the ones you decide not to keep. This way your grandmother has some say in the phone that is picked and hopefully used.

Pricey option but interesting
https://www.razmobility.com/assistive-t ... r-seniors/
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3923 posts
1246 upvotes
curious... why can't a entry model smartphone work? Reason why I suggest it is because it's pictorial. And with android, you can create a contact on the main screen, so one button to call a specific person. You can also install/setup required language.

The only missing requirement is giant buttons...
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40/6gb, unlimited NA plan (roaming included)
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2373 posts
1767 upvotes
Montreal, QC
CrazyJo82 wrote: curious... why can't a entry model smartphone work? Reason why I suggest it is because it's pictorial. And with android, you can create a contact on the main screen, so one button to call a specific person. You can also install/setup required language.

The only missing requirement is giant buttons...
I'm not the original poster but I would not get a smartphone for some people (ex: my parents). The reason being that I might be able to teach them how to answer a phone call, if they open the phone app and accidentally touched/tapped on the recent call list and didn't see the screen with the dialpad, they would be totally confused.

Also, if they accidentally clicked on something, they probably wouldn't know how to get back to what they were used to. Also, sometimes my older phones (so I would consider them close to what entry level smartphones are today) will sometimes slow down or not react to certain taps/swipes on the screen which they will probably not know what to do about if it happens to them.

They use a flip physical push phone and a "candbybar" phone and they (and I) are happy about that.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3923 posts
1246 upvotes
that's fair... my 90 year old grandfather is a big more high tech then your normal senior... lol
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40/6gb, unlimited NA plan (roaming included)
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14276 posts
3512 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Flip phones are good so they don't have to know how to end a call.

Instead of worrying about big buttons, I would pre-program one or two numbers, then mark those buttons with stickers or paint.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)