• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2022 2:02 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
296 posts
39 upvotes
EAST YORK

Chamberlain BELT / CHAIN Garage Opener

Currently I have chain garage opener but now current garage opener is not working due to some sensor issue and bad contact. I bought old one in 2014. Now I am looking new garage opener BELT. i found the following Belt garage opener is Lowes. Is this good?

https://www.lowes.ca/product/garage-doo ... -up-695205

I have also found the CHAIN garage opener
https://www.rona.ca/en/product/chamberl ... c-07645032

Any advise on these two?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5936 posts
2676 upvotes
Durham
what are the reviews on theit site?

Google the model number and read more reviews

Then you should be able to make up your mind
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9600 posts
3929 upvotes
OP

You want us decide and read the reviews for you?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1784 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
The Lowes unit looks to be a 1.25HP BELT DRIVEN model versus the Rona unit looks to be a 0.5HP CHAIN DRIVE.

I haven't reveived as I'm not in the market myself, however with more power plus quieter operation I tend to like the Lowes unit. They both seem to have MyQ built in so no change there, for me I dont really want or need that feature myself but respect those that do. The Lowes is also less expensive...its the one I would choose out of the two products.

Personally next garage door opener for me is a direct drive, side mount unit similar to this one...its more expensive but a cleaner look and install. I've been waiting for years now for the day my current Chamberlain belt drive unit dies till I get the side mount direct drive unit....think it might take another 10 years (maybe longer haha) before I can pull the trigger haha.

https://www.amazon.ca/Chamberlain-RJO20 ... 3344&psc=1
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Jul 29, 2006
430 posts
585 upvotes
Ottawa
Get the Lowes model. That's a great price. I have the same from a few years back and it works well but doesn't have the battery backup which is kind of nice for the rare times you may need it.
Nov 18, 2021
50 posts
30 upvotes
How is the MyQ app/feature? Mixed reviews of the app in the iOS App store, but would like to hear any personal experiences from users here.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3638 posts
2117 upvotes
Woodbridge
Option from Lowes is an excellent choice and value BUT there is none available anywhere from the past one month. You will realize it only once you try to check out.
Chain-driven models are noisier in comparison to belt-driven so keep that in mind.
DD option mentioned by @Ballroomblitz1 seems to be enticing if your budget allows. I will look into this model myself when the time comes.
shakilhyd wrote: Currently I have chain garage opener but now current garage opener is not working due to some sensor issue and bad contact. I bought old one in 2014. Now I am looking new garage opener BELT. i found the following Belt garage opener is Lowes. Is this good?

https://www.lowes.ca/product/garage-doo ... -up-695205

I have also found the CHAIN garage opener
https://www.rona.ca/en/product/chamberl ... c-07645032

Any advise on these two?
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3638 posts
2117 upvotes
Woodbridge
MyQ has worked flawlessly for me for past 8+ years. I can't imagine GDO without it anymore. Very convenient. Easy to open/ close garage door from anywhere if you have to provide access to anyone while not at home. I also get notifications immediately when garage door is opened / closed.
ilikerfd21 wrote: How is the MyQ app/feature? Mixed reviews of the app in the iOS App store, but would like to hear any personal experiences from users here.
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1784 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
newlyborn wrote: Option from Lowes is an excellent choice and value BUT there is none available anywhere from the past one month. You will realize it only once you try to check out.
Chain-driven models are noisier in comparison to belt-driven so keep that in mind.
DD option mentioned by @Ballroomblitz1 seems to be enticing if your budget allows. I will look into this model myself when the time comes.
What i like about the Direct Drive model is it clears up space on the ceiling, won't have the motor hanging down and will just look better. The Direct Drive unit only take a bit of space beside the garage door, and with no chain or belt truly is whisper quiet.

Back to the two models shown, one is a 1.25HP unit the other a 0.5HP unit from my view, so shouldn't it be a no brainer get the higher output model. The 0.5HP unit might be good for an aluminum garage door that's very light, the 1.25HP unit on the other hand is much stronger well suited for heavier doors fully insulated and solid. A beefier motor that isn't worked hard is better in my mind than a less HP motor which is overworked for the task. Not saying in this particular instance that the motor will be overworked, just saying garage doors can be heavy and i prefer a higher output motor to easily handle it.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
296 posts
39 upvotes
EAST YORK
newlyborn wrote: Option from Lowes is an excellent choice and value BUT there is none available anywhere from the past one month. You will realize it only once you try to check out.
I don't know why " Chamberlain 1.25-HP Whisper Drive Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with Built-in Wi-Fi and Battery Back-Up " is out of stock now from everywhere. Not sure what new version is coming. it should have some stocks in any store but suddenly out of stocks from everywhere. OR stores have in warehouse but not showing stocks on website. Any business strategy?

I have double garage. What HP should I consider if i look another brand/model.
Mar 22, 2007
201 posts
165 upvotes
Westmount
I have two 0.75 HP belt drive garage door by chamberlain for each of my single garage doors. They are a bit slow IMO but very quiet. I would think anything less than 1.25 for a single double door would not be strong enough to move it. The myQ app is very nice as it notifies me the moment someone opens and closes the garage door. Integration to google assistant is not very useful IMO. No apple homekit integration out of the box.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)