Home & Garden

Chain Link Fence: driven posts vs cement

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2021 6:39 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2009
605 posts
418 upvotes
Ottawa

Chain Link Fence: driven posts vs cement

I’m getting quotes for a chainlink fence about 5ft high. I’ve been getting some quotes and all but one contractor uses cement for posts. One contractor drives posts (pounding system) and claims that cement tends to shift and crack with temperature changes . They drive/pound posts 4ft into the ground.

Anyone have any info on this? Cement be ponded/drive. Posts for chainlink fence

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
1624 posts
730 upvotes
Ontario
Whats your soil like? Is is dense/clay or loose etc?
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2009
605 posts
418 upvotes
Ottawa
IcarusLSC wrote: Whats your soil like? Is is dense/clay or loose etc?
I’m not really sure - If it’s loose then better with cement?

Isn’t cement better under any scenario? The quote that came back with driven posts was cheaper than the rest but seems the price difference is due to not using cement posts
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8822 upvotes
Toronto
TBH, I've never seen a chain link with cement posts. My backyard has lots of clay material.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 5, 2003
2385 posts
338 upvotes
North York
WGretzky wrote: I’m not really sure - If it’s loose then better with cement?

Isn’t cement better under any scenario? The quote that came back with driven posts was cheaper than the rest but seems the price difference is due to not using cement posts
I think it will really depend on your soil. Cemented posts are more likely to see frost heave. If they are installing them deep, I'd think a driven post will last longer, as you aren't disturbing the native soil. I'd ask them on how they treat corner/gate posts as they will be subject to additional forces.

Wire farm fencing and highway guard rails are typically driven, and they last years without moving.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2009
605 posts
418 upvotes
Ottawa
cliff wrote: I think it will really depend on your soil. Cemented posts are more likely to see frost heave. If they are installing them deep, I'd think a driven post will last longer, as you aren't disturbing the native soil. I'd ask them on how they treat corner/gate posts as they will be subject to additional forces.

Wire farm fencing and highway guard rails are typically driven, and they last years without moving.
Thanks - for driven posts - they will pound 4ft deep
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 2, 2012
3643 posts
2594 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Is this for a pool enclosure? In my jurisdiction, which follows the OBC, chain link posts for that purpose need to be in concrete (although my inspector seemed indifferent about it)
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2009
605 posts
418 upvotes
Ottawa
MrFrugal1 wrote: Is this for a pool enclosure? In my jurisdiction, which follows the OBC, chain link posts for that purpose need to be in concrete (although my inspector seemed indifferent about it)
No it’s not for a pool - just a fence to separate yards. Thx for the reply

Top