Shopping Discussion

Change At Loblaws Chain Wide?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2019 6:40 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8967 posts
3319 upvotes
I don't know about RCSS but the way they lay things out on a Zehrs tape (all these department headings; if they have to do qty x price they will show you the math, etc.) a Zehrs tape is twice as long as any other store.

If they just designed more compactly, they could save 50% in paper costs across that chain.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9060 posts
2652 upvotes
London
My local Freshco has doubled-sided receipts, which I found kinda neat.

I've never been given the option to get my receipt emailed to me, but I would do it if they could.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1777 posts
1338 upvotes
I prefer the real paper receipts, not clogging my email inbox as I have enough.
Plus I always check the tally, prices, items etc for "errors". If any mistakes, I get them rectified before leaving the store(s).
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5757 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto
It's actually a good policy and not for trying to swindle customers out of not being able to make a return or keeping track of optimum points.....OR trying to save money out of paper roll supply costs.

I've heard there is an uprise of scams going on where the suspect will take those receipts that people paid cash. Those left behind receipts people littered their receipts at the front end, garbage or parking lot...go into the store, go back in, recover items from shelves then go to the return desk with the receipt and product like they just came back to return.

The store is likely trying to cut that scheme out as its difficult to track customers coming in and out to the CS desk. Best way to do this is to minimize receipts people leave behind.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7509 posts
810 upvotes
Waterloo
Princess auto does electonic receipts for years with ur phone number why hasn't companies adapted to this policy years ago would save tons of money lol
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18585 posts
6623 upvotes
Toronto
pootza wrote: I didn't contradict myself ... you can't comprehend what you are reading.
You write it not me
Dec 30, 2013
62 posts
76 upvotes
unclefester wrote: Made an early morning trip to my Real Canadian Super store today. Checked out by a gal I know who pointed out to me some new procedures she has to go through in processing her customers.

Among the changes -- from now on at my RCSS every customer will be asked if they want a receipt - they'll be given the option.

I suggested to her that Mr. G. Weston is looking to save paper (and money) - she agreed.

I'd NEVER leave a Loblaws branded store without my receipt. Far too many incidents & episodes with their PC Optimum points program to count. To be blunt not awarding points I'm rightly owed happens ALL the time.

Anyway wondering how this new "policy" is going to work out?
I'm a cashier at Loblaws.
We've had this since at least December. Most of my colleagues don't bother asking and just print out a receipt for every customer. We have too many things to ask about anyways.
lecale wrote: I'd like it if they would just email it to you like the SDM self checkouts can do.
If your PC Optimum Card is registered, we now have the option to do that!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8656 posts
1593 upvotes
No receipt = no returns = no scop = no price matches all around and thus = no problems for the retailer. Always get a receipt to keep them honest and your options open.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2174 posts
986 upvotes
Victoria
carmaster wrote: You write it not me
I just put that person on my ignore list. Easier than trying to engage...
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18585 posts
6623 upvotes
Toronto
MaxPower19 wrote: I just put that person on my ignore list. Easier than trying to engage...
Yup good idea
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
carmaster wrote: So I give them business and I have to ask for a receipt and a bag? What happened to customer service?
Receipts and bags are frills.

vkizzle wrote: Now, if they were printing 5' long receipts like CVS...
Now... I don't own a giant corporation with a thousand stores so I don't know how much paper costs by the truck load.
But if I gave out a 5' long receipt with every purchase, my daily cost of paper would be like $20.
Each roll is only like 230ft. I'd be able to serve 46 customers per roll. Every customer is getting like $0.02 worth of receipt.
No Frills wrote: It's actually a good policy and not for trying to swindle customers out of not being able to make a return or keeping track of optimum points.....OR trying to save money out of paper roll supply costs.

I've heard there is an uprise of scams going on where the suspect will take those receipts that people paid cash. Those left behind receipts people littered their receipts at the front end, garbage or parking lot...go into the store, go back in, recover items from shelves then go to the return desk with the receipt and product like they just came back to return.
I would honestly like to see the math on this to see if it's actually saving that much money vs annoying customers with the above problems.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8631 posts
2554 upvotes
Mississauga
I need a receipt. Too many problems not to have a receipt. (Similar at gas stations, I always need a receipt).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14575 posts
4714 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah, I can see that working out real well, and I don't trust their staff to not arrest me at the door as I try to leave with a cart-full of groceries and no receipt.
My last and final digital game I purchased at PSN from those Sony Devils was on November 22, 2020 - Ban that Sorny!
Feb 1, 2019
144 posts
42 upvotes
Loblaws saving money on receipts!! There's probably some hidden reason behind it all..Perhaps it's a way to discourage or inconvenience you "Customer" from returning items therefore they save more!! The RCSS started selling Nest cameras & Phillips Hue lights, etc, I was surprised (seeing a $260 item display card)
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1374 posts
1034 upvotes
British Columbia
The number of errors I've found on receipts as I walk out the door at RCSS is staggering. This translates to free items with SCOP. I would never leave without a receipt.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5757 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Receipts and bags are frills.

Now... I don't own a giant corporation with a thousand stores so I don't know how much paper costs by the truck load.
But if I gave out a 5' long receipt with every purchase, my daily cost of paper would be like $20.
Each roll is only like 230ft. I'd be able to serve 46 customers per roll. Every customer is getting like $0.02 worth of receipt.
I would honestly like to see the math on this to see if it's actually saving that much money vs annoying customers with the above problems.
I don't think it's about saving money, or calculating net + or -. There's a loophole in the return system that promotes theft based off of a fraction of the population that discards their receipts shortly after purchase, and this was the solution to eliminate the loophole that's becoming more common.

For those of us (like most RFD members) we keep receipts and just need to reply with "yes" to the question at checkout.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
60 posts
33 upvotes
receipt paper is bad for the environment!
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19223 posts
1709 upvotes
Every store and restaurant does this now.

If you're getting just milk and eggs, and you know the eggs are fine, then why do you want a receipt. It's just a waste of paper.

One statistic from a quick Google, "In the US, over 12.4 million trees and 13 billion gallons of water are consumed each year in the creation of paper receipts, generating 1.5 billion pounds of waste and 4 billion pounds of CO2". If we can cut that in half by stopping needless receipts, I am all for it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2664 posts
1332 upvotes
B.C.
sassysue wrote: Princess auto does electonic receipts for years with ur phone number why hasn't companies adapted to this policy years ago would save tons of money lol
What?!? I've never been given this option.
Karala wrote: The number of errors I've found on receipts as I walk out the door at RCSS is staggering. This translates to free items with SCOP. I would never leave without a receipt.
It has to be intentional! Same with posting their meat sales in the flyer as $per pound and only posting signs in the department as $per kg. I'm sure most people walk out of the store without sale price meat!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: What?!? I've never been given this option.
It's not a receipt per se because you can't easily get a copy of it, but they store your purchases linked to your phone number.
If you ever have to return something and you don't have a receipt, they can look you up.

It's the reason they're one of my top retailers because they actually stand behind what they sell and have easy access to returns assuming you use your phone number.