[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5889 posts
2279 upvotes
Kanata

Changing window

Hi,

I want to change one of my window on my home for a slide in one. I am not sure what these are called.

It's a house, I have a window where you spin a knob and it opens wide.

I want to remove it and put in a window that slides up and down.

If possible, can you tell me what kind of windows I'm talking about, then I can google if it can be done or see if others have done it?

Thanks
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18958 posts
6131 upvotes
London
slider
Single hung = one pane slides open, the other is fixed

double hung = both panes can slide open
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5062 posts
1647 upvotes
Richmond Hill
casement is the one you have.

slider is the one you're looking for, as l69norm has indicated.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5889 posts
2279 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks guys!
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4740 posts
4235 upvotes
Toronto
No, slider is not what he's asking for.

A sliding (sometimes called gliding) window has panes that slide horizontally. Some have one pane that moves, some allow both panes to move (at the cost of having screen on the entire window vs 1/2). Sliding window panes can usually be removed easily for cleaning.

A single or double hung window has pane(s) that move vertically - up and down, which is what he is asking for. As described a double hung window allows the upper pane to be lowered which is handy in some situations. Also some hung windows allow the panes to be tilted inward for cleaning.

The window you have is a casement if it opens like a door.

An awning window hinges at the top and opens with either a crank or lever mechanism at the bottom. Handy for when its raining a bit as you can leave it open.

Casement and awning windows have screens on the inside while sliding and hung windows have screens on the outside. Large casement windows tend to fail as the pane is very heavy hanging on the hinges along one side.

I had 20 windows done in my 100+ year old brick home and used mostly double hung and some smaller casement and awnings, all A Series Andersen product and am very happy.

I used Storm River doors and windows. Ask for Don.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)