• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 10:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1816 posts
454 upvotes

Cement Base for Interlock Driveway

I was thinking replacing my decade old, builder-provided asphalt driveway with interlock.

Noticed a flyer in my mailbox today that was promoting interlock with a cement base. This supposedly eliminates weed/grass from coming through (permanantly) and "lasts forever".

Are there any real benefits for having a concrete base under interlock?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1384 posts
1415 upvotes
ON
Lasts forever...lol.
On an interlock surface, the weeds never grow from the base. It’s always from the seeds that fall and grow out from the gaps in between the interlock stones. Polymeric sand can control the weeds but then you have to stay on top and make sure that the sand is topped up regularly as it gets washed away.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1994 posts
1726 upvotes
GTA
Holystone wrote: Lasts forever...lol.
On an interlock surface, the weeds never grow from the base.
+1, same thing with filter fabric, weeds blow in from the top.

Anyways, it could have its perks, but generally you're just going to pay a lot of money for some concrete base when you could have just used granular.

The real question here is.... what's the concrete based on? Is it based on a good solid granular base? The same base that could support the pavers without the concrete? In the end if your contractor does poor base prep and cheaps out on the base, you're going to have the same issues with a concrete base or not. The concrete base might help you span some small areas of settling.

So yeah, stopping weeds isn't really something they can claim. And the added cost of actually doing a proper concrete based will be a lot considering the small benefits if any you will get out of it.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
424 upvotes
For all that trouble I’d just pour concrete and put a stamped finish on it like bricks or flag stone...
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1332 posts
902 upvotes
London, On
The city of London just redid a 4 block section of the downtown main drag with bricks, with a concrete base. Which makes sense for a roadway with traffic. We all have likely seen what a paver driveway looks like over the course of years, they do settle and heave a little. I don't think there is any amount of prep that would stop that. I can see a concrete base being beneficial to that, but is the cost worth it? Would it be better to outlay the cash now for concrete under the pavers for a house you might not possibly live in down the road when the timeframe comes where you would otherwise have been redoing the driveway anyway? Would that be a selling feature of the house, or would the prospective buyers not care, which is most likely. Or when the time comes, is it just easier to rip the driveway out and redo it? Maybe by that point, you would want to do something different anyway. I hardly see paver driveways being done now, maybe they go right out of style by then and you will be glad you didn't pay for the concrete underlay years ago. As suggested above, I would just go with stamped concrete. Definitely no weeds there, and it will look better and last as long as the concrete/pavers.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3320 posts
898 upvotes
Ancaster
One of the neighbors is my area did a rough concrete base and then interlock on top of it. As others have mentioned he still needs to keep up on the issues with weeds on the surface of the interlock but he has had no settling on his driveway as you see with interlock over a period of years.

It's a pretty expensive option to go with though.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea ... the concrete base is more to combat settling... espically I find the first 6ft from the garage floor edge outward. I usually always see the track depressions. Hence Im planing on doing stamped concrete in that area and then tie into my walkway upto the house and porch... and then maybe blend it with flagstone or something on the driveway. So extend my walkway onto my driveway a bit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)