Credit Cards

Locked: Chase Marriott Visa, 50 K points+1 free night annual, no foreign transaction fee

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 8:43 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 6, 2012
193 posts
73 upvotes
Does the free night stay apply to oversea hotels? Gonna travel to Asia at the end of the year.
Penalty Box
Apr 16, 2012
3565 posts
687 upvotes
Greely
ecgz88 wrote: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/
https://www.chase.com/online/canada/mar ... isa-en.htm

30,000 Bonus Points after your first purchase
■1 Free Night Stay at a Category 1-4 location after account approval
■Together, that’s enough for up to 5 Free Nights at a Category 1 Hotel (or 4 free nights at a Category 2 hotel)
■No Foreign Currency Transaction Charges
on international purchases in addition to the exchange rate
■5 points per $1 spent at over 3,500 participating Marriott locations
■2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants
■1 point per $1 spent on purchases elsewhere
■Achieve the next Elite membership level faster with 15 Nights Credit every year
Receive one anniversary bonus free night stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year just for having the card
■No charge for additional cards
■Plus, the Annual Fee is waived for the first year, then $120 thereafter
I am calculating the worth of the points. I prefer to deal with "money".

4 nights of category 1 for 30 000 points.

7500 for a night of hotel stay.

I'm gonna guess the value is $100?

So 75 points is worth $1.

5 points per $1 spent at marriott = 6.6% return

2 points per $1 spend at parti. airlines = 2.6% return

1 point per $1 spent at elsewhere = 1.3% return.

Correct me if im wrong.
Oct 31, 2003
863 posts
140 upvotes
Woodbridge
techcrium wrote: I am calculating the worth of the points. I prefer to deal with "money".

4 nights of category 1 for 30 000 points.

7500 for a night of hotel stay.

I'm gonna guess the value is $100?

So 75 points is worth $1.

5 points per $1 spent at marriott = 6.6% return

2 points per $1 spend at parti. airlines = 2.6% return

1 point per $1 spent at elsewhere = 1.3% return.

Correct me if im wrong.
Typically, Marriott hotels are more expensive than $100 per night. It would be safer to say $300 (All in), so the return of 1 point per $1 spent at Marriott will be 2.2% and elsewhere less than 1%.

Inflation has a better rate than this card.
Dec 19, 2006
224 posts
15 upvotes
ottawa
That means your application was rejected.
IF you call the toll free number for application status, the agent should tell you exactly why your application was declined.
Click the "THANKS" button if you like my post.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2154 posts
609 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Anyone want to compare this to the Amazon Visa? I'm going on study exchange to Australia and will be needing a cheap way to pay for things.
Sep 2, 2007
754 posts
251 upvotes
In Consumers there was an article quite a while ago about a "Chase" card

If a user of the card overpaid their account, Chase charged a penalty for overpaying the account

Yes you read it right
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
8829 posts
2362 upvotes
Burnaby
jmatheson64 wrote: Anyone want to compare this to the Amazon Visa? I'm going on study exchange to Australia and will be needing a cheap way to pay for things.
In Australia merchants are legally allowed to surcharge credit card payments, you may want to use cash depending on who you shop with

As for this card:

The Point Saver rate for hotels is somewhat of a farce, since very few dates and locations are available. For example, currently there are zero locations in Canada at the lower rate

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/marr...PointSavers.mi

Also, you probably won't get a standard Marriott room at category 4... the majority of those (at least in the Seattle area) are Courtyard by Marriott instead, some Residence Inns too. The downtown Vancouver Marriott is a category SIX hotel

The 4 nights at a Category 2 hotel is not far off from 4 nights in a motel, in my opinion.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9129 posts
1583 upvotes
TO
crimsona wrote: In Australia merchants are legally allowed to surcharge credit card payments, you may want to use cash depending on who you shop with

As for this card:

The Point Saver rate for hotels is somewhat of a farce, since very few dates and locations are available. For example, currently there are zero locations in Canada at the lower rate

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/marr...PointSavers.mi

Also, you probably won't get a standard Marriott room at category 4... the majority of those (at least in the Seattle area) are Courtyard by Marriott instead, some Residence Inns too. The downtown Vancouver Marriott is a category SIX hotel

The 4 nights at a Category 2 hotel is not far off from 4 nights in a motel, in my opinion.
Yep and I was looking into Calif. locations and the least cat available is Category 2 like Courtyard and they're in business not touristy places like city centre (so Peasanton Calif or south of Oakland)
Feb 2, 2011
16 posts
7 upvotes
Montreal
on the official website, "find and reserve", make sure you choose " Use Marriott Rewards points ", then you will see categories for each result.
trellaine201 wrote: Where do I find the hotels category?
In my opinion, this is a hot deal. Category 2 hotels' prices are around $100 in the US. I booked them a few times this summer to take advantage of "stay 2, get 1 night free" promo.
Jun 19, 2005
223 posts
175 upvotes
Thanks OP

You have been approved for a Marriott Rewards® Visa® Card.

Your credit card will be mailed to you within five to seven days. For questions about your new account, you may contact Cardmember Service at 1-888-296-9882 and quote reference number
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13471 posts
2726 upvotes
Vancouver
Can these be transferred to aeroplan? Hotels seem a rip off.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3507 posts
2708 upvotes
GTA
trellaine201 wrote: Can these be transferred to aeroplan? Hotels seem a rip off.

Thanks
Ha ha ha ha did you actually imply that aeroplan is not a rip off then ? ha ha ha ha
Dec 18, 2011
28 posts
3 upvotes
KIRKLAND
flaming homer wrote: Ha ha ha ha did you actually imply that aeroplan is not a rip off then ? ha ha ha ha
love this one! haha
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13471 posts
2726 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmmm how come there are two links from the OP.

What is the difference?
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13471 posts
2726 upvotes
Vancouver
Fine print confuses me:

Waived for the 1st year; charged annually thereafter (whether your card is activated or not) on your statement anniversary date.

What if I cancel a month after I get the card? That seems a bit tricky? Or am I reading too much into it?
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
10591 posts
2834 upvotes
Vancouver
kareshi wrote: Thanks for letting me know. I may switch when the new one has come to an year! i am not quite interested in collection amazon points though
No Amazon points. Just straight cash homey (1%, automatic statement credit once you hit $20).
Jun 19, 2005
223 posts
175 upvotes
1 free night + 10,000 aeroplan points (converts 3:1 with aeroplan) from 30,000 points you get from this card.

also no foreign exchange fee which is 2.5% is a huge plus for me
Nov 23, 2001
706 posts
193 upvotes
Hogo wrote: If thats the case, if you combine with this:

https://www2.aeroplan.com/promotions/pr ... id=ban5722

You end up with 12k aeroplan miles..getting close to the CIBC promo
From what I see it's 2k aeroplan per 10k marriott points so 30k = 6k + 1k from the aeroplan promotion
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
3023 posts
328 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Fine print confuses me:

Waived for the 1st year; charged annually thereafter (whether your card is activated or not) on your statement anniversary date.

What if I cancel a month after I get the card? That seems a bit tricky? Or am I reading too much into it?

I remember reading a clause that you have to keep your account active for 6+ months, otherwise they can claw back the bonus points from you.