Central vac for new construction house

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2016 12:18 pm
[OP]
Oct 11, 2007
339 posts
38 upvotes

Central vac for new construction house

The builder for our new construction house can put central vac rough ins for us.
We never had the system before so don't have much experience with it.
Looking for some tips on what we should make sure we do, any tips are greatly appreciated!

So far we've been thinking to have 1 rough in per floor for the hoses and 1 kick plate near the entry door.
Do we need 220V or is 120V OK?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1028 posts
514 upvotes
ottawa
We have 120V in our house and the suction is great. We have 1 rough in per floor, with a kickplate in the kitchen (I'd go for the kitchen over the front door!).

I think it's great, the main hose is long enough to reach everywhere on each floor, and we have a couple attachments to get in tight spots, clean fabrics/couches, regular wide floor one, etc. The tank in the basement is large enough and very easy to clean, unclip, dump, and put back. Reason I say the kickplate in the kitchen is because there's so many crumbs that land there, and I'm not sure about you but I hate having those crumbs on the bottom of my feet.
Mar 3, 2013
516 posts
261 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
condor11 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 9:53 am
The builder for our new construction house can put central vac rough ins for us.
We never had the system before so don't have much experience with it.
Looking for some tips on what we should make sure we do, any tips are greatly appreciated!

So far we've been thinking to have 1 rough in per floor for the hoses and 1 kick plate near the entry door.
Do we need 220V or is 120V OK?
You should probably have a vac sweep in the kitchen, I dont see the point of one near the front door. A 120V outlet next to the vac outlet is fairly common to power the motor head of the vacuum.
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
263 upvotes
Toronto
Kickplate in the kitchen and the front door if the front area.
One in the garage for vacuuming out the car.

As for location it depends on the house some floors could need more than 1.