[Centre HIFI] Mission 10-Inch Subwoofer $279.99

Free Purolator delivery.
$499 at BB https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/mi ... k/14931125
10 replies
Mar 6, 2006
723 posts
540 upvotes
GTA
Wondering if this sub complements well the system from another thread. Any input will be appreciated.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1420 posts
1033 upvotes
Montreal
For one your DAC don't have the RCA type connector for sub. I guess you could buy and 3.5mm to one RCA cable.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4138 posts
2665 upvotes
35 Hz isn't very impressive, but might be as good as it gets for $280 although I'm sure at the $500+ MSRP, this thing could be put to shame rather easily. Not much in the way of reviews it seems and Mission isn't really known for their subwoofers but that doesn't mean that it isn't good necessarily.

For an extra $20, the Klipsch R-100SW goes a little lower, is well reviewed, and has a 5 year warranty rather than the 2 year Mission warranty.
Feb 6, 2019
95 posts
68 upvotes
Thanks OP, I have been eyeing this sub and this deal is hard to beat, bought one! I am a big fan of English speakers and have had Mission speakers in the past. I have the 'sister' sub from Wharfedale and have been very happy with it.

I agree that the Klipsch is a worthy competitor in this price range, but a big difference is that the Mission is a sealed box vs. a ported box for the Klipsch. Simply a matter of personal preference, but I prefer sealed. Pros and cons to both, but something to consider.
Jul 20, 2016
290 posts
194 upvotes
Ontario
I’m wondering if this is a worthy addition to the twin Polk a7 setup I have.
Jun 1, 2007
477 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Bought one from BB and it arrived dead.
Not saying it's an indication of anything in particular, but I have decided to return and not repurchase this model.
Apr 18, 2008
573 posts
1043 upvotes
BC
Farles70 wrote: Thanks OP, I have been eyeing this sub and this deal is hard to beat, bought one! I am a big fan of English speakers and have had Mission speakers in the past. I have the 'sister' sub from Wharfedale and have been very happy with it.

I agree that the Klipsch is a worthy competitor in this price range, but a big difference is that the Mission is a sealed box vs. a ported box for the Klipsch. Simply a matter of personal preference, but I prefer sealed. Pros and cons to both, but something to consider.
What're the pros and cons? Would sealed be better in a smaller/shared space? (condo livingroom?)
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4138 posts
2665 upvotes
MandomRix wrote: What're the pros and cons? Would sealed be better in a smaller/shared space? (condo livingroom?)
Generally, sealed subs are thought to be tighter and better for music while ported is better for shaking the walls with explosions for movies and whatnot. Sealed subs are usually smaller too.
Last edited by SizzleChest on Dec 3rd, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2019
95 posts
68 upvotes
MandomRix wrote: What're the pros and cons? Would sealed be better in a smaller/shared space? (condo livingroom?)
In my experience, sealed subs are easier to place, ported subs are more fussy with room placement. Sealed subs bass response rolls off more slowly, which means deeper bass, albeit at lower levels. Sealed subs respond better to equalizing for this reason. Ported subs are more efficient, so need less power to play louder. I have found that sealed subs are easier to integrate with your main speakers.

These are generalizations though, it is more complicated than that.

Hmm, with a smaller/shared space it would depend more on where you place it, as well as phase (which you can select on the sub). Even moving them a couple of feet here or there can make a big difference. Sealed subs are a little easier to work with.

I hope that helps you out, I don't think there is a simple answer, sorry!
Apr 18, 2008
573 posts
1043 upvotes
BC
Farles70 wrote: I hope that helps you out, I don't think there is a simple answer, sorry!
It does help, thanks! Anything to keep the condo neighbours from killing me. A sealed sub and an SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System(old RFD deal) might do it.