Food & Drink

Which chains will not be around after COVID restrictions are lifted?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2020 12:38 pm

Poll: What chains will not survive COVID-19?

• Total votes: 43. You have voted on this poll.
Bourbon St. Grill

12%
Bubble tea

14%
Chuck's Roadhouse

14%
David's Tea

16%
Laura Secord

12%
Mary Brown's

2%
Nando's

2%
Osmow's

2%
Second Cup

16%
Timothy's World Coffee

9%
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4487 posts
3998 upvotes

Which chains will not be around after COVID restrictions are lifted?

In the Shopping Discussion board there's a long-running poll and thread about retailers that will go bankrupt soon. COVID-19 probably hastens the death of the "weakest links" and also threatens a whole different set of retailers that probably would be fine if not for the mass closures of retail overall (my best example of that would be Lush):

retailer-canada-will-go-bankrupt-next-2331742/

Here's my list of 10 food-related chains that I don't think will survive this. I focused on chains that have few locations, were already failing, or rely solely on mall traffic (i.e. don't have standalone stores that can offer drive-thru/curbside pickup). Interesting that Chick-Fil-A's Yorkdale location stays open for takeout despite most of the mall being closed... so I think they'll be fine.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
57 replies
Apr 16, 2007
402 posts
626 upvotes
Northern Ontario
Is there a chain called "Bubble Tea"?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1223 posts
1233 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
I focused on chains that have few locations, were already failing, or rely solely on mall traffic (i.e. don't have standalone stores that can offer drive-thru/curbside pickup).
Where are you getting your information that some of these chains are already failing, have few locations or rely on mall traffic?

At a glance, at least half that list I would disagree with and say don't meet any of your criteria. Unless you are privy to some financial information that the rest of us dont have?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9290 posts
10837 upvotes
Vancouver
In Vancouver, Second Cup is on life support, and quite literally—one of its remaining two locations is located inside a hospital.

Timothy’s, Osmow’s, Mary Brown’s, Chuck’s...never heard of any of these. They must be located in some far distant part of the country haha
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4487 posts
3998 upvotes
cope wrote: Is there a chain called "Bubble Tea"?
Too many that all serve the same shit they might as well be one chain. The 90's craze that should have gone away in... 1999.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5788 posts
2912 upvotes
Mississauga
Kiraly wrote: Timothy’s, Osmow’s, Mary Brown’s, Chuck’s...never heard of any of these. They must be located in some far distant part of the country haha
Well, OP’s name does have “EastGTA” in it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43709 posts
6938 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Too many that all serve the same shit they might as well be one chain. The 90's craze that should have gone away in... 1999.
Its not a craze.

Its actually a tradition thats thousands of years old.

Tea drinking (with bubble tea being a modern variation of it) has existed since 2732bc (about 5000 years ago). It could be argued that bubble tea is a modern iteration of it.

Its a practice that is social and communal in nature.
It brings people together for both fun & socialiZation.
Although these are more like dessert concoctions... the underlying tea is the main ingredient which has many antioxidants.

What you think is just a craze or fad... is really just an extension of a tradition that has been practiced for 5000 years.

I know you just have a personal thing against it (more like pet peeve). I just wanted to educate you on one perspective of it that you probably havent looked into...

In the world of food and drink... food/drink has its significance it many ways that round up the entire experience.

Bubble tea is actually incredibly diverse.

-choice of tea leaves. This has a huge bearing on the taste of the final product.

-techniques in tapioca making. Made in house at many chains.

-the design of the drink (flavors must match in order to be pleasing to the palette)

Also the ambience of where its served. Like i propose before... bubble tea is really just an extension of a 5000 year old tradition.
People in ancient china congregated in tea houses. Modern times... people congregated at bubble teA establishments. The modern tea house so to speak.

Socialization and community are pillars and backbones of our very humanity... which i’m sure you all realize that much more clearly during this covid-19 crisis that has isolAted us all.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2269 posts
2940 upvotes
OP forgot:

Starbucks
Subway
Beef patties
Pizza
Poutine
Swiss Chalet
Chocolate
Church's Chicken
Water
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16201 posts
3566 upvotes
Toronto
13inches wrote: OP forgot:
Church's Chicken
If you know something we don't...please DO speak up!!! lol

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4487 posts
3998 upvotes
13inches wrote: OP forgot:

Starbucks
Subway
Beef patties
Pizza
Poutine
Swiss Chalet
Chocolate
Church's Chicken
Water
Uh, I actually enjoy all of those things (yes, even Swiss Chalet once in awhile - festive special!)
I will give credit to you and @playnicee1 for picking Church's Chicken. They don't have a lot of locations up here as it is so this could kill them off in Canada. Few locations + trying to compete with KFC and Popeyes, not a good place to be.

Starbucks won't survive? Good luck with that.... and Swiss Chalet is safe. I could see some other weaker Recipe Unlimited banners disappear, but not their flagships (Chalet and Harvey's).
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4487 posts
3998 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Its not a craze.
I would argue that TEA in general is not a craze but BUBBLE TEA specifically is. There's a difference and I disagree with your lumping them together.

I'm married to an American who absolutely hates coffee. So yes we drink our fair share of tea both hot (all kinds; sencha, genmaicha, Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Typhoo, herbal...) and iced (only Luzianne bags bought in the USA will do) in this house.

What you will never see us buy is bubble tea. Tried it once, thought "the kids go apeshit for this stuff? those tapioca balls are gross... I don't get it...". We've never had it since.

Coffee is not a craze either. Starbucks and its copycats adding all sorts of flavored syrups and excess cream to them so you're drinking liquid candy, that's another craze that I'm no fan of either as it is so far removed from the traditional coffee as served in the middle east, Italy etc. Give me coffee black or a double shot. That's coffee to me.
Dec 8, 2015
264 posts
131 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I would argue that TEA in general is not a craze but BUBBLE TEA specifically is. There's a difference and I disagree with your lumping them together.

I'm married to an American who absolutely hates coffee. So yes we drink our fair share of tea both hot (all kinds; sencha, genmaicha, Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Typhoo, herbal...) and iced (only Luzianne bags bought in the USA will do) in this house.

What you will never see us buy is bubble tea. Tried it once, thought "the kids go apeshit for this stuff? those tapioca balls are gross... I don't get it...". We've never had it since.

Coffee is not a craze either. Starbucks and its copycats adding all sorts of flavored syrups and excess cream to them so you're drinking liquid candy, that's another craze that I'm no fan of either as it is so far removed from the traditional coffee as served in the middle east, Italy etc. Give me coffee black or a double shot. That's coffee to me.
Never got that craze either. Tea good, bubble tea gross.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43709 posts
6938 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I would argue that TEA in general is not a craze but BUBBLE TEA specifically is. There's a difference and I disagree with your lumping them together.

I see a bias here.
You did the same blanket statement of Vietnamese cuisine as if an entire nations cuisine is a fad like pet rocks.

Things evolve. Including tea. Its a modern iteration of it. Notice how it appeals to mostly east Asians... there is a cultural significance to gathering over tea.

Example.
White people in the 70’s went to disco’s and drank domestic beers and drank tequila.

Now they go to resto-lounges with loud music while drinking craft brews & artisan cocktails. “Smokey with a hint of Fig”.

Hey prior to that.. they went to ye olde tavern. Get drunk with the selection of one beer or 1 spirit they have in a big barrel.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4487 posts
3998 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I see a bias here.
You did the same blanket statement of Vietnamese cuisine as if an entire nations cuisine is a fad like pet rocks.
Me dismissing bubble tea and liquid candy coffee drinks as "crazes" does NOT mean I'm dismissing tea and coffee as crazes. Quite the opposite actually. The only "bias" is that I am against stupid crazes that ruin the experience of the original. Tea and coffee are great beverages with history on their side. Bubble tea and caramel praline maple pumpkin spice latte, not so much.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1463 posts
1603 upvotes
Toronto
jemjem9 wrote: Never got that craze either. Tea good, bubble tea gross.
+1

Don't mind a cold flavored tea now and then but HOLD those bubbles.