Parenting & Family

Are charities required by law to cease personalized mail solicitations if so requested?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2021 11:54 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22789 posts
8890 upvotes
Socially Distanced

Are charities required by law to cease personalized mail solicitations if so requested?

An elderly acquaintance has been getting a very high volume of charity solicitations which i have been making calls to each one to cease. One particular religious charity repeatedly claims to have taken them off their mailing lists yet the mailings keep coming. They are a registered charity (though i have qualms with their "mission").

Any advice on what to do next?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7376 posts
1540 upvotes
Scarborough
I guess the elderly has been giving them money in the past ?

Hopefully your calling in puts it to a stop, use privacy act to tell them to stop.....
Dec 1, 2003
547 posts
181 upvotes
Ottawa
Any reputable charity should comply with your request.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2068 posts
1879 upvotes
Ottawa
Every charity I've called and asked to stop sending my this stuff has, so no recommendations from me.
Feb 27, 2011
221 posts
215 upvotes
Large(r) charities often have a staff member who is dedicated to "privacy" or "donor information", etc. Sometimes you can find these individuals with a keyword search on LinkedIn or Google.

I had a similar issue with a charity that kept calling me on the phone, despite repeated online requests to be removed from their contact lists. I found the contact info for the relevant "privacy officer" online and wrote her a direct email. She replied promptly, and problem solved.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2347 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
Charities share their donor lists with others, so once you give a donation to one, you get barraged with mail from many others. Asking one to remove you from their mailing list will remove you from theirs, but unfortunately not the others.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22789 posts
8890 upvotes
Socially Distanced
apnayloags wrote: I guess the elderly has been giving them money in the past ?

Hopefully your calling in puts it to a stop, use privacy act to tell them to stop.....
Yeah, donations were made from what i understand.
What in the privacy act compels them to stop?
crow wrote: Any reputable charity should comply with your request.
Dynatos wrote: Every charity I've called and asked to stop sending my this stuff has, so no recommendations from me.
Most of the other ones have stopped upon request, several are impossible to get a hold of a human.
Biff88 wrote: Charities share their donor lists with others, so once you give a donation to one, you get barraged with mail from many others. Asking one to remove you from their mailing list will remove you from theirs, but unfortunately not the others.
Indeed, almost 50 different charities called so far, some multiple times to get a human.
I have learned there is a Canadian Marketing Association which has names and addresses and has an opt out and can take out any that use its list.
https://thecma.ca/resources/consumer-ce ... print-mail

There are also lists that circulate and at least one charity embeds which list they got that name/address from in the solicitation letter they send.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6255 posts
3148 upvotes
Toronto
Is one issue perhaps that you are making this request, not the donor? It's possible that the charity may be ignoring the request (conveniently or otherwise) because they don't feel they are obligated to follow a request from someone asking to unsubscribe someone else unrelated.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22789 posts
8890 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Manatus wrote: Is one issue perhaps that you are making this request, not the donor? It's possible that the charity may be ignoring the request (conveniently or otherwise) because they don't feel they are obligated to follow a request from someone asking to unsubscribe someone else unrelated.
They claim they have taken the person off their list and "cannot explain" why mailings are still going out.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1355 posts
1067 upvotes
HAMILTON
there is no legal way of preventing charities from soliciting. Just throw them away.....
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22789 posts
8890 upvotes
Socially Distanced
luckystrike1 wrote: there is no legal way of preventing charities from soliciting.
Hence implying there is an illegal way Smiling Face With Open Mouth
/s
Just throw them away.....
Quentin5 is not the person who is getting the mailings.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5697 posts
1741 upvotes
0 downvotes
I been getting these letters from Jehovah witness, the prev owners might have been members, i got sick of them so i got one letter and put address does not exist - return to sender on the envelope and put a line thru the address and sent it back, after that no more letters from the Jehovah woot woot
Hi
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22789 posts
8890 upvotes
Socially Distanced
GoodFellaz wrote: I been getting these letters from Jehovah witness, the prev owners might have been members, i got sick of them so i got one letter and put address does not exist - return to sender on the envelope and put a line thru the address and sent it back, after that no more letters from the Jehovah woot woot
I'll trade [redacted] for Jehovahs witness mailings.
Dec 24, 2007
431 posts
700 upvotes
why do you have any qualms about posting the name of the charity? unless you are lying about this charity sending out mailers after being asked not to or misconstruing something, you are completely entitled to sharing the identity of the organization doing this.

if i found out an charitable organization i give money to was doing something like this i'd want to know it
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22789 posts
8890 upvotes
Socially Distanced
TrueToy wrote: why do you have any qualms about posting the name of the charity? unless you are lying about this charity sending out mailers after being asked not to or misconstruing something, you are completely entitled to sharing the identity of the organization doing this.

if i found out an charitable organization i give money to was doing something like this i'd want to know it
If management wants to chime on on this.

Also it may serve to identify the person who is asking for the cancellation without their permission, since its not me. This charity is not a well known one with a reputation to protect, in fact given what they "do" they may like being portrayed as the victim and RFD/Quentin5 as the bully. Gives them something to fight in the court of public opinion.

As i said, i don't subscribe to their mission and its not a medical charity.