• Aug 14th, 2020 2:40 pm
[OP]
Feb 23, 2015
370 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Cell phone that will work on landline?

Is there such a thing?
Some gadget plugged into landline or home internet acting as a cell tower perhaps.
12 replies
Apr 12, 2013
515 posts
397 upvotes
BC
Connect to landline: no. But as mentioned you can use wifi calling (Shaw and Fido both support it) however most traditional providers include use in your minutes. There are several wifi only options, but I've heard mixed reviews. Definitely do some research on wifi calling and you'll get lots of info.

Good luck
Aug 11, 2018
713 posts
585 upvotes
can you go into detail why you'd want such a device? then maybe we can help with alternatives

i see wifi calling has already been suggested, which works great if you have low signal in your home.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1909 posts
178 upvotes
Markham, ON
I think the client is referring the those Femtocell device Rogers/FiDO offered like a decade ago, but I don't believe they offer it anymore with the popularity of WIFI calling.

I know carriers in the US recently offered it -- but they too stopped offering it as heavily with the adoption of WIFI calling.
TELUS, Koodo, Public Mobile, FIDO customer.
[OP]
Feb 23, 2015
370 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
WiFi call quality is poor, this is for business calls. I guess WiFi being VOIP the quality has improved over the years but not yet equal to landline quality.
Feb 29, 2020
103 posts
15 upvotes
Are you looking for a service coming from a cellphone / SIM card or VoIP / Internet based? Sorry but I’m just confused...

BizDeveloper wrote: WiFi call quality is poor, this is for business calls. I guess WiFi being VOIP the quality has improved over the years but not yet equal to landline quality.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1288 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm a little confused as to what OP is looking for, but I thought I'd add that some cordless phones offer Bluetooth connectivity so incoming calls on the cell ring on the cordless phones
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21115 posts
2474 upvotes
Toronto
treasureseeker3 wrote: I'm a little confused as to what OP is looking for, but I thought I'd add that some cordless phones offer Bluetooth connectivity so incoming calls on the cell ring on the cordless phones
This....the Panasonics are really good!

We have the Panasonic KX series and pair it with our cellphones. This is on one line and the other is our Ooma.

Works great!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15103 posts
3869 upvotes
Markham
BizDeveloper wrote: Is there such a thing?
Some gadget plugged into landline or home internet acting as a cell tower perhaps.
Cordless Phone with Smartphone Connect and Slim Base KX-PRW130W- 1 Handset

KX-PRW130W

https://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/KX-PRW130W.html
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Oct 1, 2009
431 posts
162 upvotes
West coast
I have a feeling you're just stuck into thinking that the old landlines style are still being used for calls (and maybe they are in some areas) but the majority of the current "landlines" are already voip.

I remember one of my old companies changed over to voip about 10 years ago and you won't notice any quality difference. This was done so the calls can be integrated into enterprise software like salesforce and such.
[OP]
Feb 23, 2015
370 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Yes this may be as close as I can get.

Even landlines are for the most part digital, which is ok. VOIP has a bad reputation as the channel is not dedicated to just phone calls.

Then there is this I am just starting to read...
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-mak ... und-better

Since this will be used by a business, and used by non-technical people, I have to be careful what I recommend they get.