Careers

Changing job from London Ontario to Calgary?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2018 3:23 am
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
57 posts
6 upvotes

Changing job from London Ontario to Calgary?

Thinking of a chance to move forward with my career, I got an offer from an organization in Calgary, AB. It is a leadership position, offer: $100.2 K/y, the upper limit of the salary range of the position is $120K /y. Currently, I am working in London, Ontario, IT role, unionized, non-management position, $85 K/y; having been working for the company for about 5 years, no chance for being promoted or getting a raise as I have been red circled. More info about myself and my family:

My wife and I have no kids; both around 35 years old.

My wife works as a purchaser in London area, $40k per year. If we move to Calgary, she needs to look for a new job; not sure if she could get it easily. So our family income will be lower than that in London for a while if we move to AB. She applied for jobs in Calgary around the same time when I applied for this position. But no luck.

Bought a house in London 1.5 years ago.

Don't know if the salary raise,~20%,is good enough for this job switch from London to Calgary, given higher living expenses in Calgary. I searched online; it seems overall Calgary is about 20% more expensive than London, Ontario.

Not too sure of the economy/ job market in Calgary in the future; I heard it is not as good as before. (Neither I nor my wife is in oil/gas industry)

A leadership position is one of the major reasons for me to applied for the job in Calgary in the first place, as an important step for my career development.

Never lived in Calgary; heard of the weather is not as bad as people think. The winter is 'dry cold', better than the 'wet cold' in London, according to the HR lady.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks a lot.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
619 upvotes
DT Calgary
If your wife is ok with it, I'd do it!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33809 posts
7451 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you're keeping the house in London, you have to consider that as an extra expense. Even if you rent it out and it covers the mortgage. You still have to pay property taxes and repairs.

Alberta's economy will eventually recover. Calgary is a nice place, but you're making a move for $15k. Consider all your expenses and if you can cover the basics on one salary and have the support of your wife, then make the move.
Oct 12, 2016
309 posts
73 upvotes
Like Gee said, Alberta's economy will eventually recover. May be the oil prices will bounce back or the province will find something else to sustain them. They have excellent infrastructure in place in their big cities for the most part so that will help.
Jul 14, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
I'm in this exact same position right now.

Would asking for at least a 20% increase in salary justifiable for the move from London, ON to Calgary?

How much stock can we put on a site like Numbeo to be accurate about cost of living difference?
Feb 19, 2017
620 posts
367 upvotes
Artichoke1 wrote: I'm in this exact same position right now.

Would asking for at least a 20% increase in salary justifiable for the move from London, ON to Calgary?

How much stock can we put on a site like Numbeo to be accurate about cost of living difference?
-numbeo is pretty accurate from experience.

Ask for at LEAST 30-40%.
(1) cost of living adjustment
(2) Calgary should pay more for the same job. It's oil.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1425 posts
1244 upvotes
So after tax you are looking at like $7-8k bump in salary per year. Is this even worth it? How big is the company?
Sep 21, 2004
10721 posts
5268 upvotes
Calgary
ProductGuy wrote: So after tax you are looking at like $7-8k bump in salary per year. Is this even worth it? How big is the company?
City of Calgary?

To the OP, procurement/logistics pays pretty well (in fact the highest in Canada due to oil and gas). There was a lot of layoff in procurement in Oil & Gas sector in the last several years, but any logistics/procurement jobs in the city should start at $50k minimum.

I was once at a logistics class a couple years ago, and people were sneering at a entry job opportunity in a warehouse that started at $55k. As someone moved here from Ontario, I was shocked at how the locals treat $55k job like it's minimum wage. But anyway, to the OP, if your wife has lots of experience in purchasing, she won't have an issue finding a job in Calgary (don't just limit to oil and gasjobs of course).

Calgary is a great place to live, definitely more to do than London. It's close to the mountains and housing is very affordable compared to other big cities.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3038 posts
344 upvotes
Yeah, Calgary pays higher in every single job category. Your position looks good, and your wife shouldn't have any problem finding a job in supply chain...and as mentioned, 40K for a Purchaser is a joke.

Basically, any job with a few years of experience in the Calgary area will be 55K+, with most jobs starting at around 65K. Setting your goal at a 50K per year job for her is an easy one to fulfill. My company laughed as I seriously underbid them when I got hired on.

During salary discussions, I told them I wouldn't take less than $62,000, and the HR lady laughed and said "well, this is Calgary", and offered me 72K with profit sharing that will typically bump that past 80K (never missed that mark yet). I am just a document control person, so I would expect a pretty decent salary for your wife's role.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35185 posts
4322 upvotes
Winnipeg
b166er1337 wrote: City of Calgary?

To the OP, procurement/logistics pays pretty well (in fact the highest in Canada due to oil and gas). There was a lot of layoff in procurement in Oil & Gas sector in the last several years, but any logistics/procurement jobs in the city should start at $50k minimum.

I was once at a logistics class a couple years ago, and people were sneering at a entry job opportunity in a warehouse that started at $55k. As someone moved here from Ontario, I was shocked at how the locals treat $55k job like it's minimum wage. But anyway, to the OP, if your wife has lots of experience in purchasing, she won't have an issue finding a job in Calgary (don't just limit to oil and gasjobs of course).

Calgary is a great place to live, definitely more to do than London. It's close to the mountains and housing is very affordable compared to other big cities.
55k does sound like minimum wage in alberta, when i was over there, everyone was making $$$

op, calgary cost of living is not bad compared to other big cities such as toronto and vancouver, also pays a lot more on everything. also less taxes.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1793 posts
902 upvotes
Alberta
I would do it. I'm about same age as your, same profession, roughly same $$, and in Calgary. It may be hard for the wife to find a position, unemployment is pretty high in Calgary right now. If you got a job at the City, you should be pretty stable there, heard decent things about working for them. It's basically a government job so get good benefits and such. A starter home in the suburbs would be probably around 400k or so, and up from there. No bullshit fees here for car sales, no inspections and all that BS you guys have to deal with our in Ontario. GST is at 5%, and that's the only tax on goods here. So take all that into account. If you like skiing or snowboarding, lots of that here just a few hours away at most.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3038 posts
344 upvotes
divx wrote: 55k does sound like minimum wage in alberta, when i was over there, everyone was making $$$

op, calgary cost of living is not bad compared to other big cities such as toronto and vancouver, also pays a lot more on everything. also less taxes.
Another great benefit I enjoyed when I moved here. I am keeping an extra $2000 a year on the income tax savings alone.

Plus, the lack of PST allows you to save a ton on groceries and purchases. I came from 14% Manitoba to 5% Alberta...on $1300 a month in groceries, that's a savings of $120 a month off the cost of groceries (taxes only), which I found cost about the same as anywhere else.

The only thing expensive here is housing, but if you're coming from the GTA or GVA, you're laughing as it's still either the same or cheaper, with a much bigger paycheque. Gas is cheaper too.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
Can you ask for more? 15k difference is not remotely worth relocating for especially to Calgary which needs to pay a premium to makeup for the location to begin with

Are there no opportunities for growth in your field closer to home?

Do you like where you live? Do you like traveling?

But no way in hell if from purely financial perspective it's worth relocating for so little

Negotiate a relocation package and/or signing bonus and higher salary due to location
Last edited by TrafficEng on Mar 12th, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote: Another great benefit I enjoyed when I moved here. I am keeping an extra $2000 a year on the income tax savings alone.

Plus, the lack of PST allows you to save a ton on groceries and purchases. I came from 14% Manitoba to 5% Alberta...on $1300 a month in groceries, that's a savings of $120 a month off the cost of groceries (taxes only), which I found cost about the same as anywhere else.

The only thing expensive here is housing, but if you're coming from the GTA or GVA, you're laughing as it's still either the same or cheaper, with a much bigger paycheque. Gas is cheaper too.
There's no tax on groceries in Ontario
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3038 posts
344 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote: There's no tax on groceries in Ontario
I believe the tax exemption is for unprocessed groceries only. Chicken breast and apples are tax free, but if you buy mustard or kraft dinner I'm pretty sure you get taxed for that (I may be mistaken but I am almost positive that's how it works).

Either way; save a lot of money by not paying a PST on anything you buy...it adds up to a LOT.

PS. Did some research and that's basically how it is.
Basic Groceries
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
134 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote: I believe the tax exemption is for unprocessed groceries only. Chicken breast and apples are tax free, but if you buy mustard or kraft dinner I'm pretty sure you get taxed for that (I may be mistaken but I am almost positive that's how it works).

Either way; save a lot of money by not paying a PST on anything you buy...it adds up to a LOT.

PS. Did some research and that's basically how it is.
Basic Groceries
Nah...groceries are much more expensive in Calgary along with everything else except gas. I used to live in Calgary and everything is more expensive for daily essentials. Even basic fruits and vegetables are a lot more expensive. I'm guessing due to location and lack of population

I went back to Calgary for two weeks for work last year and was surprised the difference in prices were still so much at the stores.

Though I do not know if London where the OP is from has similar prices to GTA or its higher like I'm Calgary

I don't but kraft dinner or frozen pizzas much but I buy meats, pasta, rice fruits and veggies and all tax free . I guess the Hagen Daz and halo top isn't tax free though
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3038 posts
344 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote: Nah...groceries are much more expensive in Calgary along with everything else except gas. I used to live in Calgary and everything is more expensive for daily essentials. Even basic fruits and vegetables are a lot more expensive. I'm guessing due to location and lack of population

I went back to Calgary for two weeks for work last year and was surprised the difference in prices were still so much at the stores.

Though I do not know if London where the OP is from has similar prices to GTA or its higher like I'm Calgary

I don't but kraft dinner or frozen pizzas much but I buy meats, pasta, rice fruits and veggies and all tax free . I guess the Hagen Daz and halo top isn't tax free though
If you trust numbeo, it doesn't seem to be much of a difference. I don't buy much boxed foods either, though, and I haven't really noticed any big increase in food prices.

It costs an extra $600 in Calgary, compared to London, ON. The income tax savings alone far exceeds any small increase in the cost of living expense (which includes groceries).

Cost of Living Comparison

To me, this is the most important part of the comparison:
Local Purchasing Power in Calgary is 32.89% higher than in London
That is an absolute slam dunk. I earn an extra $25,000 net income in Calgary and my cost of living has gone up marginally, probably less than $2000 a year overall. If you can get a job in Calgary at market rate, then it's a no brainer. The only pull you would ever have to stay in the GTA is family and maybe ethnic restaurants (so I keep reading about the awesomeness of Toronto restaurants).
Jan 2, 2013
272 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Just curious how did you end up with a job in Calgary? Did you apply for that job or recruited through the company's HR?