[Chapters Indigo] Kobo Libra Sale $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2020 10:01 pm
[OP]
Jul 16, 2009
22 posts
34 upvotes

[Chapters Indigo] Kobo Libra Sale $179.99

I've been waiting for a few months for this to go sale. $20 isn't much, but better than nothing I guess.
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 14th, 2020 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
38 replies
Dec 31, 2010
388 posts
417 upvotes
Montreal
10% cashback with Rakuten

Have a Libra and I love it. Would buy again
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6366 posts
190 upvotes
Etobicoke
I'm reading lots of user complaints about Overdrive not working correctly on Libra. Beware if you plan to borrow library books.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2008 posts
677 upvotes
Ottawa
spdecoste wrote: 10% cashback with Rakuten

Have a Libra and I love it. Would buy again
No. It's only 1% cashback on ereaders. I was tempted to purchase a Forma to replace my Aura One (battery is finally fading)
Last edited by pauldryan on Oct 12th, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
yadda, yadda, yadda
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3704 posts
3787 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a Libra, which I got for $150 from Staples with a $50 off coupon. Replaced my Kobo Aura HD, passed on to another family member.

I like the lighter weight and smaller size of the new form factor, but the battery life is significantly less than the heavier and bulkier Aura HD, maybe half. No more external microSD card slot, but that's fine, the internal memory is ample. The eInk screen sharpness and contrast hasn't really improved in a long time (in fact the Aura H2O had the best contrast, and the Libra isn't quite as good), but the screen response time is noticeably faster. Flipping the screen around with the auto-orientation is quick. This has the variable tone screen lighting, shading from blueish to yellowish, but I find it more gimmick than helpful.

Kobo has never really gotten the hand grip on their e-readers to feel fully comfortable and secure, and this model is unfortunately no exception. It has a textured rubbery back, but no indentation at all for finger grip, and with the unevenly balanced weight it can slip out of the hand easily if you don't grip it tightly. I had to put some tape bumps on the back to provide more grip. Earlier models did better on the grip indentations, but suffered from other defects like sharp corners digging into the hand, or shiny plastic back instead of textured surface.

The UI works fine. Kobo constantly fiddles with changes, but reading experience essentially remains the same, and I don't really care about the frills.

I consider the 7" screen size the minimum now, ever since I upgraded to the 7" Aura HD - I wouldn't go back to 6".
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17744 posts
1283 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Thanks! Ordered! Been waiting for this for a while.

Remember to use either Rakuten or airmilesshops.ca before you order from Indigo
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17744 posts
1283 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Scote64 wrote: I have a Libra, which I got for $150 from Staples with a $50 off coupon. Replaced my Kobo Aura HD, passed on to another family member.

I like the lighter weight and smaller size of the new form factor, but the battery life is significantly less than the heavier and bulkier Aura HD, maybe half. No more external microSD card slot, but that's fine, the internal memory is ample. The eInk screen sharpness and contrast hasn't really improved in a long time (in fact the Aura H2O had the best contrast, and the Libra isn't quite as good), but the screen response time is noticeably faster. Flipping the screen around with the auto-orientation is quick. This has the variable tone screen lighting, shading from blueish to yellowish, but I find it more gimmick than helpful.

Kobo has never really gotten the hand grip on their e-readers to feel fully comfortable and secure, and this model is unfortunately no exception. It has a textured rubbery back, but no indentation at all for finger grip, and with the unevenly balanced weight it can slip out of the hand easily if you don't grip it tightly. I had to put some tape bumps on the back to provide more grip. Earlier models did better on the grip indentations, but suffered from other defects like sharp corners digging into the hand, or shiny plastic back instead of textured surface.

The UI works fine. Kobo constantly fiddles with changes, but reading experience essentially remains the same, and I don't really care about the frills.

I consider the 7" screen size the minimum now, ever since I upgraded to the 7" Aura HD - I wouldn't go back to 6".
do you need a case for this or do you just go caseless?
Jan 14, 2013
184 posts
119 upvotes
Newmarket
Love my Libra but there is an issue with half the screen looking more blue than the other more yellow half. It’s noticeable but I got used to it. Actually swapped out my first Libra for a second one and the issue was still there.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3704 posts
3787 upvotes
Vancouver
konfusion666 wrote: do you need a case for this or do you just go caseless?
No case, it just gets in the way and makes the e-reader bulkier and heavier, which is the opposite of what you want for something that you are going to hold for a long time while reading. Kobo offers ridiculously overpriced custom covers for the Libra if you want one.

I use a protective slipcover when I'm throwing it in a carry bag or suitcase. I just happened to have one that exactly fits the Libra nearly-square form factor.
Aug 31, 2014
314 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So Libra >> Clara HD? Can’t decide!
Nov 3, 2018
33 posts
2 upvotes
Don't think 10% on Rakuten works on eReader, but guessing you can buy yourself a gift card that has 10% off for them and then use the gift card to buy the eReader
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17744 posts
1283 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Tsanger wrote: So Libra >> Clara HD? Can’t decide!
yes, thats why the MSRP is higher.

Libra has page turn buttons (physical buttons) and has a 7" screen vs. the 6" screen on the Clara HD
No case, it just gets in the way and makes the e-reader bulkier and heavier,
I think 90% of the time it'll be on my bed nightstand, especially during this pandemic when we are not really travelling anywhere

it looks like it's an all plastic design with no glass (unlike a phone) so even if it fell on the bedroom floor it probably shouldn't break...
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1374 posts
1114 upvotes
11sonic11 wrote: I've been waiting for a few months for this to go sale. $20 isn't much, but better than nothing I guess.
I think rakuten has 10% back today!

I see that it might exclude e-reader though
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2008 posts
677 upvotes
Ottawa
Sqcups wrote: Don't think 10% on Rakuten works on eReader, but guessing you can buy yourself a gift card that has 10% off for them and then use the gift card to buy the eReader
Be careful because Kobo gift cards cannot be used to purchase ereaders, just ebooks and audio books. This I learned the hard way, [...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Oct 12th, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: use bst
yadda, yadda, yadda