• Jul 10th, 2017 5:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10439 posts
619 upvotes
New-Brunswick

Cell phone recommendations

I'm looking for a new phone as my LG G4 is effectively bricked from the boot loop issue and out of warranty. LG wants 149$ to fix it and the local shop wants a laughable 275$. That said, I am also changing to Public Mobile from Rogers as the cheapest HUP I can get, even with giving up half my data is over 80$ a month with taxes.

I mostly use the phone to text, play games and as a hotspot for the internet at our cottage on PEI. I don't really care for sound quality or camera as I barely use that but I'd like at lest 32GB storage and 3GB of ram.

So what should I look for in a 200-300$ range phone in the 5.5" size where the LTE works on public mobile? There's hundreds of phones which makes it hard to find the perfect one... I was looking at the Xiaomi Note 4 but I guess the LTE doesn't work on Public. I looked at others from geekbuying or whatever and then the 3G wouldn't work or it'd be partial LTE, etc. so I though I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Pricier than I'd like but any experiences with this phone? Lenovo Zuk Z2 Pro
22 replies
Jan 19, 2017
427 posts
120 upvotes
have a look at HTC One A9. if you buy one, make sure it's the either an unbranded HTC phone or an AT&T-branded phone and *not* a Sprint-branded phone (although, AT&T has stopped updating the phone's software).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7666 posts
5168 upvotes
Canada
Zenfone 3

Avoid the chinese phones, no warranty, no support, limited lte
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10439 posts
619 upvotes
New-Brunswick
Thanks, all options to consider
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13857 upvotes
Going to the Moon
@Feneant since you're coming from an LG G4, what brands are you open to? Since you collect PC pts...

LG G5 and Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) can probably be acquired for a net ~$100-200 during back to school or end of July at The Mobile Shop (say tab medium on Koodo, refer a friend at $50, at least 250k PC pts, then change to an AB number to drop sales tax, then go on seasonal hold, then cancel after 90 days...the more of these steps you do, the more you grind down your phone cost). LG G5 has been confirmed to get bootlooped, but not as frequent as G4. Galaxy A5 is fairly slick, and if you play out the promo's you'll get it for less than wholesale or used market price. Either are not bad for a daily driver. If you get them on Koodo, you wouldn't even need unlock code to use on Public (then get unlock code free on Dec. 1st.

Paying well under $200 tax-in for a mid-range or last year's flagship and get easy access to the manufacturer's 1 yr warranty is more appealing to me than those grey market brands (unless you need a dual-sim phone).
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1696 posts
592 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Feneant wrote: I'm looking for a new phone as my LG G4 is effectively bricked from the boot loop issue and out of warranty. LG wants 149$ to fix it and the local shop wants a laughable 275$. That said, I am also changing to Public Mobile from Rogers as the cheapest HUP I can get, even with giving up half my data is over 80$ a month with taxes.

I mostly use the phone to text, play games and as a hotspot for the internet at our cottage on PEI. I don't really care for sound quality or camera as I barely use that but I'd like at lest 32GB storage and 3GB of ram.

So what should I look for in a 200-300$ range phone in the 5.5" size where the LTE works on public mobile? There's hundreds of phones which makes it hard to find the perfect one... I was looking at the Xiaomi Note 4 but I guess the LTE doesn't work on Public. I looked at others from geekbuying or whatever and then the 3G wouldn't work or it'd be partial LTE, etc. so I though I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Pricier than I'd like but any experiences with this phone? Lenovo Zuk Z2 Pro

Did LG not extend the G4 warranty from 12 to to 21 months recently? Are you beyond the 21 months mark?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/27/lg-g4 ... ty-canada/
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13857 upvotes
Going to the Moon
wally_walrus wrote: Did LG not extend the G4 warranty from 12 to to 21 months recently? Are you beyond the 21 months mark?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/27/lg-g4 ... ty-canada/
Since OP created this thread today, I'd say safe to say his bootloop is past the 21 month mark. OP must have got the phone between launch (June 2015) and back to school that year.

Getting almost two years out of a phone isn't all bad, but having it die to a bootloop shortly after warranty expires is bad luck.

LG should have made it a flat 2 yr warranty for bootloops, but obviously my opinion carries no weight in this.
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10439 posts
619 upvotes
New-Brunswick
The LG agent in live chat said my warranty was 'long expired'
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13857 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Feneant wrote: The LG agent in live chat said my warranty was 'long expired'
When did you get the LG G4? You should have 21 months as of then for bootloops. If you got the LG G4 from carrier, the warranty should be handled through carrier. Best to give them a ring or go to their store. If they refuse, then take it to the CCTS.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10439 posts
619 upvotes
New-Brunswick
I got the phone in July 2015 so I'm at 24 months, both Rogers and LG said no to warranty. I took it as a reason to get a new phone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6806 posts
2464 upvotes
Vancouver
Feneant wrote: I'm looking for a new phone as my LG G4 is effectively bricked from the boot loop issue and out of warranty. LG wants 149$ to fix it and the local shop wants a laughable 275$. That said, I am also changing to Public Mobile from Rogers as the cheapest HUP I can get, even with giving up half my data is over 80$ a month with taxes.

Thanks in advance!

Did you speak with a manager at LG? Since bootloop is a hardware issue, they under the law have to repair it. Speak to a manager. What they are doing is a cause for a class action lawsuit.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6806 posts
2464 upvotes
Vancouver
titaniumtux wrote: Since OP created this thread today, I'd say safe to say his bootloop is past the 21 month mark. OP must have got the phone between launch (June 2015) and back to school that year.

Getting almost two years out of a phone isn't all bad, but having it die to a bootloop shortly after warranty expires is bad luck.

LG should have made it a flat 2 yr warranty for bootloops, but obviously my opinion carries no weight in this.
The 21 month warranty was a scammy and low move on LG. In the first 3 months they sold more than 1/3 of LG G4s and claim those are the only phones that have bootloop issues. So, they admitted of having the hardware issue and then made sure almost no one can claim the warranty...lol. smart low-life move.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
16345 posts
5705 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unlocked-5-3-LG- ... u-4tHXjGEw

LG G5 for around $350 CAD. I know you had a bad experience with the LG G4 due to the bootloop issue, but the G5 is solid. A few of my friends and my dad has had the phone since release and they love it. I would advise against getting the Canadian version of the LG G5, and instead get the H850 version that I linked. Reason being is that the Canadian version has a locked bootloader with no unlocking coming anytime soon. This makes it difficult for the user to fix any software issues they have with the phone, let alone flashing custom ROMs, whether they be LG based or AOSP based. The H850 has tons of support on XDA so if you ever run into any software issues, you can fix it yourself. You're also not at the mercy of LG to push updates for your phone.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13857 upvotes
Going to the Moon
geokilla wrote: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unlocked-5-3-LG- ... u-4tHXjGEw

LG G5 for around $350 CAD. I know you had a bad experience with the LG G4 due to the bootloop issue, but the G5 is solid...
Way cheaper to grind the Canadian variant down to under $200 on Koodo at Wow or TMS.

For $350+, there are many non-LG options (Asus, Lenovorola, heck even Samsung) that may be worth the coin.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26316 posts
5326 upvotes
I just bought the Blu Life One X2 and so far really like it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10439 posts
619 upvotes
New-Brunswick
I ended up ordering the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 global for which there's that long thread in hot deals. I came real close to ordering the Zenfone 2 but figure because the price was similar I'd get the newer phone. I didn't want to do the buy, cancel, swap, etc. business and living in NB my options are limited. Otherwise I'd just have bought someone's phone off kijiji.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13857 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Feneant wrote: I ended up ordering the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 global for which there's that long thread in hot deals. I came real close to ordering the Zenfone 2 but figure because the price was similar I'd get the newer phone. I didn't want to do the buy, cancel, swap, etc. business and living in NB my options are limited. Otherwise I'd just have bought someone's phone off kijiji.
Good on you for not buying a phone off Kijiji.