• Oct 17th, 2017 1:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3854 upvotes

Center jack point

Do all sedan cars have a center point front and aft where I can put a 3ton jack in the center part to rise the entire front or back of the car?

Looking to buy the costco arcan 3 ton jack for 115$ after the discount, lift one side, put the 2 normal scissor jacks, then rise the other side for quick tire rotation. and stop paying 20$+tax at the mechanic to do that.

Also thinking of using this method to change my oil. Probably keeping the 3 ton, then use the 2 scissor jacks as a backup safety measure when I go underneath the car.
24 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36020 posts
22163 upvotes
Center of Universe
You can use the front and rear crossmember.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1216 upvotes
aGincourt
Yes, most cars have a front jacking point under the subframe and rear jacking point also under subframe, rear tow hook, or differential. Check owner's manual to be sure.

I hope you are confusing scissor jacks with jack stands. Do not go underneath your car with it supported by scissor jacks, they can fall and kill you. Scissor jacks are only for things like swapping tires, ie, jobs that don't require you to be unearth the car. And do not go underneath your car supported by the floor jack either, again use jack stands. If you want to be the most safe when changing oil, use ramps.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3719 posts
1244 upvotes
Edmonton
Or on the front or rear diff aswell
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4000 posts
902 upvotes
Mississauga
Messerschmitt wrote: Do all sedan cars have a center point front and aft where I can put a 3ton jack in the center part to rise the entire front or back of the car?

Looking to buy the costco arcan 3 ton jack for 115$ after the discount, lift one side, put the 2 normal scissor jacks, then rise the other side for quick tire rotation. and stop paying 20$+tax at the mechanic to do that.

Also thinking of using this method to change my oil. Probably keeping the 3 ton, then use the 2 scissor jacks as a backup safety measure when I go underneath the car.
Usually the manual will list the lift points even for the center or sometimes there are markings on the spots.
Some cars, the little tow hook in the back is the lift point for the rear.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21997 posts
2806 upvotes
Jack stands are for safety, not more jacks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6454 posts
2127 upvotes
BC
OP, better read this first: https://www.floorjackshop.com/how-to-ja ... n-8-steps/

Lots of things to consider and/or extra things to have on hand before placing that new Costco jack cup on your pinch weld jacking points or anywhere else.

Not all vehicles have a designated centre jack point at the front, and even fewer have one at the rear. Have to know what you are doing.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2901 posts
1203 upvotes
GTA
macnut wrote: OP, better read this first: https://www.floorjackshop.com/how-to-ja ... n-8-steps/

Lots of things to consider and/or extra things to have on hand before placing that new Costco jack cup on your pinch weld jacking points or anywhere else.

Not all vehicles have a designated centre jack point at the front, and even fewer have one at the rear. Have to know what you are doing.
This exactly, and read the manual
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4769 posts
3983 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Messerschmitt wrote: Do all sedan cars have a center point front and aft where I can put a 3ton jack in the center part to rise the entire front or back of the car?

If you substitute “jack stands” where you’ve said “scissor jacks” then you’d be ahead safety-wise. Scissor Jacks are known as “Widow Makers” and shouldn’t be used to do any kind of work underneath the car other than to change one tire at a time. And please don’t use 2 in one side while you jack up the other side - that’s a recipe for disaster!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2594 posts
1213 upvotes
for $20, i dunno if it's worth the effort.
but if you're doing a winter/summer wheel switch, that would be the best time to rotate them.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2900 posts
1616 upvotes
Markham
Using scissor jacks as "regular" jacks? How much is your life worth?
Apr 8, 2010
788 posts
436 upvotes
toronto
not all cars have a central jack point and anyone who tells you that all cars do is incorrect.

you can try to use the diff as someone mentioned but some diffs are not strong enough to support weight of car and do you want to take that chance?

subframe mounts are generally on either side of the car and will not get the whole front/ rear up.

best bet is use the sub frame, lift one side, put floor jack on the factory lift point and then do other side.

if you don't use a strong enough point, you can cause some serious issues with your car or worse, get yourself killed.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27904 posts
4203 upvotes
Montreal
Viperoni wrote: This exactly, and read the manual
Some manufacturers are quite stingy with information in their manuals. They will have 10 pages of warnings explaining that auto parking still requires driver participation, but won't supply jack points or wheel torque specs.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4903 posts
963 upvotes
rural ontario
be aware many manuals will give you jack points for the spare tire jack which is usually shaped to fit pinch welds. aftermarket jacks rarely (I've never seen one) accommodate pinch welds and you can damage the metal by putting blunt force on the bottom of the weld.
My AWD cars have easy to find spots for front/rear lifting. my FWD cars do not have anything at all, only pinch welds.
I bought an adaptor that fits into my 3 ton jack for the pinch welds.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36020 posts
22163 upvotes
Center of Universe
rilles wrote: be aware many manuals will give you jack points for the spare tire jack which is usually shaped to fit pinch welds. aftermarket jacks rarely (I've never seen one) accommodate pinch welds and you can damage the metal by putting blunt force on the bottom of the weld.
My AWD cars have easy to find spots for front/rear lifting. my FWD cars do not have anything at all, only pinch welds.
I bought an adaptor that fits into my 3 ton jack for the pinch welds.
I use a puck.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5793 posts
3319 upvotes
Toronto
Always use jack stands along with or without pump/scissor Jacks for safety. If you want to save time when doing oil changes, get those ramps.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4903 posts
963 upvotes
rural ontario
this youtube video shows the danger of rubber adapters and probably explains why my hockey puck ones self destructed.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5189 posts
1962 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: Using scissor jacks as "regular" jacks? How much is your life worth?
Scissor jacks have their uses.

I use them to get my car up a bit so the regular jack can slide under to get to the cross bar.

Also of use for lowered cars where a regular trolley jack can't slide under and lift right away.

Obviously don't crawl under a jack mounted just on a scissor jack.