Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8889 posts
5881 upvotes
Global Village

ChatGPT looks like a gamechanger

It looks like this AI can't be ignored. It can create University-level assignments, bedtime stories for kids, business plans, RFD posts, etc and it will be tough to tell the work is not human as it gets better.

https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/202 ... ne.html?rf

All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
92 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1062 posts
1709 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
I have seen a lot of this AI operate in Tik Tok videos, It's really crazy what this AI can do.

I don't know anything about scripts or AI or programming but the things this AI can do and is shown doing in videos is absolutely insane and mind blowing.

Skynet has arrived.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8623 posts
5554 upvotes
Mississauga
And once it becomes self-aware, we’re all in big trouble.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
3385 posts
636 upvotes
Toronto
Googl goog is either trembling or salivating.

Msft ibm what’s taking them so long?

Time to revisit the amount of baidu shares I have
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2281 posts
851 upvotes
mrweather wrote: And once it becomes self-aware, we’re all in big trouble.
AI already lurking for years. I mean look at smartphones-the device in your pocket will sooner or later take away alot of jobs
Temp. Banned
Apr 28, 2010
1117 posts
1869 upvotes
richmond hill
kenvin100 wrote: AI already lurking for years. I mean look at smartphones-the device in your pocket will sooner or later take away alot of jobs
And that is why I’m a Drywaller 🤣
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3671 posts
1418 upvotes
Woodbridge
I've already found so many exciting use cases as a teacher. My students and I have been playing around with it. This will definitely require some necessary shifts in education. For too long, we've been focusing on the final product rather than evaluate the thought process involved in creating it. Formulating the right questions, recognizing which parts of the response need to be revised, identifying opportunities for more specific connections etc. should be the focus of assessment. ChatGPT can do a wonderful job of writing an essay explaining how the experiences and perspectives of the characters in The Handmaid's Tale reflect or challenge dominant narratives and cultural assumptions about race, gender, and class, and how those issues intersect in the context of the text. What ChatGPT can't do is tell me why I should care, or how that analysis should inform my actions and thoughts. But student papers don't do that now. You see educators on Twitter ranging from elementary school to graduate school posting examples of test/exam/essay questions and saying that ChatGPT's answer would score better than most of their students. If there was any doubt that our education systems have been tragically falling behind the rest of society, it should now be gone. And already there are people calling for everything to go back to paper and pencil. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2281 posts
851 upvotes
louis77 wrote: And that is why I’m a Drywaller 🤣
Good for you. Seriously wish they stressed the importance of finding creative jobs like that-difficult to automate. A skill in 2022 is brutally under rated. Almost everyone can work a computer
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3671 posts
1418 upvotes
Woodbridge
louis77 wrote: And that is why I’m a Drywaller 🤣
Yep. There's been a big push to position the skilled trades as a viable, and perhaps superior career path. 40% of new jobs in 2025 will be in the skilled trades. The crazy thing is that an AI might one day be able to: "Design a 57 storey building with 476 apartments, 30% of which are 700 square foot 1 bedroom, 30% are 1200 square foot 2 bedroom... with a 3 floor penthouse suite and a 3 floor parking garage on a lot which measures... apply design elements consistent with such and such and use the following materials." Know what the AI won't be able to do? Lay the bricks.

And it's not that AI will be able to replace architects, at least not anytime soon. What I think AI will be able to do is make an architect's work far more efficient, such that you'll need fewer people working fewer hours to produce the same amount of work.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8889 posts
5881 upvotes
Global Village
OntEdTchr wrote: I've already found so many exciting use cases as a teacher. My students and I have been playing around with it. This will definitely require some necessary shifts in education. For too long, we've been focusing on the final product rather than evaluate the thought process involved in creating it. Formulating the right questions, recognizing which parts of the response need to be revised, identifying opportunities for more specific connections etc. should be the focus of assessment. ChatGPT can do a wonderful job of writing an essay explaining how the experiences and perspectives of the characters in The Handmaid's Tale reflect or challenge dominant narratives and cultural assumptions about race, gender, and class, and how those issues intersect in the context of the text. What ChatGPT can't do is tell me why I should care, or how that analysis should inform my actions and thoughts. But student papers don't do that now. You see educators on Twitter ranging from elementary school to graduate school posting examples of test/exam/essay questions and saying that ChatGPT's answer would score better than most of their students. If there was any doubt that our education systems have been tragically falling behind the rest of society, it should now be gone. And already there are people calling for everything to go back to paper and pencil. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.
I have to say I am impressed that you have embraced this as a teaching tool, I was thinking teachers would really fear this as it puts an end to take home student assignments. Is there any way you can tell if an assignment a student submits is created by ChatGPT?

Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3671 posts
1418 upvotes
Woodbridge
scoper wrote: I have to say I am impressed that you have embraced this as a teaching tool, I was thinking teachers would really fear this as it puts an end to take home student assignments. Is there any way you can tell if an assignment a student submits is created by ChatGPT?
Probably. There are enough opportunities for students to produce work in class that you can tell if the products they submit are consistent with all of the other observations and evidence that inform your opinion. Engaging in conversations with students about their work after they've turned it in is another way to check that they actually understood what they submitted. In that respect, ChatGPT is no different than having a tutor write it, or Fiverr, or submitting an older sibling's work who had the same teacher and wrote the same assignment. Educators also need to learn about the limitations of the tool and emphasize those. For example, several have pointed out that much of the stuff it produces lacks a sort of connection to the reader that addresses the question of "So what?" or "What do you want me to do with this information?" It can get there, eventually, through an ongoing process of prompting, but that process itself requires knowledge and understanding of the material. Simply copying/pasting an essay prompt and submitting the first thing it produces likely won't cut it.

Another interesting point is that take-home assignments aren't really meant to be part of evaluation. At least not in Ontario in Grades 1-12. "To ensure equity for all students, assignments for evaluation and tests or exams are to be completed, whenever possible, under the supervision of a teacher. Assignments for evaluation must not include ongoing homework that students do in order to consolidate their knowledge and skills to prepare for the next class. Assignments for evaluation may involve group projects as long as each student’s work within the group project is evaluated independently and assigned an individual mark, as opposed to a common group mark." https://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/policyfun ... uccess.pdf Assessment should also be based on products, conversations, and observations, and products can include performance tasks, assignments, tests/exams, essays, demonstrations, projects etc. If a teacher believes that ChatGPT represents a serious threat to their ability to evaluate and report on their student's progress, I would argue that their evaluation and reporting are inconsistent with Ministry guidelines.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4213 posts
3462 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
ChatGPT: Everything to know about the viral, ‘groundbreaking’ AI bot
https://globalnews.ca/news/9339517/chat ... elligence/
“I foresee a lot of people losing their jobs, unfortunately. It’s coming for everyone,” he said. “The era of the creator is coming to an end. It’s going to be the era of the idea person and the idea person is going to use all these magical tools and build things out.”

“No white-collar job is going to be spared, not even the musicians,” Mayya added, noting this could do anything from content writing, architecture — all the way up to filling in for the CEO of a company.

Are we even ready for what’s coming? Like ChatGPT can already do 90% of all white collar jobs in existence.

Where are these people going to go? How are they going to pay off existing loans? How are they going to earn? (not earn less, they’ll earn 0)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8889 posts
5881 upvotes
Global Village
ADenariusSaved wrote: ChatGPT: Everything to know about the viral, ‘groundbreaking’ AI bot
https://globalnews.ca/news/9339517/chat ... elligence/
I think you can add journalists to the list. Nothing stopping it from creating human sounding news articles online about any topic. Heck you could start your own news website with just ChatGPT writing all the articles you ask it to at a fraction of the cost of a major news site and make $ from ads, you would just need some bodies for the fact-checking if you're into that sort of thing.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8346 posts
1894 upvotes
3-4 billion people will be losing their white collar jobs in the next 5-10 years. Blue collar will last quite a bit longer, but not everywhere.

small edit: in case you were wondering why several countries were testing UBI a few years ago, and why a lot of countries in the near future will go from 5 work days per week, to 4 days per week, but not stop there.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2190 posts
1590 upvotes
Vancouver
AI currently is essentially the iPhone Auto-correct on steroids. By giving it tons & tons of training data, they have created an algorithm that can create what looks like human speech. But that is all it is. A parlor trick. Like a bird that can imitate human speech.

News companies have been using such algorithms since quite some time and the results are quite often obvious.
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2177 posts
2094 upvotes
If I want to chat for services esp financial and government matters, I prefer a live person. not a AI bot probing my brain. Disappointed Face
Life is full of twists.
Stay flexible.