Charging car battery without a wall outlet

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2021 2:02 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4007 posts
2868 upvotes
Kitchener
This seems more like a riddle. Frankly your best option is to disconnect battery, reconnect it every 3rd month, take the care for a 30 minute spin, then disconnect. That's the only real solution.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4247 posts
3081 upvotes
Montreal
Some of yall need to go yell at neighbor's kids on your lawn.

People live in condos and they need to keep their car charged if not used often, modern cars don't take well to have all memory wiped every drive, or they don't want to wrench under their hood in -10 and get hands all grease before every drive.
May 31, 2008
480 posts
869 upvotes
GTA area
As others have said, your options are very limited. Being indoors rules out using a solar panel which I've heard good things about if the right sized panels are used. Not having electricity close by further limits your options to removing your battery, which you say you don't want to do because of the weight and hassle.

I know it's been mentioned already, but is there any way you could run a long extension cord to a power outlet? Even underground garages will have outlets for maintenance purposes. Perhaps you could plug it in late at night and pass it behind the other park cars until it reaches the outlet. I think unless it crosses the path of other cars driving or people walking no one will really care, especially overnight. Unplug it early in the morning and problem solved. Doing this every day might cause an issue, but once every 3 months I can't see there being a problem.

Other than that the only other option is removing the battery. If weight is an issue you could always get a portable hand truck to bring the battery back to your condo.

Unless I'm missing something, I really don't think those booster packs would actually charge your battery. They are designed to give a short burst of power to help you start a car when the battery is low.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20758 posts
14237 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
billford wrote: Sorry, I don't think anybodys going to drive 20 hours for a battery charge.

The short trip retirees I mentioned sure don't, and they don't have any battery problems.
Most also replace their batteries every few years as well... The point is that the bulk charging done by high current only goes so far to charge the battery - ie to 80% or so. The part the is left undercharged/un-charged will sulfate gradually reducing the capacity of the battery so that original 80% left uncharged will become 70% then 60%... until the battery fails to hold a charge which is exactly what we are seeing now with COVID driving habits where there is a lot of people finding their battery empty after relatively short periods of time.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13361 posts
12125 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Most also replace their batteries every few years as well... The point is that the bulk charging done by high current only goes so far to charge the battery - ie to 80% or so. The part the is left undercharged/un-charged will sulfate gradually reducing the capacity of the battery so that original 80% left uncharged will become 70% then 60%... until the battery fails to hold a charge which is exactly what we are seeing now with COVID driving habits where there is a lot of people finding their battery empty after relatively short periods of time.
If people are not maintaining their battery fully charged periodically, they should get a Kirkland flooded battery from Costco with good warranty with 0-48 months - Free replacement, 49-66 months - 50% refund based on purchase price, 67-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.