Off Topic

Certain single use plastics may be banned by end-2021

[OP]
Apr 29, 2018
833 posts
478 upvotes
Vancouver

Certain single use plastics may be banned by end-2021

This ban makes no sense to me. They are proposing to ban the things that are useful to the common person, like plastic bags, utensils, straws, etc, but the main polluters can still continue like nothing happened.

Plastic packing & snack food wrappers made by companies such as PepsiCo, Coca Cola, Unilever, Mondelez, Nestle, etc are all exempt from this ban. Like what??? 80% of the plastic comes from like a handful of companies and they are not liable at all. Just us suckers citizens.

UPDATE: New documentary claims that most plastic ends up in the landfill and the green recyclable logo on plastics was just a marketing ploy - https://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/the-pa ... -1.5735618
Last edited by kramer1 on Oct 9th, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14290 posts
1167 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: This ban makes no sense to me. They are proposing to ban the things that are useful to the common person, like plastic bags, utensils, straws, etc, but the main polluters can still continue like nothing happened.

Plastic packing & snack food wrappers made by companies such as PepsiCo, Coca Cola, Unilever, Mondelez, Nestle, etc are all exempt from this ban. Like what??? 80% of the plastic comes from like a handful of companies and they are not liable at all. Just us suckers citizens.
All of these have really good alternatives and you have to start somewhere. I agree, the plastic packaging you mention should also be dealt with, but it’s easier IMHO to target the things they are starting with.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25045 posts
4242 upvotes
Ojam wrote: All of these have really good alternatives and you have to start somewhere. I agree, the plastic packaging you mention should also be dealt with, but it’s easier IMHO to target the things they are starting with.
True, but when did the easy way ever solve any complex problems? It just comes across as virtue signalling without actually doing any good. The government always targets private citizens but leaves corporations alone.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4344 posts
378 upvotes
Shaner wrote: True, but when did the easy way ever solve any complex problems? It just comes across as virtue signalling without actually doing any good. The government always targets private citizens but leaves corporations alone.
In a few interviews I watched earlier on, the environment minister said they'll be starting to charge manufacturers for the plastics they use. No reason to think it'll be any different than other countries, but it'll mean less plastic waste since manufacturers will not want to pay for the recycling (unlike how pay for it now like garbage collection/taxes) and transition over to something reusable or biodegradable.

So no, private citizens aren't being targeted. Polluter (manufacturer) should be the ones paying for going nuts with wrapping everything up in plastics.

While I would've liked to have seen a more items included in the initial list, it's a first step. About time and overdue, but at least this is starting.
Dec 1, 2015
427 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IceBlueShoes wrote: In a few interviews I watched earlier on, the environment minister said they'll be starting to charge manufacturers for the plastics they use. No reason to think it'll be any different than other countries, but it'll mean less plastic waste since manufacturers will not want to pay for the recycling (unlike how pay for it now like garbage collection/taxes) and transition over to something reusable or biodegradable.

So no, private citizens aren't being targeted. Polluter (manufacturer) should be the ones paying for going nuts with wrapping everything up in plastics.

While I would've liked to have seen a more items included in the initial list, it's a first step. About time and overdue, but at least this is starting.
Won't the manufacturer simply pass the cost along to the customer?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9538 posts
4118 upvotes
Toronto
Chopsticks still ok Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19065 posts
2025 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Will they ban produce bags as well? I love getting a few of those and using them for my organics.
May 29, 2012
235 posts
52 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Aren't you supposed to put those plastic bottles, wrappers to recycle bins? It is the shopping bags, utensils, straws, take out foam box that need a sustainable solution.
kramer1 wrote: This ban makes no sense to me. They are proposing to ban the things that are useful to the common person, like plastic bags, utensils, straws, etc, but the main polluters can still continue like nothing happened.

Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1950 posts
1872 upvotes
Ojam wrote: All of these have really good alternatives and you have to start somewhere. I agree, the plastic packaging you mention should also be dealt with, but it’s easier IMHO to target the things they are starting with.
What alternatives are there to plastic bag for throwing out garbage?
Nov 28, 2019
274 posts
118 upvotes

Makes no sense to me either on so many levels and total virtue singling what the left likes to do and no real solutions.

With plastic bags, I never could understand this argument of "the bags are single use". For me and everyone I know they always been used at least twice. Once for groceries and then once as a garbage bag. Once they ban plastic bags well guess what I got to go back to the big garbage bags what are alot thicker and larger so now I am using even more plastic and now I am truly at single use.

They should be giving incentives to companies to make bio degradable bags and straws instead of just an out right ban that will get replaced shitty paper bags and straws that break easily or change the taste of what your drinking.

Then they should tackle recycling, as it is a joke and I personally don't care that much anymore about it (I still do it, we even have soft plastic recycling) but so much what you recycle just ends up in the land fill anyways, I was so shocked when we had a garbage company come to our complex and they basically said if 1% of the bin is contaminated all of it thrown out. So basically you could have a whole bin of say cardboard, but 1 person throws 1 pizza box in there and since of the oil from the pizza box might contaminated some of the other cardboard, well the entire load gets thrown out and their motto "is if in doubt throw it out". What I think is a horrible motto as we should be at place where if something that should not be recycled is accidently put in a bin everything else should not be just thrown out.

The worst thing I hate is this "banning" of everything, I love how the government can so easily ban plastic bags and straws but still can't ban cigarettes? I guess that would mean they would have an actual fight on their hands and greenies who are so vocal do not seem to care about all the damage those cause and are too busy to go after a straw.

Can't wait till everyone is screaming about cloth bags and paper bags again as before paper bags were destroying the earth and plastic bags were the solution. Now cloth bags are the solution though many of those bags never even get close to amount of times needed to break even and as covid pointed out these bags can carry diseases and such as no one every washes the bags.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30720 posts
1613 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Time to stock up and feed the plastic black market.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19233 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto
Dreamrider wrote: https://thebigstorypodcast.ca/2020/10/0 ... recycling/

TLDR, Plastics aren't recyclable but big oil and chemical companies are funding recycling programs to make you think you are not harming the environment, thus you use more plastic and they sell more plastic.
Yep. Recycling was a scam to sell more plastic: https://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/the-pa ... -1.5735618

Metals can be easily recycled. Plastics, not so much. Less than 10% of the plastic we send for recycling has ever been recycled.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
2064 posts
950 upvotes
Montreal
Dreamrider wrote: https://thebigstorypodcast.ca/2020/10/0 ... recycling/

TLDR, Plastics aren't recyclable but big oil and chemical companies are funding recycling programs to make you think you are not harming the environment, thus you use more plastic and they sell more plastic.

I only see a bunch of Coke and Pepsi products.

The moral of the story is, if you have a lobbyist representing your agenda, you can get away with it.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4344 posts
378 upvotes
Reepicheep wrote: Won't the manufacturer simply pass the cost along to the customer?
Perhaps, but it's going to be that much. In any case, things need to change.
I mean in the case of cutlery, it's not that hard to carry around a set of reusable ones. The ones you get at most fast food places now simply suck to be totally honest.
Supercooled wrote: Will they ban produce bags as well? I love getting a few of those and using them for my organics.
Biodegradable ones already exist. The small supermarket I usually go has had these for well over a year now.
I don't see how loblaws/sobeys, etc. wouldn't also be able to gradually change over.