Credit Cards

Locked: Chase Marriott Visa, 50 K points+1 free night annual, no foreign transaction fee

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 8:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
4780 posts
1623 upvotes
Ontario
adeel wrote: ^fairly certain that all credit cards have a minimum period in which you can cancel the card and hvae the fee reversed...i believe marriott is 30 days, and some others could be 60 days
Thanks. I'll take a gamble and give it a try.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Oct 12, 2005
389 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
how do you setup the pin on this card ? online or they mail it seperately after the card ?
54 posts
123 upvotes

The Chase Marriott Visa's welcome bonus is 50,000 now. https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=lp3 ... VMR1207057

BUT, this time, the 50,000 welcome bonus is a one-time bonus offer, and it is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer.

BTW, the first-time cardmember cannot get the one Category 1-4 Free Night in the first year. But, you can still receive the Category 1-5 Free Night after your account anniversary date each year.
Last edited by canadianrewardsnet on Sep 6th, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
5652 posts
3803 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Hartom wrote: how do you setup the pin on this card ? online or they mail it seperately after the card ?
iirc, it was online
Alterna Bank Thread
Stock Thread

TFSA Portfolio: AEM|ATD|BAM.A|BCE|BIP.UN|CCL.B|CNQ|CNR|CTC.A|ENB|FCD.UN|FN|FTS|FTT|GSY|IFC|IMO|MFC|MG|MRU|NA|NET.UN|SJ|T|TOU
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2006
1906 posts
57 upvotes
Because she's creditworthy, a CA and a senior investigator for the CRA criminal investigation bureau and she makes $160K per year with lifetime employment and pension....
foreigncontent wrote:
Akuma_kumite wrote: My girlfriend is French and according to her, it's a rejection letter which states that they have issues with your credit history (too much credit inquiries; too high debt to income ratio; etc) when they did credit checks on you with Equifax or Transunion. In a nutshell, Chase thank you for your application but we don't want your business at the moment..... Unbelievable lol
why is that unbelievable?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37405 posts
23468 upvotes
Center of Universe
Akuma_kumite wrote: Because she's creditworthy, a CA and a senior investigator for the CRA criminal investigation bureau and she makes $160K per year with lifetime employment and pension....
foreigncontent wrote:
Akuma_kumite wrote: My girlfriend is French and according to her, it's a rejection letter which states that they have issues with your credit history (too much credit inquiries; too high debt to income ratio; etc) when they did credit checks on you with Equifax or Transunion. In a nutshell, Chase thank you for your application but we don't want your business at the moment..... Unbelievable lol
why is that unbelievable?
But, she has 3 mortgages, $50k loan, $20K BT and 60% utilization.
Looks like she's trying to churn cards and all of the hard hits, plus the above shows as being risky borrower.

Edit: On another note, have you tried applying and see if it gets approved?
At least you can see why she's being rejected by comparing your credit worthiness.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2984 upvotes
Unbelievable? Credit is not a right, it's a privilege. If you've shown a history of not being responsible with it, which is what this seems to be saying, then why do you think you should be granted more? Curious to understand the mentality of entitlement.
Mar 9, 2015
229 posts
98 upvotes
Aldergrove, BC
"Because she's creditworthy, a CA and a senior investigator for the CRA criminal investigation bureau and she makes $160K per year with lifetime employment and pension...."

BUT you didn't mention the $1 million+ in debt liabilities she has (Yes a mortgage or 3 is debt)
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
399 upvotes
toronto
jcb928 wrote: "Because she's creditworthy, a CA and a senior investigator for the CRA criminal investigation bureau and she makes $160K per year with lifetime employment and pension...."

BUT you didn't mention the $1 million+ in debt liabilities she has (Yes a mortgage or 3 is debt)

and added new info that she is a foreigner
Mar 4, 2007
429 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary
canadianrewardsnet wrote: Image

The Chase Marriott Visa's welcome bonus is 50,000 now. https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=lp3 ... VMR1207057

BUT, this time, the 50,000 welcome bonus is a one-time bonus offer, and it is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer.

BTW, the first-time cardmember cannot get the one Category 1-4 Free Night in the first year. But, you can still receive the Category 1-5 Free Night after your account anniversary date each year.
does this mean an end to this card, as far as churning goes?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6718 posts
6839 upvotes
Hartom wrote: how do you setup the pin on this card ? online or they mail it seperately after the card ?
I called in and set up my Chase Visa PIN using their automated phone system.
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. [email protected] 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2006
1906 posts
57 upvotes
Wow, so many haters and jealous folks here. You all judged my girlfriend as if she's a landed immigrant FOB who has no credit history and high risk borrower. For your information, she's a fully bilingual French Canadian who works as a tax fraud investigator for the CRA and makes more than most of you. Chase was the only creditor who rejected her application out of the many applications she's approved for. She was recently offered a renewal mortgage rate at 1.80% variable for 5 y and unsecured loans from bank at prime + 0. 25. And a $40,000 loan from MBNA with 0% interest for a year.

Now, I understand from Chase's perspective that they want to avoid credit card churners and they're American bank that wants to mitigate foreign risk in Canada. She did have a Chase Best Buy Visa that Chase had sold to Desjardins for years. Regardless, she's not a minimum wage refugee who struggling to find work like you think.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37405 posts
23468 upvotes
Center of Universe
Akuma_kumite wrote: Wow, so many haters and jealous folks here. You all judged my girlfriend as if she's a landed immigrant FOB who has no credit history and high risk borrower. For your information, she's a fully bilingual French Canadian who works as a tax fraud investigator for the CRA and makes more than most of you. Chase was the only creditor who rejected her application out of the many applications she's approved for. She was recently offered a renewal mortgage rate at 1.80% variable for 5 y and unsecured loans from bank at prime + 0. 25. And a $40,000 loan from MBNA with 0% interest for a year.

Now, I understand from Chase's perspective that they want to avoid credit card churners and they're American bank that wants to mitigate foreign risk in Canada. She did have a Chase Best Buy Visa that Chase had sold to Desjardins for years. Regardless, she's not a minimum wage refugee who struggling to find work like you think.
Relax, noone is hating on your GF.
The point is, regardless of her income, it's the debt to income ratio that is making her a risky borrower.
We didn't make any of that up and clearly Chase is excersing their discretion to not extend her credit becuase of that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9112 posts
1579 upvotes
TO
Siralex wrote:
canadianrewardsnet wrote: Image

does this mean an end to this card, as far as churning goes?
Can anyone confirm if they've changed the verbiage from last time around? I've only had this card once and was hoping to get it next year but doesn't look like we can get any more churn points.
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2583 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
Akuma_kumite wrote: Wow, so many haters and jealous folks here. You all judged my girlfriend as if she's a landed immigrant FOB who has no credit history and high risk borrower. For your information, she's a fully bilingual French Canadian who works as a tax fraud investigator for the CRA and makes more than most of you.
You must have a superiority complex. Only one poster referred to your gal as a foreigner and because of your own statement:
Akuma_kumite wrote: My girlfriend is French .......

I read that to mean she is from France as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2897 posts
1652 upvotes
Akuma_kumite wrote:My spouse application was declined by JP Morgan Chase too and she has never been declined by any financial institutions or creditors before. She makes a base salary of $95,000 a year as an investigator of the CRA and has a mid 700 credit score and owns 3 properties. I guess JPMorgan Chase bank doesn't want anymore Canadian business since they have been slowly selling off their Canadian retail credit card portfolios to TD, Desjardins, RBC, etc
Akuma_kumite wrote:Alright, she does have a high debt ratio, and all her 3 properties have 4 mortgages in total of about $1 million. She does have many credit cards, a recent 50K car loan and a renewal 40K interest free LOC from MBNA this month. But whatever is the case, her annual income is 95K base + 20K overtime income + 2 rental incomes of 4K a month. So her annual total gross income is about 160K. And she's been an employee of the CRA for 10 years with a defined lifetime pension.
Akuma_kumite wrote:My girlfriend is French and according to her, it's a rejection letter which states that they have issues with your credit history (too much credit inquiries; too high debt to income ratio; etc) when they did credit checks on you with Equifax or Transunion. In a nutshell, Chase thank you for your application but we don't want your business at the moment..... Unbelievable lol
Akuma_kumite wrote:Because she's creditworthy, a CA and a senior investigator for the CRA criminal investigation bureau and she makes $160K per year with lifetime employment and pension....
Akuma_kumite" wrote: My girlfriend is French and according to her, it's a rejection letter which states that they have issues with your credit history (too much credit inquiries; too high debt to income ratio; etc) when they did credit checks on you with Equifax or Transunion. In a nutshell, Chase thank you for your application but we don't want your business at the moment..... Unbelievable lol
Akuma_kumite wrote:Wow, so many haters and jealous folks here. You all judged my girlfriend as if she's a landed immigrant FOB who has no credit history and high risk borrower. For your information, she's a fully bilingual French Canadian who works as a tax fraud investigator for the CRA and makes more than most of you. Chase was the only creditor who rejected her application out of the many applications she's approved for. She was recently offered a renewal mortgage rate at 1.80% variable for 5 y and unsecured loans from bank at prime + 0. 25. And a $40,000 loan from MBNA with 0% interest for a year.

Touchy...! No one is judging you or your spouse. But by saying
and makes more than most of you
doesn't help when posters may be trying to offer advice.
Call and talk to Chase and ask. They are helpful and do want your business. I was recently turned down for a renewal. I called and the conversation was simple. Up my income by roughly $400 bucks and the problem will be solved. They do not care that your spouse makes 160k a year, nor do they care how many properties your spouse has or how much cash you have stuffed in a mattress.

Call and find out exactly why Chase declined the application and how to fix the problem. You might want to start with a better understanding of how to report your income. Pretty sure your spouse should have a good idea which line to report to Chase. Your spouse having "many" credit cards might be an issue. Lastly, bragging doesn't help your case at all. We all make 170k and have 350k mortgages, minimum two cars and a Vitamix.
Apr 28, 2012
958 posts
339 upvotes
QC
Akuma_kumite wrote: Wow, so many haters and jealous folks here. You all judged my girlfriend as if she's a landed immigrant FOB who has no credit history and high risk borrower. For your information, she's a fully bilingual French Canadian who works as a tax fraud investigator for the CRA and makes more than most of you. Chase was the only creditor who rejected her application out of the many applications she's approved for. She was recently offered a renewal mortgage rate at 1.80% variable for 5 y and unsecured loans from bank at prime + 0. 25. And a $40,000 loan from MBNA with 0% interest for a year.

gf should choose between the responsibilities of her senior well-paid public service job duties, or trying to become a real estate tycoon :P
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.

AMEX Special bonuses : Gold 30K points ·· Platinum 60K ·· Biz Gold 40K FYF ·· Biz Platinum 60K ·· SPG 20K
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4017 upvotes
BC
MMMM wrote:
Akuma_kumite wrote:My spouse application was declined by JP Morgan Chase too and she has never been declined by any financial institutions or creditors before. She makes a base salary of $95,000 a year as an investigator of the CRA and has a mid 700 credit score and owns 3 properties. I guess JPMorgan Chase bank doesn't want anymore Canadian business since they have been slowly selling off their Canadian retail credit card portfolios to TD, Desjardins, RBC, etc
Akuma_kumite wrote:Alright, she does have a high debt ratio, and all her 3 properties have 4 mortgages in total of about $1 million. She does have many credit cards, a recent 50K car loan and a renewal 40K interest free LOC from MBNA this month. But whatever is the case, her annual income is 95K base + 20K overtime income + 2 rental incomes of 4K a month. So her annual total gross income is about 160K. And she's been an employee of the CRA for 10 years with a defined lifetime pension.
Akuma_kumite wrote:My girlfriend is French and according to her, it's a rejection letter which states that they have issues with your credit history (too much credit inquiries; too high debt to income ratio; etc) when they did credit checks on you with Equifax or Transunion. In a nutshell, Chase thank you for your application but we don't want your business at the moment..... Unbelievable lol
Akuma_kumite wrote:Because she's creditworthy, a CA and a senior investigator for the CRA criminal investigation bureau and she makes $160K per year with lifetime employment and pension....
Akuma_kumite" wrote: My girlfriend is French and according to her, it's a rejection letter which states that they have issues with your credit history (too much credit inquiries; too high debt to income ratio; etc) when they did credit checks on you with Equifax or Transunion. In a nutshell, Chase thank you for your application but we don't want your business at the moment..... Unbelievable lol
Akuma_kumite wrote:Wow, so many haters and jealous folks here. You all judged my girlfriend as if she's a landed immigrant FOB who has no credit history and high risk borrower. For your information, she's a fully bilingual French Canadian who works as a tax fraud investigator for the CRA and makes more than most of you. Chase was the only creditor who rejected her application out of the many applications she's approved for. She was recently offered a renewal mortgage rate at 1.80% variable for 5 y and unsecured loans from bank at prime + 0. 25. And a $40,000 loan from MBNA with 0% interest for a year.

Touchy...! No one is judging you or your spouse. But by saying
and makes more than most of you
doesn't help when posters may be trying to offer advice.
Call and talk to Chase and ask. They are helpful and do want your business. I was recently turned down for a renewal. I called and the conversation was simple. Up my income by roughly $400 bucks and the problem will be solved. They do not care that your spouse makes 160k a year, nor do they care how many properties your spouse has or how much cash you have stuffed in a mattress.

Call and find out exactly why Chase declined the application and how to fix the problem. You might want to start with a better understanding of how to report your income. Pretty sure your spouse should have a good idea which line to report to Chase. Your spouse having "many" credit cards might be an issue. Lastly, bragging doesn't help your case at all. We all make 170k and have 350k mortgages, minimum two cars and a Vitamix.
I completely disagree. I have a Blendtec!
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9112 posts
1579 upvotes
TO
I think we are missing the larger point here! Let's get back on topic and main thread! We have a major change that someone reported here of no churning....people keep replying to that poster instead of no-churn cycle of this card :)
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)