Cell Phones

Cell reliability on Windsor - Montréal VIA and highway corridor?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2020 5:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18430 posts
4765 upvotes
Toronto

Cell reliability on Windsor - Montréal VIA and highway corridor?

For the most part, cell reception for me has been decent in the GTA on Fido/Rogers, at least where I need to use it.

However, sometimes on the highway or train between Toronto and Montréal between towns, cell reception has been spotty.

I know some people say Bellus works better for them, but is this true in this corridor as well?

Could it be my 2016 phone? It’s an iPhone 7 Plus. My wife has an iPhone XR and she says her reception on Fido was fine, but I don’t know how much she was using it. My plan is to get a 5G iPhone in 2020, I know 5G will take time to roll out, but I’m guessing its Qualcomm chipset could be superior even for LTE, as compared to my Intel chipset LTE iPhone.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1765 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
Whenever I drive, including to/from Montreal, I always stream internet radio in the car. I have Koodo (Telus) and generally have an uninterrupted stream for the entire drive. There might be one instance where it breaks for a few seconds, but otherwise perfect. It’s also LTE in many sections, but 3G is just as reliable for streaming audio. I use an iPhone 6S Plus (unsure which modem it uses, but been holding off upgrading due to horror stories with current modems in use in current models)
Celebrating 18+ years on RFD!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18430 posts
4765 upvotes
Toronto
wysiwyg wrote: Whenever I drive, including to/from Montreal, I always stream internet radio in the car. I have Koodo (Telus) and generally have an uninterrupted stream for the entire drive. There might be one instance where it breaks for a few seconds, but otherwise perfect. It’s also LTE in many sections, but 3G is just as reliable for streaming audio. I use an iPhone 6S Plus (unsure which modem it uses, but been holding off upgrading due to horror stories with current modems in use in current models)
Yeah, the problem is when it drops to 3G, surfing often becomes a problem. I guess for music streaming it’s OK because there is a significant buffer.

BTW, I’m now on the train back sitting across from my wife. As mentioned I have the iPhone 7 Plus. She has the iPhone XR and an LTE iPad 7th generation. In terms of LTE strength, it seems iPad 7 (Gigabit class Intel modem) > iPhone XR (Intel modem) > iPhone 7 Plus (Intel modem).

This seems to correlate with these tests:

https://www.opensignal.com/2019/02/15/o ... est-speeds

[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18430 posts
4765 upvotes
Toronto
The train trip is coming to an end. We have had hours to test. If the iPhone XR is better than the iPhone 7 Plus, it’s not by a huge amount. However, the iPad 7 is clearly better than both of those iPhones for LTE reliability.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2086 posts
1162 upvotes
Calgary
EugW wrote: My plan is to get a 5G iPhone in 2020, I know 5G will take time to roll out, but I’m guessing its Qualcomm chipset could be superior even for LTE, as compared to my Intel chipset LTE iPhone.
Not going to happen in 2020 at least. Apple & Qualcomm aren't exactly on the best terms, and they also don't generally adopt cell technology before it's ready (remember the first iPhone wasn't even 3G, and it was two years after LTE was introduced that Apple included it on an iPhone (iPhone 5).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18430 posts
4765 upvotes
Toronto
Devhux wrote: Not going to happen in 2020 at least. Apple & Qualcomm aren't exactly on the best terms, and they also don't generally adopt cell technology before it's ready (remember the first iPhone wasn't even 3G, and it was two years after LTE was introduced that Apple included it on an iPhone (iPhone 5).
Apple and Qualcomm kissed and made up April of 2019. Actually, on April Fool's Day. :D That includes Apple paying Qualcomm at least US$4.5 billion.

https://www.apple.com/ca/newsroom/2019/ ... itigation/

Agreement ends all ongoing litigation, including with Apple’s contract manufacturers
Companies have reached a global patent license agreement and a chipset supply agreement

San Diego and Cupertino, California — Qualcomm and Apple today announced an agreement to dismiss all litigation between the two companies worldwide. The settlement includes a payment from Apple to Qualcomm. The companies also have reached a six-year license agreement, effective as of April 1, 2019, including a two-year option to extend, and a multiyear chipset supply agreement.

Furthermore, the X55 chipset is Qualcomm's second generation lower power 5G chipset, and that is out now.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapd ... 5-5g-modem

This means that iPhones are effectively guaranteed to get Qualcomm 5G in 2020. The real question is whether or not the iPad Pros will also get Qualcomm 5G in 2020, but I think it's likely.