• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 11:07 pm
[OP]
Apr 18, 2010
107 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto-Central

Certified pre owned vehicle

Anyone bought certified pre owned vehicle from Honda or any other company?
If anyone could share their experience. Much appreciated.
Thinking of buying like 2018-2019 Honda Civic coupe certified pre owned. I know they extend the warranty and stuff but what does it actually cover.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
CPO typically are vehicles that have a safety performed and carry the original warranty. Unlikely there is an extended oem warranty and if there is an extension, it's normally a 3rd party like lubrico and it's like pulling teeth to get any work done/covered. There would also be a max $ you can claim over the warranty terms.

CPO means sold by a dealer of that manufacture. It's a fancy term to increase the price. Maybe they replaced the brakes, tires, etc...
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Jul 6, 2020
9 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Most CPO programs in Canada don't actually extend the original warranties of the vehicle, but you're paying for the "piece of mind" from their inspection and you do get preferred finance rates. There are a number of CPOs out there that started their life as a lease, so take that however you may.

No matter what brand or dealer you choose to buy from, always treat CPO cars as if you were buying a used car from a private seller.

That means go over the car with a fine-tooth comb (within reason obviously) and get a PPI done with a trusted mechanic.

I bought a CPO Lexus (a CPO Lexus for crying out loud!!!) a few months ago from a dealer that had supposed good reviews online so I thought I didn't have to worry about all that, and it's been a nightmare dealing with issues that keep popping up.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2269 posts
2960 upvotes
Honda calls theirs the Honda Certified Used Vehicle Plan (CUV Plan). Bought a 2018 CR-V that was "CUV".

The main thing Honda provides is an extension of the powertrain warranty to 7yrs- 160000km. The rest of the warranty is only whatever remains from the original purchase.

Due to the "oil dilution" issues on the 1.5l turbo engines - there is also an extension of the engine warranty covering "misfires and/or camshaft noise" to 6 years/unlimited km; if the vehicle was brought in for the updates as part of the "N60/N55" campaign; which it would have to get the CUV Plan.

Since nothing has gone wrong with the vehicle since I've had it for 9 months, I can't really say what "experience" is like.

Also, has things of dubious value:
- 100 point inspection (and whatever service history they have),
- 7 day/1000km exchange privilege
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1447 posts
955 upvotes
Toronto
stayingfade wrote: Anyone bought certified pre owned vehicle from Honda or any other company?
If anyone could share their experience. Much appreciated.
Thinking of buying like 2018-2019 Honda Civic coupe certified pre owned. I know they extend the warranty and stuff but what does it actually cover.
All CPO is good for is factory extended warranty and attractive finance rates. You will be paying a premium for that. Other than that its no different from any other used car lot.

Do not trust their 100 point inspection or anything else and spend the 150$ to bring the car to your mechanic to look at before purchase.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7140 posts
171 upvotes
Nepean
I had two CPO cars (BMW, Audi), any problem within the warranty and extended period the dealership took care of it without question in regards of how much it cost.
Dec 14, 2012
115 posts
59 upvotes
Ottawa
Ditto for me (Audi). I was pleased with the program and would buy from it again. As others have said though, it’s not a reason to forego your own inspection. There are minimum standards to be admitted as cpo (eg brakes a certain %) and if it’s 1% over the minimum, they won’t change them.

Also the cpo’s usually cover you nationally which is nice if you travel (during normal times might I add).

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2030 posts
1300 upvotes
Durham
TenzoR wrote: I had two CPO cars (BMW, Audi), any problem within the warranty and extended period the dealership took care of it without question in regards of how much it cost.
Yup, BMW CPO offers direct BMW manufacturer warranty (not 3rd party) for 3yrs/unlimited mileage over the original warranty, if any left (or less depending what you want to pay). This was on a 2016 with 64,000kms and original warranty was expired. They offered the 3yr/unlimited mileage for $6,000 which to me was worth it.
[OP]
Apr 18, 2010
107 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto-Central
Thanks for the reply.

Car noob here. What is “oil dilution” I keep hearing about? I’m assuming the civic coupe 2020 is having this problem ? If that’s the case maybe I’ll just go for a civic.
Also in terms of getting your own mechanic to inspect. Does any recommendations?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2269 posts
2960 upvotes
stayingfade wrote: Thanks for the reply.

Car noob here. What is “oil dilution” I keep hearing about? I’m assuming the civic coupe 2020 is having this problem ? If that’s the case maybe I’ll just go for a civic.
Also in terms of getting your own mechanic to inspect. Does any recommendations?
Here's one of many articles on the Honda oil-dilution issue. How serious and widespread the problem actually is, is unverifiable.

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda ... on-problem

Many gas direct injection engines will suffer from this problem to some extent, because (particularly when cold) the fuel is injected as a fine liquid spray into the combustion chamber and may not vapourize quickly enough - resulting in condensation on the cylinder walls and ultimately into the crankcase and oil. Modern high-compression turbo-charged engines are amazingly efficient, perhaps too much so, and don't warm quickly enough to evaporate off enough of the gasoline that makes it way into the crankcase; cold-weather/short-trips worsen the issue. Eventually the crankcase can get overfilled to the point where it may lead to misfires and the smell of gasoline. That high compression is what is supposed to vapourize fuel even at low temps, but it also does a good job of pushing unburned fuel past the rings.

The cause, extent, fixes are all highly debated. So far, I've had no problem with my CR-V.
Aug 13, 2017
222 posts
237 upvotes
one23four5 wrote: Most CPO programs in Canada don't actually extend the original warranties of the vehicle, but you're paying for the "piece of mind" from their inspection and you do get preferred finance rates. There are a number of CPOs out there that started their life as a lease, so take that however you may.

No matter what brand or dealer you choose to buy from, always treat CPO cars as if you were buying a used car from a private seller.

That means go over the car with a fine-tooth comb (within reason obviously) and get a PPI done with a trusted mechanic.

I bought a CPO Lexus (a CPO Lexus for crying out loud!!!) a few months ago from a dealer that had supposed good reviews online so I thought I didn't have to worry about all that, and it's been a nightmare dealing with issues that keep popping up.
Could you confirm what dealer and the model of Lexus?
I too am looking at CPO Lexus ES. I have heard good things about them. Just wondering about your experience?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)