Credit Cards

Locked: Chase Marriott Visa, 50 K points+1 free night annual, no foreign transaction fee

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 8:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6241 posts
4340 upvotes
Wet Banana wrote: The Amazon.ca Rewards Visa has no foreign transaction fee either, and the card is free: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/cobrandcard/mar ... pr=con31ca
thanks. I did not know about this card. This is equivalent to 3.5% cash back on foreign transactions and 1% on all others. Applied but probably won't get the card for my trip to San fran. Leaving tuesday...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6193 posts
1612 upvotes
Toronto
vaporize wrote: I tried applying last week, but it wasn't immediately approved, not sure what happens....

Seems like a very hot deal if it's real
my friend applied, and also not immediately approved. so he called in right away and asked, and the agent told him that his app was declined, but not able to tell him what's the reason

what else can he do? He was afraid he answered the security questions incorrectly. can he ask to speak to credit analyst and review the app again?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6193 posts
1612 upvotes
Toronto
crimsona wrote: Applied instant approval 2 days ago

Questions came from Transunion, since there was an address error that showed up on my credit history

Got an email from Marriott that the free night has been applied to my account, needs to be used within six months
I got instant approval as well, but I didnt receive any email in regards to the free night.
From the terms and condition - The E-Certificate must be redeemed within 6 months from date of issue
It says "redeemed", does it mean i have to stay at a hotel within 6 months, or I can just redeem it for a hotel stay, say 1 year from now?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
8809 posts
2344 upvotes
Burnaby
The email does elaborate a bit. Stay must be completed by that date:

Reward Details
--------------------------------
Description: 34C MR VISA CA FREE NIGHT CERT OFFER
Reward certificate number:
Reward code: 34C
Valid at hotel categories: Categories 1-4
Valid for stays through: Friday, March 1, 2013
Certificate deposit date: Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Reward Terms & Conditions
Free Night Stay E-Certificate is valid for hotels in categories 1-4. For participating category 1-4 locations, log on to MarriottRewards.com or call 800-321-7396. The E-Certificate must be redeemed within 6 months from date of issue. E-Certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Credit Cardmembers. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Credit Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.
May 7, 2008
789 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like the no foreign transaction charge is a real draw of this card (it definitely is for me!)

In addition to the Amazon Rewards VISA card, there are a couple of Sears card MasterCards "Sears Financial™ MasterCard" and "Sears Financial™
Voyage™ MasterCard®" offered by Chase Bank Canada that have this feature that are cheaper than this Marriott card:

https://www.chase.com/online/canada/canada-home-en.htm

Anyone aware of any other Canadian credit cards that have this feature?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4041 posts
795 upvotes
Windsor
antihero wrote: Seems like the no foreign transaction charge is a real draw of this card (it definitely is for me!)
Certainly interested in this as I shop in the US a lot.... However, is the lack of charge just hidden in a crappy exchange rate? This is what the other two cards I have do.... There's no charge, just the rate is 2-3% off what it should be!
May 7, 2008
789 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
G77 wrote: Certainly interested in this as I shop in the US a lot.... However, is the lack of charge just hidden in a crappy exchange rate? This is what the other two cards I have do.... There's no charge, just the rate is 2-3% off what it should be!
Agreed - simple trick by the banks. Which cards are you referring to that disguise the charge in the FX rate?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4041 posts
795 upvotes
Windsor
Both my HSBC Mastercard and Costco Amex don't give anywhere near the true exchange rate....
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone know the insurance/benefits for this card? I'm coming from an Infinite Visa card.
Sep 7, 2010
362 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
G77 wrote: Certainly interested in this as I shop in the US a lot.... However, is the lack of charge just hidden in a crappy exchange rate? This is what the other two cards I have do.... There's no charge, just the rate is 2-3% off what it should be!
One way to verify this is to do 2 foreign transcations using VISA, within minutes of each other.

I plan on doing this to confirm if the FX charges are really not being charged.
Dec 1, 2003
173 posts
46 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Got approved right away and free night in my account...thanks...
Nov 6, 2006
244 posts
8 upvotes
York
Very interesting. I did a survey for Marriott a few months ago and got 10,000 points or something for taking part. Was asking what I would be looking for in a Marriott Visa and this is pretty close to what I wanted. Don't like the $120 fee after the first year, but I travel a lot and the extra 15 nights will get me to gold status faster and I'll save enough money on free breakfasts alone to pretty much make up for that.
Better exchange rate and extra points also will be good, so I'll bite the bullet on the annual fee and apply.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
6193 posts
1612 upvotes
Toronto
damn. my vacation is May 2013. I didn't get any email regarding the free night even though I got approved instantly. Maybe it had to do with me who do not already have a Marriott reward number on the application? I will try to ask them to extend the free night cert til May if possible :(
crimsona wrote: The email does elaborate a bit. Stay must be completed by that date:

Reward Details
--------------------------------
Description: 34C MR VISA CA FREE NIGHT CERT OFFER
Reward certificate number:
Reward code: 34C
Valid at hotel categories: Categories 1-4
Valid for stays through: Friday, March 1, 2013
Certificate deposit date: Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Reward Terms & Conditions
Free Night Stay E-Certificate is valid for hotels in categories 1-4. For participating category 1-4 locations, log on to MarriottRewards.com or call 800-321-7396. The E-Certificate must be redeemed within 6 months from date of issue. E-Certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Credit Cardmembers. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Credit Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5314 posts
2787 upvotes
Northside
How long does it take to get an e-mail for the free night? how do i book it? thx
Aug 18, 2011
445 posts
113 upvotes
Brossard
Boycott Marriott, google it if you dont know why.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3503 posts
2706 upvotes
GTA
Relayers wrote: Boycott Marriott, google it if you dont know why.
Dumbest post of the day
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5314 posts
2787 upvotes
Northside
ricedion wrote: I got instant approval as well, but I didnt receive any email in regards to the free night.
From the terms and condition - The E-Certificate must be redeemed within 6 months from date of issue
It says "redeemed", does it mean i have to stay at a hotel within 6 months, or I can just redeem it for a hotel stay, say 1 year from now?
i didn't get an e-mail either

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)