Careers

Are Chambers of Commerce valid or just self-congratulatory?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2015 9:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes

Are Chambers of Commerce valid or just self-congratulatory?

I was looking at my local Chamber of Commerce today as they look to award themselves for innovation, 'Business of the year' and other wonderful prizes, and I can't help but wonder if it's all just a big circle jerk.

It looks like just about every business in my city has nominated itself for some award or another. This looks like a gala for business leaders to strut around and tell everyone else how awesome they have profited on the backs of people who aren't invited.

I know this sounds cynical of me, but is there anything redeeming about this, or is it as phony as it looks?
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16730 posts
2408 upvotes
It's friends recognizing friends - still takes effort to win. Jealous? Join and see if you can score some prizes.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3088 posts
327 upvotes
Mississauga
These organizations are great for networking i find.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes
olek86 wrote: These organizations are great for networking i find.
coolspot wrote: It's friends recognizing friends - still takes effort to win. Jealous? Join and see if you can score some prizes.
I would feel better if the people nominating and awarding recognition weren't embroiled in personal bias and conflicts of interest.

I am not a business owner so no I am not jealous.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Dec 25, 2013
128 posts
12 upvotes
Burnaby
I worked for one before and it's a great place to network in any field. They have all types of people there, but mainly small business owners.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes
TodayHello wrote: Still complaining about the system Syne? Figured you would have collected enough insight on how the system works by now to try and take advantage of it.
That would make me a pretty big sellout wouldn't it?

Jun 3, 2012
621 posts
250 upvotes
Scarborough
They make money off of these types of award events...you pay to attend the award dinner and/or you pay to apply for the awards.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes
Why not just have a giant trophy made, and award it to yourself?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)