Can anyone recommend a good place?

Thx!
7 replies
Dec 13, 2008
164 posts
107 upvotes
Hamilton
Try Nu-finish with Graphene.
DIY as it is very easy to apply and buff to a shine. It can be used on any surface, as well no white residue.

I did two applications which improved the finish. Washing is a breeze now.
Mar 23, 2009
931 posts
293 upvotes
Halifax
gibson00 wrote: Can anyone recommend a good place?

Thx!
Hooked on detail or Innovative Detailing, both in Dartmouth. Typically with coatings, you need a polish for scratch free surface.
Oct 19, 2008
368 posts
480 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hooked on Detailing is where we had our car done. Paul has become the go-to place in the city.
Dec 27, 2017
410 posts
162 upvotes
TOMSEVEN wrote: Try Nu-finish with Graphene.
DIY as it is very easy to apply and buff to a shine. It can be used on any surface, as well no white residue.

Is the Nu Finish product similar to Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramix Wax spray-on? Or is it more durable, but more involved application? Seems like both are spray-on products and can be applied wet or dry.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32357 posts
14001 upvotes
TOMSEVEN wrote: Try Nu-finish with Graphene.

That doesn't really answer the question, it's saying "do this instead of the service you want to have done" which I get is much cheaper but it's also not nearly the same, esp. if you're just washing a car and applying a wax and doing nothing else.

You can DIY real coatings easily just the same, it just takes a little bit more care, attention, and time. However the prep work is the real thing to worry about, which I assume OP is not equipped for or prepared to do--the reason detailing places can charge $800, $1000, (and more) for these services is because with one person DIY they are like 2-3 day jobs... Jobs that most people don't want to do even if they care about their car enough to detail it and have it protected with a coating.

If you have more than one person--a kid or a spouse as a helper, one can cut the DIY time down significantly, I'd imagine. However more than likely your wife wants nothing to do with it (and probably doesn't want you "wasting the time" either) and kid is too busy social-media-ing anyway :lol:
Dec 27, 2017
410 posts
162 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: That doesn't really answer the question, it's saying "do this instead of the service you want to have done" which I get is much cheaper but it's also not nearly the same, esp. if you're just washing a car and applying a wax and doing nothing else.

You can DIY real coatings easily just the same, it just takes a little bit more care, attention, and time. However the prep work is the real thing to worry about, which I assume OP is not equipped for or prepared to do--the reason detailing places can charge $800, $1000, (and more) for these services is because with one person DIY they are like 2-3 day jobs... Jobs that most people don't want to do even if they care about their car enough to detail it and have it protected with a coating.

If you have more than one person--a kid or a spouse as a helper, one can cut the DIY time down significantly, I'd imagine. However more than likely your wife wants nothing to do with it (and probably doesn't want you "wasting the time" either) and kid is too busy social-media-ing anyway :lol:
Very true words!

I wonder if these coating services are really geared towards protecting new(ish) cars. Because, to your point, a ceramic coating will cover everything underneath including any imperfections. So, it is key to get them sorted first and do the prep work, which is very hard on an older car. This would mean addressing dents, dings, chips, rust specks, scratches etc. and then cleaning up (decontaminate) all the panels to prepare them for the coating.
I think that's why spray-on products that last only a few months are attractive to someone not willing/unable to do or (get done) the proper prep work since the spray-on is just shining up what's there and leaving all the imperfections in place. I think it's the same thing with wraps. Wrapping car with a body in poor state may hide the scratches, but won't hide dents, dings, chips and those rust specks will just get worse underneath.

Do I have that right?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2346 posts
3090 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Ceramic coat is only as good as the prep. If you aren't getting the car clayed, paint corrected, polished, then waxed don't waste your time with ceramic coat.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)