Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1272 posts
115 upvotes

Changing appliances when selling

What is the current trend towards if this should be done? The kitchen is dated and the appliances are older and white currently, so the agent suggested replacing the appliances for about $3500 and not redoing the kitchen to get the best return on investment. What are your thoughts? Thanks
23 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27508 posts
3976 upvotes
Montreal
No.

A significant number of buyers change the appliances themselves.

A better option, IMHO, would be to remove the appliances before the sale. My condo buyers forced me to remove the appliances I had. Kitchen remodel is one of the first things buyers often do.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2179 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote: No.

A significant number of buyers change the appliances themselves.
+1, as long as they got money left over from purchase of a property. Depending on personal preferences, somebody may want to have white appliances. Then, if you've dumped your white appliances and replaced them with SS, you've just lost money, and cost extra to the buyer, without giving them any benefit, since they may be switching back to white (if they choose to renovate the kitchen and keep it white.)

Personally, I would look at appliances condition, before I decide to dump them or keep them. As long as they're usable for my needs, I'd keep them. For instance, if appliances are all quality and only a few years old, and the proper size/type, I'd prefer to keep them. As opposed to have them replaced with entry-level cheap appliances, especially if it comes with quirks - like smaller fridge, louder fans with weaker suction on range hood, or inaccurate/improper installation of dishwasher with risks of leaking (which is a more likely case with fresh installs of cheap appliances).

Similarly, with kitchen cabinetry. Unless cabinets are in horrible condition (which may scare off potential buyers, and give them an idea of how badly you've been treating the house), I'd say just wash them or refinish them, instead of replacing.
mr_raider wrote: My condo buyers forced me to remove the appliances I had.
How did that happen? Unless you mean that they put a condition of purchase, that you will remove old appliances before closing date - I'm not sure if it's considered to be "forced".
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1272 posts
115 upvotes
Negotiator wrote: +1, as long as they got money left over from purchase of a property. Depending on personal preferences, somebody may want to have white appliances. Then, if you've dumped your white appliances and replaced them with SS, you've just lost money, and cost extra to the buyer, without giving them any benefit, since they may be switching back to white (if they choose to renovate the kitchen and keep it white.)

Personally, I would look at appliances condition, before I decide to dump them or keep them. As long as they're usable for my needs, I'd keep them. For instance, if appliances are all quality and only a few years old, and the proper size/type, I'd prefer to keep them. As opposed to have them replaced with entry-level cheap appliances, especially if it comes with quirks - like smaller fridge, louder fans with weaker suction on range hood, or inaccurate/improper installation of dishwasher with risks of leaking (which is a more likely case with fresh installs of cheap appliances).

How did that happen? Unless you mean that they put a condition of purchase, that you will remove old appliances before closing date - I'm not sure if it's considered to be "forced".
Thanks for the opinions. Appliances are 15 years old but work well and are in good condition, although very dated. They would go in the basement kitchen so they would still get them. Do many people still buy white appliances? All good points on the negatives of entry level/new ones.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2179 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
sunnyd71 wrote: Thanks for the opinions. Appliances are 15 years old but work well and are in good condition, although very dated. They would go in the basement kitchen so they would still get them. Do many people still buy white appliances? All good points on the negatives of entry level/new ones.
Again - it really depends on personal preferences. I think white by itself looks great, and is easier to clean (and gets fewer fingerprints), which may be more important for some people, than "space-age" looks of SS. White may also go better with certain kinds of kitchen cabinetry - and if somebody is going to renovate their kitchen certain way, SS just wouldn't fit there.

I'm not sure if appliances really make any difference when somebody buys a house. If you spend $3500 on new appliances, then raise your asking price by the same amount, and find a buyer who's willing to pay you this amount - most likely they would buy the house for this increased price even if you didn't change appliances. The buyer may simply be willing to pay for house location, overall house condition, and its floor plan. And appliances may not affect perceived value much, if at all.

As long as your appliances don't create a feeling of disgust :) , and don't create an impression that you're not taking good care of your house, I think it doesn't matter if you replace them.

But what do I know - I don't sell houses for a living :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7494 posts
4798 upvotes
Victoria, BC
sunnyd71 wrote: Thanks for the opinions. Appliances are 15 years old but work well and are in good condition, although very dated. They would go in the basement kitchen so they would still get them. Do many people still buy white appliances? All good points on the negatives of entry level/new ones.
For me personally, old white appliances are a huge turn off, so I would rather see something better in the kitchen. I would be subtracting the cost of new appliances from my offer.

I don't know where you live (I'm on my phone and it doesn't show), but here in Ottawa we recently replaced all our old white appliances at a used appliance store. I got a great deal on nice looking stainless appliances. The dishwasher and oven were brand new. All look great and work great. Cost for 5 appliances (washer and dryer too) was $3500 including tax and delivery and a 1 year warranty.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2179 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote: I would be subtracting the cost of new appliances from my offer.
What if the appliances are new, but NOT something that you would like as a buyer? If it's new, but it's white, and you want stainless steel? Or if it's new and the right size, but the wrong type? For instance, there's a single-door fridge with freezer on top, and you wanted a french-door, with freezer on bottom? Would you still substract cost of new appliances from your offer?
Also, most likely, if seller were to buy new appliances - they would add to the asking price at least as much as the cost of the appliances.

If seller doesn't replace appliances, and you're subtracting their cost from your offer, it still looks like a win-win. Otherwise, seller would've paid a certain amount to buy new appliances, deliver them, and install them. Plus, deal with the hassle and all the arrangements - which is probably nice to avoid, when there're so many other issues when selling the house.
And buyer gets to buy whatever they want, instead of whatever seller left them with.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46372 posts
9391 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Chickinvic wrote: For me personally, old white appliances are a huge turn off, so I would rather see something better in the kitchen. I would be subtracting the cost of new appliances from my offer.

I don't know where you live (I'm on my phone and it doesn't show), but here in Ottawa we recently replaced all our old white appliances at a used appliance store. I got a great deal on nice looking stainless appliances. The dishwasher and oven were brand new. All look great and work great. Cost for 5 appliances (washer and dryer too) was $3500 including tax and delivery and a 1 year warranty.
The worst is when they have wood trim and chrome knobs\handles!
At least all white is 90s/early 2000s... :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2002
2972 posts
648 upvotes
sunnyd71 wrote: What is the current trend towards if this should be done? The kitchen is dated and the appliances are older and white currently, so the agent suggested replacing the appliances for about $3500 and not redoing the kitchen to get the best return on investment. What are your thoughts? Thanks
The realtor will ALWAYS suggest things that will make HIS job easier. He is wrong, it does not mean you get a better ROI.
It helps your property sell quicker, not necessarily for more $.
If you need to sell quickly, then do the change. Otherwise leave it.
May 3, 2013
674 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
I think it really depends on the kitchen as well. If the kitchen is dated and the appliances will be SS, I think most buyers are thinking of renovations anyways and probably won't value the new appliances as much.

I doubt white appliances vs SS appliances will be a deal breaker (to most buyers), but it will certainly be reflected in the offer price.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3431 posts
646 upvotes
Allenford
My mom just sold and had redone her kitchen with new appliances right before. She had listed them as exclusions so the originally made an offer listing appliances to be included, my mom signed back higher and the buyer accepted, basically they paid $4500 for the appliances (my mom had originally planned to have them as part of the sale at the original asking price, so the realtors idea of listing them as exclusions for bargaining worked really in her favour). She was prepared to take them with her if she moved though, that was the only potential negative as the buyer could have said great, we don't need or like them.

For me (being outside GVR and GTA as no sense seems to apply there) a new fridge wouldn't mean anything to me, we have two fridges we would be brining with us so I'd either want the price a little lower and the fridge excluded, or included at no extra cos I'm going to have to sell it anyway.

A friend just bought a house with new SS appliances but she offered just below asking because she didn't want them. They ended up at asking with the appliances included (she was more than happy with paying asking but used the fact the appliances meant nothing to keep it there - again not in GTA), and then she sold them the day after closing and got the ones she wanted.

There is no harm in updating cheaply, but if the kitchen is looking at a major reno then chances are the appliances won't mean much. If your current white ones are spick and span (give them a really good clean) and in good working condition they will do someone till the reno. Or they might have their own to bring.

Is the basement kitchen a legal unit and does not currently have appliances? Or are they worse than the ones upstairs and the ones upstairs would be an upgrade?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1272 posts
115 upvotes
snow00774 wrote: My mom just sold and had redone her kitchen with new appliances right before. She had listed them as exclusions so the originally made an offer listing appliances to be included, my mom signed back higher and the buyer accepted, basically they paid $4500 for the appliances (my mom had originally planned to have them as part of the sale at the original asking price, so the realtors idea of listing them as exclusions for bargaining worked really in her favour). She was prepared to take them with her if she moved though, that was the only potential negative as the buyer could have said great, we don't need or like them.

For me (being outside GVR and GTA as no sense seems to apply there) a new fridge wouldn't mean anything to me, we have two fridges we would be brining with us so I'd either want the price a little lower and the fridge excluded, or included at no extra cos I'm going to have to sell it anyway.

A friend just bought a house with new SS appliances but she offered just below asking because she didn't want them. They ended up at asking with the appliances included (she was more than happy with paying asking but used the fact the appliances meant nothing to keep it there - again not in GTA), and then she sold them the day after closing and got the ones she wanted.

There is no harm in updating cheaply, but if the kitchen is looking at a major reno then chances are the appliances won't mean much. If your current white ones are spick and span (give them a really good clean) and in good working condition they will do someone till the reno. Or they might have their own to bring.

Is the basement kitchen a legal unit and does not currently have appliances? Or are they worse than the ones upstairs and the ones upstairs would be an upgrade?
Thank you everyone for the very detailed responses. It seems the consensus is that it does not matter much. The kitchen will likely need a reno soon (we were going to do it but instead decided to move) but the target for whose moving into this area may not have the money for this right away so the realtor's say they would appreciate appliances updated and included.

The basement kitchen has some very old appliances, 20+ years old but still work. These would be thrown out or left as a garage beer fridge. It's not set up as a rental unit, we have it as a large, open entertainment room.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1272 posts
115 upvotes
Here's a couple pictures. The dishwasher is even older than the other appliances. We never changed it as we don't use it.

Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12443 posts
8959 upvotes
Edmonton
Has the realtor discussed offering a credit of $3500 or so? That way, the buyer can get what they want. As someone who's recently been shopping around for a house, that would be my preference.

C
Aug 1, 2006
996 posts
87 upvotes
Let me tell you about another trend: Owners that have super-great and fairly new/modern kitchen appliances. And whom, on purpose, replace them with crap/used stuff bought from other people. And then selling the house with the crap. How's that about ethics? I personally found that very Canadian / being on the cheapskate side of things.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27508 posts
3976 upvotes
Montreal
sunnyd71 wrote: Here's a couple pictures. The dishwasher is even older than the other appliances. We never changed it as we don't use it.

Your kitchen is perfectly serviceable. As a shrewd buyer, I would look past the ugly appliances and see an opportunity for negotiation

Get the M&Ms off the fridge. Get the rags of the oven handle. Call it a day.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
429 upvotes
Concord, ON
You would get more than the cost of new appliances back in offer ...when I saw house that needed new appliances while buying a house...it was auto 10k deduction in my mind than if it didn't .

Don't cheap out on your appliances to lowest grade and you'll get it back easily
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
429 upvotes
Concord, ON
Throw 30k in reno to kitchen including appliances and easily get double that back
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1272 posts
115 upvotes
GrandePike wrote: Throw 30k in reno to kitchen including appliances and easily get double that back
Seems to be a lot of differing opinions here. The rest of the house is renovated and when it came to the kitchen, we decided to just move and not bother. We really did not want to put in the work as we feel we are just 'done' with this house. But I see the point, it makes sense.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1272 posts
115 upvotes
GrandePike wrote: You would get more than the cost of new appliances back in offer ...when I saw house that needed new appliances while buying a house...it was auto 10k deduction in my mind than if it didn't .

Don't cheap out on your appliances to lowest grade and you'll get it back easily
If you saw old appliances in an old kitchen like mine, you would subtract 10k in your mind vs the same kitchen with new appliances? A 4k discount vs spending 4k I'd be happy with but 10k is another story. lol

I never understood why it's become required to include appliances, I think they are just an item that should always be excluded but I guess we need to live within the norms. If you don't do it, people won't buy.