Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1133 posts
1980 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…

Cement or Interlock?

We are going to finish the walkways and underdeck (walkout basement) and would like to know your experiences and advice on whether to use interlock (larger stone like 2x2ft) or concrete (pattern or aggregate or plain?). As stated we have a walkout, so the side walkway would be stairs to the lower lawn level and from there would like to finish under the deck and also a jut-out from under the deck to hold an outdoor fireplace. Is stone better? concrete? Any type of upkeep needed for either? thankyou.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5023 posts
1700 upvotes
Concrete for sure.

Hard to keep 2x2 pads flat, so after a year or two, some will be high or low creating a tripping hazard.
Let's hug it out
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35123 posts
8544 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Another vote for concrete.

Lot more maintenance with interlock. Especially with weeds popping up when the polymeric sand is washed away.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2618 posts
1594 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Interlock, if there's a problem with it, or something shifts it can be fixed. If you do stamped concrete and you develop a crack, there's no way to fix it without it being noticeable
Mar 22, 2011
685 posts
219 upvotes
+1 vote for concrete. I have stamped concrete. It's been here for 10+ years and no signs of cracking at all. Though, i do seal it every other year to protect the look of my stamped concrete. Otherwise, there is little maintenance. Mind you, concrete does cost more.

With interlock you have to deal with pulling grass, weeds between bricks frequently. Shifting of the bricks also occur every few years.
Apr 27, 2014
373 posts
129 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Interlock done properly is the best choice - cheaper and it can be fixed. First interlock install done about 20 years ago now is still weed free and level. When you see weeds or shifting in newer interlock the install was probably done on the cheap and they didn't dig deep enough and or back fill properly with screening etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1374 posts
441 upvotes
Vaughan
interlock. as mentioned by others, easier/cheaper to fix when things do go wrong. filling the gaps with interlock once a year isn't too much work. cheaper to re-level if needed to be done.

the horror stories I've heard with concrete and concrete stamping made me lean towards interlock for my backyard and front driveway. a house on my street did concrete along the side of the house extending all the way to the backyard. next year, I saw them rip if off completely. I spoke to the neighbour about it and was told that the concrete job was done so poorly that it had caused water to flow towards the house. at the end, their basement ended up leaking. With that being said, I have seen lots of beautiful concrete stamping done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1133 posts
1980 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
By chance, does anyone have any good personal recommendations on a landscaper that can do stone and or cement?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)