Home & Garden

Central dual energy heat pump in Québec: is Hydro Quebec's DT rate à better deal than an ultra cold system?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2022 8:34 am
May 5, 2011
49 posts
26 upvotes

Central dual energy heat pump in Québec: is Hydro Quebec's DT rate à better deal than an ultra cold system?

Hello.

Im in a detached house in Montreal with a gas fired furnace and a 25 heat old heat pump that isn't working properly anymore. The furnace is a recent 70,000 BTU Lennox that we plan to keep. Model g61mp-36b-070.

But here in Quebec I'm faced with a very interesting decision. Normally heat pump shoppers decide between cheaper units that have to switch to backup at - 10C or so vs expensive units that heat till - 20c or even lower.

But hydro Québec and the gas distributor Enigir have teamed up to offer an interesting alternative. It's the DT rate where we pay 4.5 cents per kWh instead of 6.5 cents, but in return the rate jumps to 26 cents when the temperature is below - 12C. You also get a thermostat that auto switches to gas at that temperature.

The goal being to reduce electricity consumption during the coldest days.

An effect of this is there's no advantage of getting a more expensive ultra cold heat pump.

À downside though is you're still using gas occasionally, which is a concern both if you care about your emissions but also you retain more exposure to gas prices. Another downside is on the cold days your non heat electricity consumption starts costing you more. (in theory made up by saving in the rest of the year)

Has anyone run the numbers on this? Is getting the DT rate with a cheap heat pump make sense vs spending money on a high end unit and using the normal r 6.5 cent rate?

I have not yet talked to any companies, I expect they'll have ways to help make the decision, but I was hoping other people might have some answers.
1 reply
Oct 23, 2005
266 posts
20 upvotes
Saint-lambert
Hi

Just made the swtich a few months ago. Regular rate is more like 9,5c per kwh which changes to 4.5c per kwh most of the year and 26c per kw when temps is below -12 with dual fuel program.

If you sign a 10yr contract for dual fuel and get a new heat pump from an eligible list (ie cold climate) you also get a 5500$ rebate wich for me sealed to deal to replace my ac with an heat pump.

I have no made detailed calculations but I figure I will be several thousands ahead after 10 years.

As usual with those rebates you have to make sure your heat pump is eligible and it takes months to process. Hope it helps

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)