• Dec 19th, 2022 11:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3801 posts
3187 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Charging Port repair Cost?

I have a OnePlus 8T and recently the charger port has become finicky... plug in the charger and I have to put it on the desk gently as if it moves even a smidge it stops charging. I'm assuming the port is screwed up. Many times I've plugged it in, woke up the next morning and it never charged.

Any thoughts?

I was just going to get one of these BF deals and get a new phone but it appears I missed the boat.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23567 posts
5725 upvotes
Toronto
if it is a soldering job you are looking for - perhaps you can ping @XtremeModder for an assist!

not sure if he does smartphones but if not, you can ping a local cell repair store - pretty sure they do it often as well...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Jul 17, 2010
348 posts
376 upvotes
Not worth the money. Get a new phone on Christmas.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12232 posts
3223 upvotes
--
Gibsons wrote: I have a OnePlus 8T and recently the charger port has become finicky... plug in the charger and I have to put it on the desk gently as if it moves even a smidge it stops charging. I'm assuming the port is screwed up. Many times I've plugged it in, woke up the next morning and it never charged.

Any thoughts?

I was just going to get one of these BF deals and get a new phone but it appears I missed the boat.
Tried a different cable?

Personally I hate working on phones but may start next year. Will have to invest a bit more in my business first
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3801 posts
3187 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Tried a different cable, same thing.

Might just get a new phone with Boxing Day sales.
Oct 27, 2021
237 posts
319 upvotes
Have you ensured the port is free of debris? Try taking a toothpick (not a needle or paperclip though) and gently move it around the port -- this may loosen up some lint and debris that may have been preventing a solid connection. You can also try compressed air.
Jan 4, 2011
26 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
Would probably cost you $60-$100 to get it done at a repair store. Problem is finding a store that would be able to get the port in stock.
Sep 7, 2010
258 posts
139 upvotes
T.Dot
not worth fixing....I didn't look but just use wireless charging until the device is truly broken and get a new one?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3811 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga
try a wireless charger pad if the port fails, it might get you over for a bit no? I was able to keep my phone charging if it had wireless charging this way until i was upgradable
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3811 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga
viettai wrote: Would probably cost you $60-$100 to get it done at a repair store. Problem is finding a store that would be able to get the port in stock.
On an S10+ I think I was quoted $300 from samsung for a fix in the port
Jan 4, 2011
26 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
I offered the OP but he doesn't seem interested. The S10+ is a bit trickier because the port replacement would require soldering but I could do that one too. I have a repair store in Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3801 posts
3187 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I'll be turfing the phone once Boxing Day Deals come along with free phones... not willing to spend money on an older phone.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
3811 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga
viettai wrote: I offered the OP but he doesn't seem interested. The S10+ is a bit trickier because the port replacement would require soldering but I could do that one too. I have a repair store in Toronto.
to old thou and it charges with a pad, so son is using it now.

off topic can u fix the front screen on a fold 3 if its got a scratch in it? i was planning to give it to a family member but dont want them to have to see the scratch first.
Jul 24, 2008
116 posts
24 upvotes
For a One Plus, do it yourself. Swapping USB kitnis the easiest of all repairs. Only have to remove back cover and swap .