Students

Chartered Accountant vs Doctor, I can't decide.

[OP]
Feb 23, 2013
57 posts
BOWMANVILLE

Chartered Accountant vs Doctor, I can't decide.

I have put up a couple post's about the two occupations however can't decide. My heart is truthfully in medicine but I guess one could say I can be a coward. I am petrified of putting in extensive hours of work and not being matriculated. I know a career in accountancy is repetitious but are there hidden benefits?

Any advice on what career path to choose and why ?

Also what are some things I can do to enhance my Medical School application in terms of volunteering and extracurricular activities
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
394 upvotes
Canada
What makes you think medicine is not repetitive?
He died for me, I live for him
Aug 18, 2005
696 posts
116 upvotes
Calgary
I've heard sex surrogates are a great volunteer opportunity and look awesome on med school apps.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
BedroomBully11 wrote: I have put up a couple post's about the two occupations however can't decide. My heart is truthfully in medicine but I guess one could say I can be a coward. I am petrified of putting in extensive hours of work and not being matriculated. I know a career in accountancy is repetitious but are there hidden benefits?

Any advice on what career path to choose and why ?

Also what are some things I can do to enhance my Medical School application in terms of volunteering and extracurricular activities
If you think medicine is not repetitive then you're in for a big shock.

You'll be spending years and years doing the same thing - only the very best, top of the line super surgeons have the opportunity not to be "repetitious".
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2057 posts
1901 upvotes
OP, you made another thread just now about how easy medical school is and then say you are scared how difficult it will be. A little two faced if you ask me.

It seems to me that you just want the easy way out. You are scared to commit to something and make sacrifices along the way.

And what do you mean by "hidden benefits" of being an accountant?
[OP]
Feb 23, 2013
57 posts
BOWMANVILLE
xlc_88 wrote: OP, you made another thread just now about how easy medical school is and then say you are scared how difficult it will be. A little two faced if you ask me.

It seems to me that you just want the easy way out. You are scared to commit to something and make sacrifices along the way.

And what do you mean by "hidden benefits" of being an accountant?

I assure you I am not scared to take the challenge on or I wouldn't even be asking about it. Yes I would have my worries along the way but who wouldn't? No one would want to put such hard work in to something and then find out they can't do the things they dreamed about doing.

And I guess "hidden benefits" was a bad way to put it, I apologize. What I meant to say is do you think there are advantages to being an accountant that not many people would think about?
[OP]
Feb 23, 2013
57 posts
BOWMANVILLE
shannn wrote: What makes you think medicine is not repetitive?
I suppose medicine is repetitive in some ways but certainly not the way accounting is. In medicine your faced with an abundance of problems with different patients. Accounting is known for being repetitive and extremely sedentary. We all have our opinions
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
394 upvotes
Canada
BedroomBully11 wrote: I suppose medicine is repetitive in some ways but certainly not the way accounting is. In medicine your faced with an abundance of problems with different patients. Accounting is known for being repetitive and extremely sedentary. We all have our opinions
...not really. When you get into medicine, you start realizing that you only see zebras about 5% of the time, 95% of the time it is the same old bread and butter horses.
Feb 20, 2004
123 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
shannn wrote: ...not really. When you get into medicine, you start realizing that you only see zebras about 5% of the time, 95% of the time it is the same old bread and butter horses.
Not that the horses aren't nice and all, but the zebras sure are more interesting.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
394 upvotes
Canada
Sparkle wrote: Not that the horses aren't nice and all, but the zebras sure are more interesting.
Problem is when people try to paint stripes on obvious horses to make them look like zebras :lol:
[OP]
Feb 23, 2013
57 posts
BOWMANVILLE
shannn wrote: ...not really. When you get into medicine, you start realizing that you only see zebras about 5% of the time, 95% of the time it is the same old bread and butter horses.
lol extremely interesting way to put it but il take it. Okay so let me ask you, what would you rather do? Or a better question what DO you do if you don't mind me asking
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3373 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
It sounds like OP just randomly took two unrelated, yet difficult, careers and made a comparison thread about them. If you're being serious about this question, then the way to figure what you want to do is to talk to people working in the field or go shadow someone in the field.. you'll figure out which one you want to do...
[OP]
Feb 23, 2013
57 posts
BOWMANVILLE
windforcexx28 wrote: It sounds like OP just randomly took two unrelated, yet difficult, careers and made a comparison thread about them. If you're being serious about this question, then the way to figure what you want to do is to talk to people working in the field or go shadow someone in the field.. you'll figure out which one you want to do...
Your completely wrong if you think I haven't shadowed either of these professions. I have shadowed both. You honestly going to sit there and pretty much imply that as you were growing up you never took interest in more then one thing? That's ridiculous aha.

I am here because perhaps I liked both professions and wanted to see if others had information I did not know about. Individuals like you always have to jump in with your false accusations.
Jan 9, 2013
169 posts
14 upvotes
i know who u r. your brother's a doctor isn't he? lol. u asked the dumbest questions in class, it was hilarious. and now youre ranbling about this. o lawd
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22393 posts
3268 upvotes
Toss a coin. Heads = med school; tails = CA. Let me guess, you're in high school currently?
Dec 20, 2012
55 posts
NORTH YORK
realdealer1 wrote: i know who u r. your brother's a doctor isn't he? lol. u asked the dumbest questions in class, it was hilarious. and now youre ranbling about this. o lawd
Lol **** just got real
[OP]
Feb 23, 2013
57 posts
BOWMANVILLE
realdealer1 wrote: i know who u r. your brother's a doctor isn't he? lol. u asked the dumbest questions in class, it was hilarious. and now youre ranbling about this. o lawd
Actually you must be a ***** aha because my brother is not a Doctor? So you should probably get your **** straight before you assume things.
[OP]
Feb 23, 2013
57 posts
BOWMANVILLE
Kasakato wrote: Toss a coin. Heads = med school; tails = CA. Let me guess, you're in high school currently?
I'm not in high school. Im in life sciences and currently my marks are good enough to do either one, just wanted some extra advice.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22393 posts
3268 upvotes
BedroomBully11 wrote: I'm not in high school. Im in life sciences and currently my marks are good enough to do either one, just wanted some extra advice.
Uh huh. If you say so. The inconsistencies across threads and posts is unbelievable.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: Uh huh. If you say so. The inconsistencies across threads and posts is unbelievable.
You should see the other thread where "OP's Friend" turns into him!