Boxing Day 2020 Discussion

Ceramic Non-stick Pans (GreenPAN or other good brands)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2020 10:29 pm
[OP]
Nov 16, 2020
43 posts
10 upvotes

Ceramic Non-stick Pans (GreenPAN or other good brands)

I'm looking for good deals/recommendations for Ceramic Non-stick Pans. I've been doing some research and it seems that GreenPAN is really good. I'd welcome any other good brands that fellow RFDers can recommend. And I would also appreciate your reviews/inputs, as well as where you purchased it from. I don't really see GreenPAN anywhere except for Amazon and Crate and Barrel. Hoping to find a good boxing day deal if possible.

Thanks!
6 replies
Oct 28, 2011
132 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't used Greenspan specifically, but I did get a Henckels ceramic pan. Worst decision ever. I wouldn't consider it non stick, even with a lot of added fats. My wife got so frustrated with it she went out and got a The Rock pan. It's decent, prob 90% of the performance of Teflon. We've had it for the entirety of the pandemic with pretty regular use for eggs, and while the non stick performance has lessened a bit, it's still far and away better than the ceramic pan.

Alternatively, I use a cast iron pan that I've seasoned and worked in to the point that it's non stick. The wife doesn't love it due to it's weight, but it's fantastic for it's versatility of use. The Rock pan is still only meant to be used to med-high heat, vs. the cast iron is useable for high heat steak searing or deep fry and high heat for BBQ pizza.

Just my 2 cents.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2020
43 posts
10 upvotes
toRFDer wrote: Alternatively, I use a cast iron pan that I've seasoned and worked in to the point that it's non stick.
How long did it take you to get the cast iron to the point of non stick? I would like to get a good cast iron pan, but I'm not ready for that just yet. The ceramic pan will be for frying eggs. I did have the 6inch starfrit the rock pan (PTFE non sitck i think?), but it developed a layer of grease on it after a few months and I couldn't get it off :-(
Oct 28, 2011
132 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
One2free wrote: How long did it take you to get the cast iron to the point of non stick? I would like to get a good cast iron pan, but I'm not ready for that just yet. The ceramic pan will be for frying eggs. I did have the 6inch starfrit the rock pan (PTFE non sitck i think?), but it developed a layer of grease on it after a few months and I couldn't get it off :-(
Depends on how often you use it. When I got it new, the first thing I did was a couple of rounds in the oven seasoning it with flax seed oil. That prob sped it up a bit. All and all, prob about a month. There is a bit of a learning curve on how to season it (the least amount absolutely possible, the better) and how/when to clean. Still worth it in my opinion.

If eggs is your main thing, I'd say stick to inexpensive Teflon and expect to replace it every year. If you're diligent with going no higher than medium and babying it with the cleaning and which utensil you use it could last a bit more. Costco has a 2 pack of TFal that's pretty cheap and occasionally goes on sale.

How'd you develop a layer of grease on the Rock pan?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3322 posts
2182 upvotes
GTA
After burning through many (both cheap and expensive) non-stick pans, i've converted to cast iron as well. A little dab of oil and I can cook eggs in it without issue.

A carbon steel pan would be even better as it's lighter.
Oct 28, 2011
132 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
N8Magic wrote: After burning through many (both cheap and expensive) non-stick pans, i've converted to cast iron as well. A little dab of oil and I can cook eggs in it without issue.

A carbon steel pan would be even better as it's lighter.
I initially had a carbon steel, for the same reasons. It eventually developed a wobble somehow, so I ended up going to cast iron.

I didn't have the carbon steel as long as I've had the cast iron, but my inexperienced feeling was that it was also harder to season.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2020
43 posts
10 upvotes
toRFDer wrote: Depends on how often you use it. When I got it new, the first thing I did was a couple of rounds in the oven seasoning it with flax seed oil. That prob sped it up a bit. All and all, prob about a month. There is a bit of a learning curve on how to season it (the least amount absolutely possible, the better) and how/when to clean. Still worth it in my opinion.

If eggs is your main thing, I'd say stick to inexpensive Teflon and expect to replace it every year. If you're diligent with going no higher than medium and babying it with the cleaning and which utensil you use it could last a bit more. Costco has a 2 pack of TFal that's pretty cheap and occasionally goes on sale.

How'd you develop a layer of grease on the Rock pan?
i have no idea. it was the sides of the pan that built up the grease. the bottom of the pan was fine and could still fry eggs without sticking, but since the pan was white/cream colour, the yellow grease build up became really unsightly, i just had to get rid of it. I couldn't rub it off no matter how I tried:-(

i usually fry my eggs on just above medium and use silicone spatulas. I'll check out Costco for their pans. Thank you!