• May 16th, 2021 2:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1143 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto

Charging car battery without a wall outlet

Hi guys, I have my car parked in a garage with no access to electricity. I don't want to take the battery out of the car.

I'm looking for ideas to charge it periodically. Battery is 90AH. Ease of use and cost are a factor.

Thanks a lot.

Some more details to answer questions:
-I need a solution for longer than one year storage
-I can't remove the battery, but I'm already disconnecting the negative
-No power outlets nearby.
-I want to charge it every three months to top up the battery, and prevent sulfation.
Last edited by mawzi on May 13th, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
64 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30057 posts
16066 upvotes
Toronto

park it outside for a few hours and do this step a few days a week
Last edited by booblehead on May 12th, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 17, 2004
528 posts
189 upvotes
You can also disconnect the negative lead from the battery and leave the battery in place. I've been able to leave a car like this for about 6 months at a time but need to remember to charge it (start it) every 6 months or so.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4123 posts
1051 upvotes
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1143 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:

park it outside for a few hours and do this step a few days a week
Unfortunately it's indoors.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1163 posts
542 upvotes
Are you looking to trickle charge it constantly or do you want a battery booster for when the car battery is dead or low ? There are several jump starters that you can recharge in the house and then connect to your car battery. These are meant to be portable so once charged, they do not need to be connected to a power line. CAA uses something similar to jump start dead batteries. Canadian Tire, Autopro, and other stores should sell these. And Amz.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/best ... p-starter/
Last edited by vernonco on May 12th, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1143 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
v82slo wrote: You can also disconnect the negative lead from the battery and leave the battery in place. I've been able to leave a car like this for about 6 months at a time but need to remember to charge it (start it) every 6 months or so.
Yes, I've done that already, but it's been 7 month, and I need to keep it for another 7 months. Can't drive it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17194 posts
19092 upvotes
Oakville
If you can't take the battery out, then you'll have to take a battery to it, like this booster pack. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 1913p.html
Or once a month, park where there's electricity and use a battery charger. Disconnecting the battery will also prevent drain as mentioned already.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17194 posts
19092 upvotes
Oakville
I have a crazier idea. Start the car, plug in a 110 inverter, connect charger to inverter and charger to battery.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1143 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: I have a crazier idea. Start the car, plug in a 110 inverter, connect charger to inverter and charger to battery.

I've done that, but for some reason it's not working as expected. The battery I'm charging from is a 12V car battery 60AH. Not sure what the issue is.

Edit: This went right over my head. I was thinking about something else. I guess I didn't realize someone would waste their time writing a useless post like this.
Last edited by mawzi on May 13th, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5745 posts
3261 upvotes
Toronto
mawzi wrote: Yes, I've done that already, but it's been 7 month, and I need to keep it for another 7 months. Can't drive it.
My beater been disconnected over a year now with battery disconnected. Last time I started, checked and charged the battery was few months ago and started like a champ. Battery was 12.5v after a year of sitting neg cable disconnected and 18 yr old car had no problem starting.

If you are worry and if you lift bro, bring the whole battery inside your home/condo and charge it.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1666 upvotes
Clarington, ON
engineered wrote: I have a crazier idea. Start the car, plug in a 110 inverter, connect charger to inverter and charger to battery.

Yes
This.

Also consider this:
Images
  • 439C97FE-DAD5-4372-AE33-EB1C63D7E6A3.jpeg
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17922 posts
10657 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
v82slo wrote: You can also disconnect the negative lead from the battery and leave the battery in place. I've been able to leave a car like this for about 6 months at a time but need to remember to charge it (start it) every 6 months or so.
The self discharge rate for a car battery is approx 3% per month for a relatively new battery. The rate increases as the battery ages. At 3%, a fully charged battery will be at approx 84% (remember that's starting from FULL). An older battery will be much lower. While 84% seems OKAY, the battery is sulfating during this time (ie losing capacity which will become for most people a permanent loss of capacity) so the battery's capacity will be lower the next time you charge it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17922 posts
10657 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mawzi wrote: Unfortunately it's indoors.
Still might be possible... Solar panels will still work indoors but the output power will be lower depending on the type of light and the intensity. I remember using old solar powered calculators where similarly powered (at least to my eyes) intensity fluorescent lights was able to power the calculator but incandescent lights were not.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17922 posts
10657 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

mawzi wrote: I've done that, but for some reason it's not working as expected. The battery I'm charging from is a 12V car battery 60AH. Not sure what the issue is.
Too much of the power is wasted in the conversion from 12V to 120V back to 12V.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16749 posts
5305 upvotes
London
mawzi wrote: I've done that, but for some reason it's not working as expected. The battery I'm charging from is a 12V car battery 60AH. Not sure what the issue is.
Cause the car's engine (via the alternator) is already charging the battery at 14-15Vdc.

When you plug in the110Vac powered charger, it expects a voltage less than 12.8V on the battery. If it sees 14V+ on the battery, it thinks there's a problem and stops charging
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17194 posts
19092 upvotes
Oakville
craftsman wrote: Too much of the power is wasted in the conversion from 12V to 120V back to 12V.
That's just gas though. Probably a good idea to run a car anyways if it's sitting idle for a while. Personally I'd just keep the battery upstairs, and only bring it down to start the car occasionally and move it a bit to prevent the brakes from seizing.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17194 posts
19092 upvotes
Oakville
l69norm wrote: Cause the car's engine (via the alternator) is already charging the battery at 14-15Vdc.

When you plug in the110Vac powered charger, it expects a voltage less than 12.8V on the battery. If it sees 14V+ on the battery, it thinks there's a problem and stops charging
I think some modern cars don't always charge the battery though, to claim higher MPG.

Or OP can park a Tesla next to it and charge from it's built in inverter :P
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29748 posts
10470 upvotes
LOL please tell me you're just going along with the joke?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1792 posts
2229 upvotes
Barrie, ON
WTF am I reading in this thread? lol