Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28623 upvotes
Vancouver

Chase Marriott Visa—all accounts closed March 15, 2018

The other thread got locked, so I'm continuing the discussion here. Yes it's true that this card is no longer available as of September 5th, 2017.

Card summary, for those of us who still have it:

• No surcharge on purchases made in a foreign currency, only Visa's exchange rate applies
  • 5 points per $1 spent at over 3,500 participating Marriott locations
  • 2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants
  • 1 point per $1 spent on purchases elsewhere
  • Achieve the next Elite membership level faster with 15 Nights Credit every year
  • Receive one anniversary bonus free night stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year just for having the card
  • No charge for additional cards
  • $120 annual fee
  • Marriott points expire if there is no activity on your account for more than two years

Marriott hotel categories
Master list of Marriott hotels by rate category
Marriott Rewards site, for redeeming points

Last edited by Kiraly on Sep 25th, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
875 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Lucky I churned this one in time.
Everyone called it right about the 5yr EOL.
Apr 28, 2012
964 posts
345 upvotes
QC
Happy that I did not cancel mine in an attempt to churn, I still have an active account. I was suspecting that the discontinuation was coming soon
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28623 upvotes
Vancouver
I applied and was approved a week before September 5th. I'll be keeping it for a year and canceling it before the annual fee comes due. I was needing a card for foreign purchases and was going to get the Fido card, but when I saw the 50,000 point welcome bonus for this card (worth $400+) I figured why the heck not.
Jul 4, 2017
799 posts
309 upvotes
I'm considering keeping it till they eventually pull the card. Will depend on how easy it is to use the $120 anniversary free night next year
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2004
1163 posts
791 upvotes
Wife and I will be keeping our card for the anniversary free night certificate, if it is still available, and as long as the USD-CAD exchange rate doesn't dip below $1.10 CAD - $1 USD. I will get use out of the free 15 night credits also for next year, so I really hope the card stays active into February. I am interested to see if the free night still shows up for people moving forward though.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4191 posts
5293 upvotes
on the links!
joeags wrote: and as long as the USD-CAD exchange rate doesn't dip below $1.10 CAD - $1 USD.
Why would it matter what the conversion rate is? If you plan to make USD purchases, you're saving 2.5% in exchange fees regardless.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Figured either the Marriott Visa or the Starwood Amex (or both) would go eventually. With Chase walking away from their Canadian business it was only a matter of time.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28623 upvotes
Vancouver
Sauerkraut wrote: Why would it matter what the conversion rate is? If you plan to make USD purchases, you're saving 2.5% in exchange fees regardless.
I think he means that if the Canadian dollar strengthens enough, it will be more favorable to just pay for a room than to redeem points for it. When redeeming points for hotels outside of Canada, the value of the points goes up as the value of the CAD goes down.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2004
1163 posts
791 upvotes
Sauerkraut wrote: Why would it matter what the conversion rate is? If you plan to make USD purchases, you're saving 2.5% in exchange fees regardless.
Kiraly wrote: I think he means that if the Canadian dollar strengthens enough, it will be more favorable to just pay for a room than to redeem points for it. When redeeming points for hotels outside of Canada, the value of the points goes up as the value of the CAD goes down.
Exactly - I already have US cards that I use for foreign exchange fees, so that's not as important to me. (Although not having chip and pin in Europe this summer with my US cards was annoying, and no tap ability - especially when my wife would pull out this one and she wouldn't have to sign anything!!) The value of the free night is where it comes into play for me. I get good use out of the certificates with the current USD value. Even at par I could make out ok, but then it would be frustrating to pay $120 for a card / free night certificate that is $85 in the US.
Nov 8, 2015
13 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Anyone knows how long of a warning Chase gave in the past for their other cards that got cancelled ? i.e Should we expect a letter that says : your card is cancelled as of now or you may still use your card for another 3 months or so... ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
When Cap 1 cancelled their IHG card, they stopped new applications, and then did not renew anyone. So they basically let the existing card members "die out".

Don't know what Chase will do for this card. But much of it seem to depend on the progress of Marriott eating up SPG.
Nov 8, 2015
13 posts
17 upvotes
Montreal, QC
By die out, you mean that people got to keep their IHG credit card until its expiration date ? So there's still people out there with that card ? Would be better than nothing for my Marriott chase. But so many thing could happen with Scotiabank takeover and Marriott merger...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
In Cap1 IHG card, they let the card die out by not allowing anyone to renew, after announcing they were stopping the card. So it took one year for all cards to die out.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28623 upvotes
Vancouver
In the Chase Amazon thread, some have been reporting that their Amazon and Marriott cards have been cancelled over the past few days. Anyone else? I just used my Marriott card last night without a problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1280 upvotes
ON
From what I read it was only one person. Don't think they are closing accounts
Jun 21, 2016
230 posts
88 upvotes
Does anyone know the rules for transferring Marriott points between spouses?
I was told there is a 50k point limit per year (I have gold status so want any hotel bookings to be through my account).
Anyone have experience with this?? Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7371 posts
9176 upvotes
Montreal
Ontariotraveller wrote: Does anyone know the rules for transferring Marriott points between spouses?
I was told there is a 50k point limit per year (I have gold status so want any hotel bookings to be through my account).
Limit of 50k per year at Marriott. But you can get around that by converting your spouse's Marriott points to Starwood points. Then transfer to your Starwood account. (Starwood doesn't have a transfer limit per year, but you can only transfer in increments of 1,000 points.) Then transfer back to your Marriott account.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2004
1163 posts
791 upvotes
Ontariotraveller wrote: Does anyone know the rules for transferring Marriott points between spouses?
efrant wrote: Limit of 50k per year at Marriott. But you can get around that by converting your spouse's Marriott points to Starwood points. Then transfer to your Starwood account. (Starwood doesn't have a transfer limit per year, but you can only transfer in increments of 1,000 points.) Then transfer back to your Marriott account.
efrant's suggestion is the easiest. You can also make a booking with one of the Marriott accounts, and any points beyond the 50k point limit needed to finish the booking can be transferred from a spouse. They've actually been enforcing the 50k transfer this year (all 4 of my travel packages this year attempted the 50k transfer first, when it didn't happen at all last year). The one decent benefit of this method is you don't have to wait for the SPG to SPG transfer to take place (it isn't instantaneous like SPG -> MaR / MaR -> SPG). I waited until the last day for the 35% bonus in August, and didn't have time for the SPG to SPG transfer.
Jun 21, 2016
230 posts
88 upvotes
joeags wrote: efrant's suggestion is the easiest. You can also make a booking with one of the Marriott accounts, and any points beyond the 50k point limit needed to finish the booking can be transferred from a spouse. They've actually been enforcing the 50k transfer this year (all 4 of my travel packages this year attempted the 50k transfer first, when it didn't happen at all last year). The one decent benefit of this method is you don't have to wait for the SPG to SPG transfer to take place (it isn't instantaneous like SPG -> MaR / MaR -> SPG). I waited until the last day for the 35% bonus in August, and didn't have time for the SPG to SPG transfer.
Thanks guys, what is the process for transferring between SPG accounts? How long does it take? I have transferred from spg to Marriott, but never done a SPG transfer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)