Credit Cards

Locked: Chase Marriott Visa, 50 K points+1 free night annual, no foreign transaction fee

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 8:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25748 posts
7658 upvotes
where I belong
husssaler wrote: Hey guys i recently got this card and they're telling me it takes 3 months to get the points? Also i've spent 3-4 stays within the last month at mariotts and haven't seen the 5 point bonuses per dollar. Do they hit after evey pay cycle? or should they show up as soon as the transaction hits my reward account?
At statement date (11th monthly)
Points will show on your statement, and in your Marriott account around 18-19th
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4942 posts
2039 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dang. Just had annual fee applied on this months statement (thought it was next month) before I had a chance to cancel.

Does Chase let you cancel with 30 days of it being charged and have the fee refunded? I don't need the Cat 5 hotel certificate this year, so was planning to cancel and churn next year.

Or am I stuck with trying to find a free night?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25748 posts
7658 upvotes
where I belong
coleworld wrote: Dang. Just had annual fee applied on this months statement (thought it was next month) before I had a chance to cancel.

Does Chase let you cancel with 30 days of it being charged and have the fee refunded? I don't need the Cat 5 hotel certificate this year, so was planning to cancel and churn next year.

Call Chase, we wouldn't know for sure

Previous stories have indicated that Chase does NOT refund renewal fee, so it's YMMV
Oct 31, 2004
166 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks to those who said they were able to apply after cancelling their cards!
I cancelled my card in January/February and just applied now and got approved. Question I had is for those who got approved 2nd/3rd time around - did you get the welcome bonuses and FYF?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5536 posts
2063 upvotes
ForeverBlue wrote: Thanks to those who said they were able to apply after cancelling their cards!
I cancelled my card in January/February and just applied now and got approved. Question I had is for those who got approved 2nd/3rd time around - did you get the welcome bonuses and FYF?
Hopefully you used the right link and get 50k pts instead of 30k pts. We got our cards a 2nd time about 5 months ago and got the welcome bonuses and FYF. Most churners though didn't get the free night e cert.

For me, the Marriott card is one of the top 3 cards to churn. The other 2 being amex personal gold and amex air miles plat. If spending $5k is not a problem, another great card is amex biz gold. One reason those cards are great is because of the referral pts/miles.
Oct 31, 2004
166 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the heads up on the free night e-cert. I used a link that was suppose to get me 50k, so crossing fingers that happens. Did you end up getting the elite 15 nights to go towards your status as well? I'm hoping for that as well since I have silver status so want to get bumped back up to gold status this year. There's a lot better perks with the gold status with Marriott. Last Christmas I spent my points at the Hong Kong Marriott at the airport and get upgraded to a beautiful suite and the most amazing complimentary buffet breakfast because of the gold status. But this year dropped back to Silver Status :(
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5536 posts
2063 upvotes
ForeverBlue wrote: Thanks for the heads up on the free night e-cert. I used a link that was suppose to get me 50k, so crossing fingers that happens. Did you end up getting the elite 15 nights to go towards your status as well? I'm hoping for that as well since I have silver status so want to get bumped back up to gold status this year. There's a lot better perks with the gold status with Marriott. Last Christmas I spent my points at the Hong Kong Marriott at the airport and get upgraded to a beautiful suite and the most amazing complimentary buffet breakfast because of the gold status. But this year dropped back to Silver Status :(
I got the 15 nights to get from basic to silver status. After I cancelled the card, I dropped from silver to basic. I think you need 50 nights to get to gold. Never researched using pts for Marriott hotel in HK. Recently saw a 4-4.5 star Marriott in Shanghai that was only 10k pts (if I remember correctly) per night. Stay 4 nights with pts and get 5th for free. Great deal. Really depends on the city. I was in LA over Easter and managed to find a decent hotel at 15k pts per night. You get better value at certain hotels, even in the same area/vicinity.
Aug 3, 2006
755 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
Whap happens if you don't provide a Marriott membership number on the application?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25748 posts
7658 upvotes
where I belong
BoogieMan wrote: Whap happens if you don't provide a Marriott membership number on the application?
Chase/Marriott will create a new account for you
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4942 posts
2039 upvotes
Winnipeg
coleworld wrote: Dang. Just had annual fee applied on this months statement (thought it was next month) before I had a chance to cancel.

jerryhung wrote: Call Chase, we wouldn't know for sure

Previous stories have indicated that Chase does NOT refund renewal fee, so it's YMMV
Just called Chase to cancel after seeing my annual fee charged on my 12th statement.

Said I wasn't finding a use for the points to justify the annual fee, so they refunded my $120 and cancel the card.

Also asked if they could transfer the card to the Amazon with a no-go of course, but thought I would try.

...Now how long to wait to churn this card...? ? ?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
1347 posts
673 upvotes
London, ON
Applied late last week and the e-cert for the free night just showed up today. :) I used to have this card a few years ago and they seemed to attach the free night to my old account number. So far so good, now to see if I get 50,000 points.
Oct 31, 2004
166 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
I got my card last week - this is the 2nd time I have gotten approved for this card. I only cancelled back in Jan/Feb. Haven't seen the free night come through. Prob won't get it as per what people said earlier in the posts. However did anyone get charged the annual fee or should I get it free? Also didn't get my 15 nights bonus in my status. Anyone see that happen to them as well?
Apr 29, 2015
208 posts
225 upvotes
Kanata, ON
Thanks Jerryhung the marriott link online application worked great for me today - I called after and was told that I did receive the 50K . Awesome. (Operator informed me that the 50K is a special offer - 30K is the standard offer unless you receive a code by mail -- or use the link you provided)
Feb 7, 2011
28 posts
18 upvotes
I'm looking at getting the Chase Marriott card with the 50K promo... however I've got a question about the certificate they give you. When does the validity end? Is it six months from when you apply? Also, do you have to reserve a room before the validity ends or actually stay before the validity ends?

The reason I'm asking is I probably won't have the opportunity to use the credit until a bit before Christmas, which is a bit over 6 months from now. But I also don't want to wait and potentially lose the 50K bonus.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
2679 posts
437 upvotes
North Vancouver
tahlfors wrote: I'm looking at getting the Chase Marriott card with the 50K promo... however I've got a question about the certificate they give you. When does the validity end? Is it six months from when you apply? Also, do you have to reserve a room before the validity ends or actually stay before the validity ends?

The reason I'm asking is I probably won't have the opportunity to use the credit until a bit before Christmas, which is a bit over 6 months from now. But I also don't want to wait and potentially lose the 50K bonus.
it's actually stay date, not your reserve date

you can always call them to ask for extend the free night expiry date, YMMV though, I did twice, every time need speak with 2-3 reps and finally find someone willing to do it.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4942 posts
2039 upvotes
Winnipeg
ecgz88 wrote: it's actually stay date, not your reserve date

you can always call them to ask for extend the free night expiry date, YMMV though, I did twice, every time need speak with 2-3 reps and finally find someone willing to do it.
+1 I had mine extended another 6 months, you just have to call about 1 month before it expires.
Jun 12, 2011
352 posts
258 upvotes
TORONTO
Just applied and was approved for this card. However, the limit is much lower than I expected; 2k. I have a 10k limit TD First Class Visa Infinite and a 10k limit Scotia Gold AMEX (from a couple years ago, inquiries aren't even on my profile anymore). I have a relatively high income and excellent credit. All cards always paid off in full.

Does anyone know if I'd have any luck getting the limit raised by calling in and speaking to a supervisor? If not, what's the best approach to getting limit increases from Chase?

I'd like to use this card for foreign purchases, but travel for 1-2 months at a time and could really use a higher limit.
Sep 23, 2012
153 posts
22 upvotes
Edmonton
droided wrote: Just applied and was approved for this card. However, the limit is much lower than I expected; 2k. I have a 10k limit TD First Class Visa Infinite and a 10k limit Scotia Gold AMEX (from a couple years ago, inquiries aren't even on my profile anymore). I have a relatively high income and excellent credit. All cards always paid off in full.

Does anyone know if I'd have any luck getting the limit raised by calling in and speaking to a supervisor? If not, what's the best approach to getting limit increases from Chase?

I'd like to use this card for foreign purchases, but travel for 1-2 months at a time and could really use a higher limit.
No hurt to give a call to Chase. I have successfully got a limit increase from other CC company by calling in, so it might work. If not, at least you can deposit some cash into your CC before your travel.