Credit Cards

Locked: Chase Marriott Visa, 50 K points+1 free night annual, no foreign transaction fee

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 8:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9078 posts
3685 upvotes
Toronto
PJStyles wrote: Do you guys think this card is still a keeper at 30k signup bonus?
It's a keeper for forex transactions and spending at Marriott properties. Other than that, would use other cards.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
4465 posts
1204 upvotes
Markham
Anyone used their card at US gas stations that require a zipcode? Does the usual trick (e.g. postal code is X1Y 2Z3, type 12300 or 00123) work? I called them but the lady didn't know.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
393 upvotes
Canada
Jonavin wrote: Anyone used their card at US gas stations that require a zipcode? Does the usual trick (e.g. postal code is X1Y 2Z3, type 12300 or 00123) work? I called them but the lady didn't know.
I was in Hawaii with my amazon rewards CC, and since they are both Chase cards they should be similar. Entering a zip code would not work for me regardless of what I used (00000, 12345, 12300, 00123), so I would have to go into the gas bar and have the cashier pre-authorize like $50 on the pump and then I would just go back in after filling up and pay how much I pumped.
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
4465 posts
1204 upvotes
Markham
What a pain. I guess I'll stick to my RBCUS Visa Signature card then for gas in those locale.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25755 posts
7673 upvotes
where I belong
shannn wrote: I was in Hawaii with my amazon rewards CC, and since they are both Chase cards they should be similar. Entering a zip code would not work for me regardless of what I used (00000, 12345, 12300, 00123), so I would have to go into the gas bar and have the cashier pre-authorize like $50 on the pump and then I would just go back in after filling up and pay how much I pumped.
That's just how many US gas stations work on any CC I'd say, it happened to me for any Canadian CC, or TD USD Visa.
Sometimes CC at the pump works fine (I think Buffalo for example), but most of the time you need to pre-pay inside (that's the case for me in California and Las Vegas)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Nov 1, 2010
397 posts
56 upvotes
My experience (3 times) has been to offer to prepay at which I'm told to go ahead and pay after as I'm canadian (as in trustworthy?).
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25755 posts
7673 upvotes
where I belong
got my card today, will make 1st purchase tonight, and HOPE for 50,000 points in 8~10 weeks. My free night + 15 night credit has been posted already
1 50,000 Bonus Points: Please allow 8 to 10 weeks after your first purchase for points to be posted to your Marriott Rewards account. This offer is valid only for first time Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers. Existing Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Cardmembers are not eligible. If your account is not kept open for at least 6 months, Marriott and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus points from your Marriott Rewards account. Purchases must not be returned or otherwise negated by a credit to your account in order to qualify.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9821 posts
1298 upvotes
GTA
jerryhung wrote: That's just how many US gas stations work on any CC I'd say, it happened to me for any Canadian CC, or TD USD Visa.
Sometimes CC at the pump works fine (I think Buffalo for example), but most of the time you need to pre-pay inside (that's the case for me in California and Las Vegas)
I am wondering what would happen if you added a US address to your card? I added a USA address to my USD Credit card for when I ordered stuff to Niagara Falls, NY (shipping depot location so no issues with credit card being declined). I wonder if I could enter the zip code of that added USA address..

Regarding this card, I finally got it yesterday. What a PAIN though. Originally I didn't get approved when I applied online, I called in the next day and I was told that I was not approved and that I couldn't apply again for 6 months. I got transfered to the security department for some reason. I was thinking WTF. He said I would get a letter in a week or so explaining it. In a week I got a letter that said they needed more info, I called, got put on hold for like 20 minutes and eventually the lady came back and took some more info from me. Asked me if I applied from work or home (so weird, maybe because my home IP address shows up as Ottawa whenever I check those "ip location" sites).

Anyway, long story short I got the card. I need to check my points balance still.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1096 posts
438 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone got the points yet?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2277 posts
2321 upvotes
Montréal
I was just about to post here asking if anyone has even gotten their first bill lol. I have the actual credit card, bought a few things online with it, the free night was deposited in my marriott account. Since then, nothing. No points, no first statement in the mail. Strange. Applied for the Best Western MBNA around the same time and just got the second bill with all 50K BW points deposited.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25755 posts
7673 upvotes
where I belong
crimsona wrote: My billing cycle ends on the 11th of every month, and my points get posted on the 18th into my Marriott account.

Original 30k points posted after first statement (I signed up too early)
Good to know, my 1st bill just got released (Nov 11th cycle also)

Can people confirm the payee? I'm using TD EasyWeb and I think it's "MARRIOTT VISA" (there's also JPMorgan Chase N.A.)

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6720 posts
6842 upvotes
crimsona wrote: My billing cycle ends on the 11th of every month, and my points get posted on the 18th into my Marriott account.

Original 30k points posted after first statement (I signed up too early)
Crimsona, I posted a few pages back about getting the additional 20K, and also that Chase posts to Marriott Rewards on the 12th of each month...
bizee-bee wrote: <snip>.... receiving the additional 20k (as per my request, see below), and that these would appear in my Marriott Rewards account on Nov 19th, as Chase normally posts the rewards to Marriott on the 12th of each month, and the updates usually take about 5 days to post through. So, I guess the 19th of the month is a general rule-of-thumb date to check your Marriott Rewards account for points accumulated through Chase.
====
For anyone who's interested, I called Chase Cardmember Service at 1-888-296-9882. I mentioned that I applied for the card when it was offered with 30K points, but then got the email offer for 50K pts.
<snip>
Though I'm still not seeing the additional 20K points in my account yet...I expect them to be there by the 18th or 19th.
jerryhung wrote: Can people confirm the payee? I'm using TD EasyWeb and I think it's "MARRIOTT VISA" (there's also JPMorgan Chase N.A.)
Jerry, yes it's "MARRIOTT VISA".
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3449 posts
339 upvotes
Calgary
Woohoo, my 50,000 Marriott points posted. No need to fight for the bonus 20,000 pts.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25755 posts
7673 upvotes
where I belong
cko64 wrote: Woohoo, my 50,000 Marriott points posted. No need to fight for the bonus 20,000 pts.
Thanks for the tip, got mine today too, after spending $47 CAD before 1st bill (on the 11th)
Date Posted Type Description Points earned /used
11/18/2012 Bonus MR VISA CANADA-2 PTS FOR SPEND
Total 93 pts

11/18/2012 Bonus MR VISA - ENROLLMENT BONUS
Total 50,000 pts
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9821 posts
1298 upvotes
GTA
I got my points last week along with my first bill. 50,000

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they got an e-mail from Marriott with an e-certificate for a free night stay. When does that come or where do I find that in my online account?

EDIT - K, just saw a little slip of paper that came with my card.

Says that the e-certificate would be listed under "upcoming reservations" page at Marriotrewards.com . Mine isn't there yet but says allow 6 weeks after account opening for it to be deposited. I will check back
May 2, 2011
229 posts
47 upvotes
Only 30,000 points posted :(

As I never received the 50k promotion by email, do you think I have a chance if I call the Chase Cardmember Service at 1-888-296-9882?
Jan 21, 2012
548 posts
291 upvotes
Just curious to see if anyone received the 50K promotion by mail recently? Thanks.
Apr 30, 2008
40 posts
211 upvotes
lingecw wrote: Just curious to see if anyone received the 50K promotion by mail recently? Thanks.
I got the 50k promotional mail last week. Also just got 50k pts posted to my account.
Jan 21, 2012
548 posts
291 upvotes
superpico wrote: I got the 50k promotional mail last week. Also just got 50k pts posted to my account.
Thanks.
So you applied when you received 30K promotional mail, and then received 50K promotional mail after you got the card?

I received 30K promotional mail in Oct, I ignored it, and hoping will get 50K promotional mail later. But I just got a new 30K promotional mail again today.

It is interesting to find out if Marriott would only give out 50K promotion for those who has applied with 30K promotion.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)