Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 26, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
NEPEAN

central air warranty issue

Our central air is less than 5 years old and it is still under labor and parts warranty. It is not cooling properly so we called for warranty repair.

We have to pay for a "service" call ($90) which is somehow not included in the labor warranty. The technician determined we have a low pressure and he recharged the refrigerant (again at our cost). If it leaked again, he will come back to add dye ($100) into the system. Then come back a few days later for another "service" call at a reduce rate of $50. He will repair the leaks or replace the parts under warranty.

Is this how the HVAC industry works? Has anyone called for warranty service? I was told by the company that we did not pay for the option to cover the "service" calls. I guess I should have read and understand my contracts more carefully.
7 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1308 upvotes
Mississauga
It depends on how it is outlined in your contract. What brand is the unit?

Most hvac manufaturers only cover parts in the limited warranty. I've checked Lennox, Trane, American Standard and Goodman in past. For a fee, most manufacturers offer extended warranty to handle the labour portion.
Same goes for authorized dealers. Some installers offer free in-house 5 or 10 yr labour to fill the gap missing by the manufacturer limited warranty.

For the refrigerant most warranty the work; not the refrigerant since the leak can pop up somewhere else in the line.
Oct 8, 2010
191 posts
44 upvotes
This sounds normal to me. The labour coverage is only if a part has to be replaced so that the time is covered and reimbursed by the manufacturer at a set rate to the technician. Similar to a car, filters and oil is not covered under warranties.

Generally most companies will charge $120 just to show up and a minimum charge of 3 hours even if it's 1 hour of work. If the service tech does not have the part in the truck, they will have to diagnose, bring the old part all the way back to the supplier, and then install the new part. If the damage is done by the customer, such as not replacing filters, leaking air conditioning coils onto heat exchangers, warranty is not honored.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10326 upvotes
Ottawa
Sounds normal to me too. Parts and labour are only to replace the failed part.
If it turns out you have a part that has failed and that causes the leak, then they will replace that part for "free". Diagnostics and service are extra.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
NEPEAN
Thanks for the replies. I guess I am not used to this kind of labor warranty. I will have to make sure I understand all major appliance warranties from now on. What is the exact phrase to look for? Like in-home warranty, diagnostic warranty?

BTW, this is a Goodman central air. Another thing I don't understand is why recharge the system when it was diagnosed with a low pressure? Isn't this a closed system where there must be a leak? With a slow leak, the same problem may return next summer, when the warranty expires?

Oh, the HVAC company said I have to pay for the warranty (if any applies) first. When the manufacturer send them a cheque, they will forward it to me. I am not sure if this is standard practice as well?
Oct 8, 2010
191 posts
44 upvotes
What model did you install? Sometimes the leak can come from the actual unit if it was the builder grade. If they reused the copper refrigerant lines from the previous installation or worst, the coil then that might be your answer. Most likely the same problem will come back 1-2 years later.

In regards to the warranty transaction, it sounds like they are broke and can't front the money. Why else would they go through the extra trouble and book keeping if they're just going to give you back the money? They must be afraid that the manufacturer will decline the claim.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36185 posts
10326 upvotes
Ottawa
david16 wrote: Thanks for the replies. I guess I am not used to this kind of labor warranty. I will have to make sure I understand all major appliance warranties from now on. What is the exact phrase to look for? Like in-home warranty, diagnostic warranty?

BTW, this is a Goodman central air. Another thing I don't understand is why recharge the system when it was diagnosed with a low pressure? Isn't this a closed system where there must be a leak? With a slow leak, the same problem may return next summer, when the warranty expires?

Oh, the HVAC company said I have to pay for the warranty (if any applies) first. When the manufacturer send them a cheque, they will forward it to me. I am not sure if this is standard practice as well?
This is what a parts and labor warranty is. They pay for the removal and installation of the faulty part. There is no "special" clause or line in the warranty. rarely will there be a service plan included in the warranty unless it comes form the installer of the unit.
Recharging brings it back up to the required pressures. Leaks can occur form just uses. There are fittings that could possible leak a bit and after a few years, the pressure drops. Yes, it could happen again next year. Welcome to home ownership....something always needs repairs or maintenance.
I would get rid of that HVAC repair company. Clearly they are not a licensed retailer of your unit. If the work is done under warranty, then the repair guys get paid directly by the company. Do not pay them and hope you get reimbursed.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1308 upvotes
Mississauga
david16 wrote: Thanks for the replies. I guess I am not used to this kind of labor warranty. I will have to make sure I understand all major appliance warranties from now on. What is the exact phrase to look for? Like in-home warranty, diagnostic warranty?

This is the the only warranty book I could find on their website but it should be similar for the last few years. The way they interchange labour, parts, workmanship and material is a little hard to follow.
http://www.goodmanmfg.com/docs/librarie ... f?sfvrsn=0

This says Goodman will install only the replacement part (taking care of workmanship or material for the specific part).
What Problems Does This Warranty Cover?
This warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship that appear under normal use and maintenance.

What Will Goodman Do To Correct Problems?
Goodman will furnish a replacement part, without charge for the part only, to replace any part that is found to be defective due to workmanship or materials under normal use and maintenance.
Furnishing of the replacement part is Goodman’s only responsibility under this warranty and the furnishing of the replacement part is the owner’s only remedy.
THE OWNER AGREES THAT THESE REMEDIES ARE THE OWNER’S EXCLUSIVE REMEDIES FOR BREACH OF ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
Labour to diagnose an issue that might be warranty related falls under this category
What Won’t Goodman Do To Correct Problems?
Goodman will not pay for:
· Labor, freight, or any other cost associated with the service, repair, or operation of the unit.
· Electricity or fuel costs, or increases in electricity or fuel costs, for any reason, including additional or unusual use of supplemental electric heat.
· Lodging or transportation charges.
· Refrigerant