• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2020 9:44 am
[OP]
Jan 13, 2006
115 posts
35 upvotes
Coquitlam

Change light switch location

I hope that I will word this correctly but we are in the process of renovating our kitchen and living room which involved removing a dividing wall that contained a wall switch for our kitchen table fixture.
We have a crawl space so the wire coming up to the switch was disconnected and pulled down and capped.
The wire going up to the fixture was pulled up but must be pinned to the ceiling joists so was cut.
When I removed the ceiling fixture there are two separate wiring cables coming to the box and when I check for power there’s a live circuit.
Now my question, rather than cut into the ceiling and wall on the opposite side of the kitchen where the new switch should go , I’ve set up a smart bulb that I will put back in the old fixture as power is there, but can I also install a smart wall switch powered by another power ( outlet) on the wall where this new switch will be installed? I know I can control the light via google app without a switch but I want a physical switch as well
7 replies
[OP]
Jan 13, 2006
115 posts
35 upvotes
Coquitlam
The bulb I bought is from Costco (Globe brand)
[OP]
Jan 13, 2006
115 posts
35 upvotes
Coquitlam
The spot I want to mount the switch is easily accessible (with available power supply) but if a battery powered wifi switch is possible that would be great too
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5249 posts
5387 upvotes
Vancouver
Mr Roboto wrote: The bulb I bought is from Costco (Globe brand)
That would be a WiFi bulb using Tuya Smart Life internet service for control (the Globe app is just a rebadged version).

With smart home automation you can potentially link any smart switch to any smart bulb, but there may be some lag, like a second or so if you are lucky, You could reduce the lag by using local in-home automation instead of going through a remote internet service. For that you would need to flash new firmware in your bulb using something like Tasmota (don't update the firmware version of your bulb, or user reflashing with Tasmota might be disabled). And you would need an in-home automation system like SmartThings or Home Assistant.

If you don't want the complication, it might be best to get rid of the Globe bulb and buy a complete switch+bulb+hub set from Philips Hue or Ikea Tradfri.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12441 posts
7032 upvotes
Brampton
I would never trust a smart home device for anything that will need to be permanent. One day they will turnoff those servers and that's it.

If you're doing a Reno. Personally I'd just cut the wall and do what you need to do.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2006
115 posts
35 upvotes
Coquitlam
tebore wrote: I would never trust a smart home device for anything that will need to be permanent. One day they will turnoff those servers and that's it.

If you're doing a Reno. Personally I'd just cut the wall and do what you need to do.
You are definitely on the ball with that info, but this is going to be temporary.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1757 posts
1209 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: I would never trust a smart home device for anything that will need to be permanent. One day they will turnoff those servers and that's it.

Actually, in the case of Hue bulb + remote the solution IS permanent if all you need is a physical switch. A hub is not required, not even internet is needed so there's no dependency on their servers at all. The remote communicates directly with the bulb wirelessly.

BUT if you are want to control it with your phone then you'll need the hub.