Credit Cards

Chase Canada - All cards will be closed on March 15, 2018 | All debts wiped clear (Aug 8, 2019)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2019 10:38 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 11, 2010
203 posts
41 upvotes
So what's the consensus on time from approval to physical card delivery? ~10 days?
Feb 29, 2008
59 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
I tried signing up for this card but after checking all the boxes, filling out my SIN, income, phone number, etc., I hit "Submit Application" and it just brings me back to the same page. I tried it in Firefox and in Chrome and the same thing kept happening.

I also tried calling them but they said you can only apply online. The lady also said she doesn't know what the problem is, and looked up my phone number and found nothing. She said she'd "file a report" and suggested trying to apply again tomorrow.

Anyone else have this problem?
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
10565 posts
2815 upvotes
Vancouver
somethingorother wrote: So what's the consensus on time from approval to physical card delivery? ~10 days?

Mine was 9-10 calendar days.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19797 posts
2547 upvotes
S5 wrote: Do extended warranties and purchase protection extend to foreign purchases? I don't have the answer but would like to know.
Yes. Purchase protection is always valid and has no restrictions. Extended warranty is valid as long as that product has a Canadian warranty. This is fairly common to have international warranties for electronics and computer items and many durable goods.
Perhaps but as a complementary card to your current travel card nothing is lost.
I dunno, I have a hard time coming up with what I would use this card for. I would not use it to purchase initial travel; I would not use it to purchase durable goods in the US; I would not use it for car rentals; I would not use it at restaurants (as the 3% Amex I have beats that)... the only thing left I guess is if you are travelling and buying clothing?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19797 posts
2547 upvotes
shannn wrote: But most people who are travelling won't be using it to buy things things like electronics.
It is a traveler's dream card in the sense that making purchases with the card for things like food, drinks, activities, etc... that you wouldn't need any real benefits other than cashback on.
If you are buying food and drinks then you should be using your 3% Amex...
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
10565 posts
2815 upvotes
Vancouver
brunes wrote: If you are buying food and drinks then you should be using your 3% Amex...

not if you're out of the country. Net of the FX fee the Amex is 0.5% return vs 1% for the Amazon Visa.
Oct 31, 2007
467 posts
10 upvotes
danielek wrote: I tried signing up for this card but after checking all the boxes, filling out my SIN, income, phone number, etc., I hit "Submit Application" and it just brings me back to the same page. I tried it in Firefox and in Chrome and the same thing kept happening.

I also tried calling them but they said you can only apply online. The lady also said she doesn't know what the problem is, and looked up my phone number and found nothing. She said she'd "file a report" and suggested trying to apply again tomorrow.

Anyone else have this problem?

Exact same thing for me. Called in and they had norecord of application, and told me to try website again. Frustrating.
Feb 29, 2008
59 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
ac328 wrote: Exact same thing for me. Called in and they had norecord of application, and told me to try website again. Frustrating.

Glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. May I ask when you tried? Did you try over a period of more than one day?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22218 posts
3050 upvotes
brunes wrote: If you are buying food and drinks then you should be using your 3% Amex...

Amex has a 2.5% conversion fee. After the 3% rebate, you only receive ~0.5%. Keep in mind the Amazon card has no fee plus 1% on non-Amazon purchases.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
393 upvotes
Canada

1226 wrote: not if you're out of the country. Net of the FX fee the Amex is 0.5% return vs 1% for the Amazon Visa.
Kasakato wrote: Amex has a 2.5% conversion fee. After the 3% rebate, you only receive ~0.5%. Keep in mind the Amazon card has no fee plus 1% on non-Amazon purchases.

+1

And that is if they even accept Amex (especially if you are travelling to somewhere other than the US).
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
10565 posts
2815 upvotes
Vancouver
brunes wrote: I dunno, I have a hard time coming up with what I would use this card for. I would not use it to purchase initial travel; I would not use it to purchase durable goods in the US; I would not use it for car rentals; I would not use it at restaurants (as the 3% Amex I have beats that)... the only thing left I guess is if you are travelling and buying clothing?
It's maybe not for everyone but some of us (like me) live near the border and buy tons of every day type stuff in the US. I looked back and in the last 6 months I spent $4-5K in USD purchases not counting Costco, "initial travel" (hotels, flights) and stuff I'd want extended warranty or purchase protection on.

This card is totally worth it for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2032 posts
333 upvotes
shannn wrote: +1

And that is if they even accept Amex (especially if you are travelling to somewhere other than the US).

Even in the US, not everyone takes Amex. I happened to be at a high end steakhouse in Chicago recently, I took for granted and handed Amex. The waiter cringed and said, "I apologize, we don't take Amex." Then it was my turn to cringe, out came a VISA.
Oct 31, 2007
467 posts
10 upvotes
danielek wrote: Glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. May I ask when you tried? Did you try over a period of more than one day?

Update: I tried again using my BlackBerry playbook (of all things) last night and got instant approval. I had initially tried Thursday night and Friday from my home and work PC. Not sure if it was the computer or Chases website?

Anyway only thing I can suggest is keep trying.

It was preloaded on Amazon website and used it right away to buy some blurays on Amazon UK, very convenient.

Best of luck...this card is gonna be very handy.
Mar 30, 2009
374 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
ac328 wrote: Update: I tried again using my BlackBerry playbook (of all things) last night and got instant approval. I had initially tried Thursday night and Friday from my home and work PC. Not sure if it was the computer or Chases website?

Anyway only thing I can suggest is keep trying.

It was preloaded on Amazon website and used it right away to buy some blurays on Amazon UK, very convenient.

Best of luck...this card is gonna be very handy.

Tried again today, no dice. Time for me to pick up the phone I suppose. I'll make sure to tell them that I am not the only one that seems to be having this problem, since quite a few people seem to be experiencing it now.
Mar 30, 2009
374 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Bah, I guess their support offices are closed on Sundays. I guess I'll wait until my next book order and try again.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
393 upvotes
Canada
Corvillus wrote: Tried again today, no dice. Time for me to pick up the phone I suppose. I'll make sure to tell them that I am not the only one that seems to be having this problem, since quite a few people seem to be experiencing it now.

Which browsers are you using?
I use IE when I apply for credit cards because it seems most financial websites are optimized for IE.

Otherwise, try Opera -> Chrome -> Firefox -> Safari
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6410 posts
681 upvotes
Calgary
worked fine for me with chrome...instant approval and already ordered some blurays....

this seems like a great card to link to paypal and use for all non-cdn purchases...
Feb 29, 2008
59 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
shannn wrote: Which browsers are you using?
I use IE when I apply for credit cards because it seems most financial websites are optimized for IE.

Otherwise, try Opera -> Chrome -> Firefox -> Safari

I've tried with Firefox, Chrome and now IE. None worked.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3396 posts
1658 upvotes
Montreal
markj wrote: worked fine for me with chrome...instant approval and already ordered some blurays....

this seems like a great card to link to paypal and use for all non-cdn purchases...
I believe Paypal automatically converts foreign currency for you before charging you in CDN$ so that would be pointless.